Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 05-20-2011, 03:28 AM   #1
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Ah...the sweet sounds of camping

They're back this year...those billions and billions of sweet-sounding cicadas! What a good time to try out those noise canceling headphones! Let's see, living rural 13 years ago when they last appeared, I remember my local birds ate so many they could hardly get off the ground! And being so stuffed with the ugly mites, they left our cherry trees alone that year.

Old 05-20-2011, 05:56 AM   #2
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
I remember these from living in Albuquerque for a couple of summers. The noise was incredible and the locals didn't even notice. A few weeks living there and we got used to the noise too. But they are ugly, even when they back out of their exoskeleton as they shed. They leave behind an equally ugly exoskeleton that is good for scaring the women. They are big and fat and make an awful mess if you accidentally step on one.

I learned the noise is from organs on the male bodies as part of the mating ritual and several million males looking for a mate in a town where you live can cause a lot of noise. I won't go into any more details about their life style but they live a strange but unusually long life (13-17 years.) Fortunately birds do love them.

ddettorre - At least you have a decent picture of the sideview of a Cicada, because a top view will definitely show how ugly they can be. I think that's the skin (exoskeleton) it shed. Looking forward to seeing this in your signatures!!! LOL
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 06:40 AM   #3
kramperD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8078
Art - just had to post it....you know how it is when something just "bugs" you!!!! Oh...and also first pic! Hope I put it in the right place.....forum, look out!!!