Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 AM   #1
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Are you Weight Frugal?

This isn’t intended to be a weight police thread or anything like that but just comments on what steps may have been taken in reducing extra weight and our thought process as to what we need to take with us in our travels or camping trips. After reading through a recent weight thread it reminded me as to one approach we took in reducing extra weight that we carried around with us.

When I became concerned about the total weight, tow ratings, etc… I went through our rig and removed all of the un-necessary weights I could find that we were simply carrying as dead weight. I didn’t return to the scales to see the actual difference but I was really surprised at the outcome. What I discovered was that with a little lightening up just how much easier the rig towed and pulled when comparing to trips made before. Maybe it was my imagination but it really seemed to feel lighter and less strain-full on the T/V. I removed un-necessary items both inside & out such as tools that I was carrying, a tri-pod jack stand and other jack stands that were used for the slides. I also quit carrying a large piece of carpet which not only added weight but created a lot of bulk and took up a lot of room in the truck bed. All of these things added quite a bit of weight overall and it was surprising to me just how much difference it seemed to make when towing. I didn’t remove everything but chose to keep necessary tools and essential items that we use on the trips we make. I’m certain all of our needs may vary as to what we carry based on many different things. However, there seemed to be a lot of things we could do without.

I guess the whole point of this post is to emphasize just how quickly things can add up creating additional weight that we haul around. The extra items that were not needed for our style of travel seemed to add up quickly. I know with the price of fuel today and the desire to get the best mileage possible, I’ll be keeping all this in mind when loading up and preparing for a trip.

Happy camping and have a great summer!

Old 03-29-2011, 01:17 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

My wife and I commonly carry some very heavy items in the basement. We also carry a full tank of potable water because we will find our selves at one of the event sites that is off grid and will need shower water. We have weighed every thing that goes in the basement. This past weekend we used the Montana for an event that is unrelated to her hobby. We did a round trip of 300 miles without any thing in the water or waste tanks as well as about 1,400 lbs less weight in the basement. While I didn’t see any difference in fuel mileage I do believe the unit handled better.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:20 AM   #3
indy roadrunner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5634
Bill - very thought provoking. When we first got into camping and we would go on a week's vacation we would plan out a week of meals, load up on supplies to last a week, enough tools to plant a garden and overhaul a engine complete with spare parts. I'm making some of this up but you get the point. We get to where we were going and there is a grocery store right across the street and of couse a Walmart within walking distance. Also with 38 feet of trailer back there we just throw stuff in anywhere with space left over - good lets take more stuff with us. We have since learned that we only pack enough food for the initial trip and staples like salt and pepper and then stock up when we get there. I only carry enough tools for minor repais. I also look at estimated weight of stuff and remember that the axles of the trailer is a pivot point and try to place some weight in the back of the trailer and I actually have space available in the underneath storage area. In the back of the TV I carry trailer chocks, and a bicycle. So to answer your question are we frugal with weight - yes, and weight and balance - where the distribution of the weight is located.
indy roadrunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 01:51 AM   #4
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
We certainly have found that with our last two Montys, the 3400 and the 3455, that there is more than ample storage both inside and out. Therefore, we keep adding to the rig a little of this and a little of that on a regular basis. We make shelves and dividers in our cupboards that in turn allow us to add even more stuff withouy noticing too much. Each year(spring) we wade through our rig from one end to the other and lighten the load to the point we actually have empty spaces. Then in April we proceed for the next 6 months to add a little here and a little there. Perhaps, like building a bigger garage each time, if we didn't have so much storage this wouldn't constantly keep occurring. So to answer your question, are we weight frugal, I would have to say yes.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:44 AM   #5
cdaniels
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7380
We did not realize how much of this and that you collect until you are moving from the old unit to the new one. It is very surprising what you have that you have not used for a long time thinking you may need it. We are in the process of buying a new used Montana and we have a different mind set on what we are loading. The extra stuff we never used is now in the attic. It is rediuclous how many double items. As we are packing for Florida we to have decided to replenish once we are there at area groc. stores. Usually what we took even as staples we brought back because we ate out more than we thought we would. Is'nt that what vac. is??
cdaniels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:13 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I told Sue it's silly to go to Sam's Club, stock the trailer and drive 1,000 miles then camp 6 miles from another Sam's Club (or Wal*Mart) So now, we will carry minimal supplies and stock up when we get there.
She said she knew that....
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:29 AM   #7
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
We know we are not loaded light. The Monty is home away from home and it is also the office away from the office. We do not see the Monty as a camper or for camping. For us it a apartment on wheels (it is half the size of our first apartment) with a changing view. So we bring all the comforts of home with us. In addition we can not just leave work behind and we are still working for a living. While I have very capable employees back in the office I still have to work a little bit each day. So I have to bring everything I may need with me.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 04:42 AM   #8
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
Good topic Bill I've been thinking about starting this topic with the high fuel prices, tire, u-bolt and flex-frame problems members have seen. Things we have been doing are paper plates, less stock of can goods, less bottle water, lighter cookware. We gave the fold out bed away years ago, with the Montana recliners, bought two lighter Lazy Boys. Out with the tube TV in with the LCD. Weeded out tools try to travel with no water in tanks we carry little bit of water in bathroom to use as needed. Just carry one 30# LP bottle as that will last all summer cooking needs and can get it filled any time we need more. I need to find a way to carry less wood to support front legs and screw jacks that we use to set up for our longer stays.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:40 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
yes we are weight aware ever since we got weighed at the fall rally a couple of years ago and nearly had a heart attack.
We empty the camper every year when we get home and toss everything we did not use and only load what is necessary to us. Weight adds up.

We are under EVERY spec now.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #10
CamillaMichael
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10246
Agree, a check periodically for things we never use helps to keep our weight down.
CamillaMichael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 12:44 PM   #11
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I also am fully weight aware. I am aware of everything that fills up the basement and the other compartment. Now I am looking at adding a 30 pound propane cylinder just for a backup. Thank goodness for the one ton and the 614's. I find it very hard to believe that any appreciable difference would be had in fuel mileage pulling a 12,000 to 15,000 pound un-aerodynamic weight down the road by lightening it by a few hundred pounds. We do clean out the extras that we don't use occasionally, but then we end up camping close to a Camping World and add more of those gotta-have, oooohhh look at what is new, on sale items!! It never ends!!!
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #12
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
When our unit was used only for camping we got around 11 mpg pulling. Now that we are full timers the unit is loaded and we still get 11 mpg pulling. I do not see any difference in handling. What I do see that makes a difference in MPG is my speed not weight.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 04:15 AM   #13
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
The air displacement has more affect on your fuel mileage than the weight. My neighbor has a toyhauler that is 14k# loaded. Gets 11mpg. The flatbed he pulls daily is 20k# loaded. Gets 14 with it. Loaded the flatbed is never higher than the truck.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote