Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2011, 06:39 AM   #1
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Future Reference: Open Locked Splendide Door

Just in case you're ever in the situation I was in last weekend, when my Splendide washer/drier combo filled with water and then died on me, here's what the Splendide technician had me do to unlock the door so that I could get the wet clothes our before they mildewed: Take off the bottom panel (had to use a butter knife to get it started and then I was ablt to pry it off with my fingers, although I did break several nails in the process). On the right, you'll see a round plug. Collect a LOT of towels; stuff what you can under and on either side of that plug. You also need to have a big stack of towels near you. Slowly unscrew the plug; water will start coming out--a lot of water. As the first towels you put around the plug are soaked, stop the water by screwing the plug back in and grab the dry towels to replace the wet ones. Continue doing that until all the water is out of the tub. Voila! The door will now open.

If the door won't open because of another problem, that process won't work. But, if you know the tub has some water in it when the breakdown occurs, chances are by draining the water you will be able to open the washer door.

If I'd had a hose at hand, I might have been able to siphon the water as it came out of the drain. I'm sure there are other ways to deal with the water in a more efficient manner than mine, too.

By the way, the Splendide technicians were wonderful to work with via phone. They put the CUSTOMER back into customer service.

Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:06 AM   #2
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Good description, Carolyn. When I installed my Splendide stack, I drilled a hole through the floor (making sure to miss all the waste tanks) and put a tube through the hole and out the bottom extending below the belly pan about 3". After caulking around the entire closet and building a shallow ridge at the door, I figured I was ready for overflows and other unwanted water issues.

So far, after making preparations for a problem, I haven't had any. But I think I am ready. I have had to do the towel thing in the past.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 03:04 PM   #3
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Carolyn there are better ways to handle this problem you could put the washer in the back of Waynes truck and just back up to the house and use it like that. That way you would not need the towels. Hey I have seen this and not on TV and not far from where I live!! LOL.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Stiles, now WHY didn't my dealer think about something along the lines of your idea? Being a newbie RV owner when we bought our Montana, we had no idea of what a problem a washer could be, especially when it's installed in the bedroom, in a very tight space, and has no place to drain.

Scductman, you might be on to something! I've seen a lot of washers sitting on front porches back in the wilds of Texas, but in the bed of a pickup--never!

Carolyn
Old 04-26-2011, 04:47 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
So, what was the problem to begin with?????
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 06:59 PM   #6
7.3Ford
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9808
As many suggested here, I put a drain pan in to catch any overflow.

7.3Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
John, that's a great setup, and when we take our rig to Clackamas to have the washer repaired, I'm going to see if I can talk the service department into putting in a drain pan before they put the machine back in the cubbyhole. I'd pay them to do that, of course, but they may not want to do more than just repair my machine.

Carolyn
Old 04-27-2011, 04:04 PM   #8
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Carolyn you said the magic word "PAY" they will put it in. That is a very good idea John thats why you put a drain pan under a airhandler in a attic space.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:19 AM   #9
thundercat
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1405
When we ordered the washer dryer for our unit we ordered it with the drain pan installed. I considered it cheap insurance.

thundercat is offline   Reply With Quote