Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-21-2011, 11:14 AM   #21
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
When my batteries were getting old (and weak) my truck had some trouble starting but once it got going it was really rough. After both batteries finally died, I got new batteries and things started much better. But this was slow gradual barely noticeable thing and I attributed it to not driving the truck enough.

I don't think this is the OP's problem because the symptoms seem different. But that's a great note for us all to keep in mind. In my gas cars if the batteries were weak, they wouldn't start any part of the car. The diesel batteries need to work even before getting the engine started by getting the glow plugs going.

Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:57 AM   #22
sola123
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10136
Ford mechanic stated that glow plugs stay on same lenght of time wether batteries are really hot or not..they may crank the truck but not heat the glow plugs properly..new batteries..problem solved....my truck would start..sounded like it was running on 2 cylinders,,then maybe 4 or 5 then finally 7 or 8..new batteries...cranks right up...but I guess it could be something else...
sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 08:16 AM   #23
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bill maietta

had this truck for awhile now but noticed this year it runs really rough when cold. i live in Ft Lauderdale. After 4 or 5 minutes it runs fine. Mind you the cold im talking about is 40 or 50. is this normal for a 6.0?

I just got my truck back from the dealer today after having service for basically the same thing. I waited until now to make a post here because I wanted to find out what the problem was. My truck was having a lot of trouble starting when cold without being plugged in. I had to try about 6-7 times to get it started once on a cold day after it sat for about 12 hours. When it did finally start it was real rough for a while until it got warmer. When the motor was warm it still had a miss in it.

The problem I had was the result of 1 bad glow-plug, a glow-plug relay which was kicking in just the opposite to what it should be doing. When I started it up and the plugs were supposed to be doing their thing the relay was actually turning them off. Wired I know but that is what I was told. The 3rd thing I had to show up was the sensor for the ICP unit. They did indicate that I had 2 injectors which were partially plugged but that created a slight miss going down the road while the cruise was on. However, they indicated a little injector cleaner may completely clear it up. To replace both of them it would be another $1,000. I told them I would try it out first. They actually advised that I probably didn’t need to do anything with them now. The truck is running so much better now than it was. I called them back per their request just to let them know how it was doing and I told them that I wanted to say it was purring like a kitten but I told them that that was the wrong terminology to use; it was actually roaring like a lion. That scared them a little at first but I was just having a little fun with them. I did tell them it was much better than it was before.

Old 01-24-2011, 01:47 PM   #24
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
If you have a good code reader it will tell you code for the glow plugs...as those are non-CEL (Check Engine Light) fault. I have this one http://www.autoenginuity.com/
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 01:32 AM   #25
artfuldodger
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10933
Just read this post now and yes, this is very common on the 6l diesel. The problem even has a name,"Stiction". look it up on the Ford Forum (Ford Truck Enthusiasts). The injectors receive pressure from engine oil pressure which drives the injector . Recent "green" laws prohibit oil companies from adding certain components that used to eliminate the buildup of impurities that foul the injectors. It takes a while for the varnishes to accumulate enough to cause the injectors to stick when the oil is cold and therefore thicker than when warm. The good news is that there is help. 1. Change to synthetic oil(in the north I use Shell Rotella 5W40) 2. add what is called REV-X (google it)which adds the components that the oil company left out, to clean the varnishes built up in the injectors. REV-X is not cheap but is a less expensive by a long way than replacing the dirty injectors.
2011 Ford f350 srw long box Lariat with B&W Patriot hitch. Residential Fridge.
artfuldodger is offline   Reply With Quote