Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-19-2010, 05:49 AM   #1
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Suddenly about to be wealthy

I just received an e-mail that my e-mail address has been chosen totally at random to receive $3.4 million. All I have to do is reply with all my information to get it.
The e-mail came from an address ending @fbi.gov. How could an address with fbi and gov possibly be a scam.
The sad part is there will be many who will respond to it.

BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
And I bet the writing was like trying to read a 7 year olds. They can never seem to get their syntax straight. I used to get a lot of those and sent a very politically incorrect rude reply. That cost me in the form of huge amounts of SPAM sent in retaliation... But it was worth it just to vent... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:21 AM   #3
RCN.Stoker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9497
http://www.consumerfraudreporting.org/reporting.php

Report it. The police forces are getting better at tracking the creeps down.
RCN.Stoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:33 AM   #4
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
The Federal Trade Commission has oversight on items like this. There is a wealth of information on their web site that can be read to get oneself up to date.

FTC Privacy/ID Theft

From there web site:
"If you get spam email that you think is deceptive, forward it to spam@uce.gov. The FTC uses the spam stored in this database to pursue law enforcement actions against people who send deceptive email."

Edited:
Er! Ah! Bill,

When you get all of your money, consider this posting as services and send me some please.

Thanks.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 08:57 AM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
ROFLMAO

A read on the Nigerian 419 Scam:

Caution: Contains Offensive Language in the link.
Scroll down and read the Albert Fred posts.

Ebola Monkey Man Scam
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
jackandh2o
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8010
Geez, I don't know a lot of millionaires.
Could we have your autograph?
Preferably on a blank check. haha

Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 10:33 AM   #7
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Those scams are all over my wife gets them all the time, I got one from my mail provider the other day wanting all kinds of information,password date of birth ect I turned it over to there leagle department and was told it did not come from Road Runner.
You must be very carful what you reply to anywhere now a days.
Old 08-19-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quite often these type e-mails will have a link to click on. The link typically looks like a legitimate link or e-mail address for your bank, or your credit card company, etc. But if you right click on it and then click on properties, you will typically find the actual link looks nothing like the text they want you to left click on.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I just went through the Albert Fred posts!!!!!!!!!
What a great line of BS that guy had. I was laughing out loud, all by myself.
Thanks.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 11:48 AM   #10
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
These phishing scams (and others) are getting more interesting (inventive??) all the time. I belong to a university email list that recently had a post about a site where a student can 'bet'on their final course grades. To sign up you have to provide your ID, Password, email address, DOB, etc... I have to wonder how many will actually provide that information and open up their accounts to being used for who knows what purpose. Always have to be on your guard....
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
bruiser
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6319
These types of scams are are known as the "419 advance fee fraud" - named after section 419 of the Nigerian criminal code where most of these scams originate. This has been going on for years - first through the mail, then fax machines and now through computers. Typically, they offer you huge sums of money - it can be from a widow of a dead political leader or cocoa merchant and they need your help to get the money out of the country. There are many other stories or scenarios that they use. The common thread to them all is that in order for you to get this money you have to send them money to expedite the process. They first try to get your trust and then the next thing you know, something has stopped the transfer of the money - such as government officials to be bribed, storage charges for the crate of money, anti-terrorist certificates, diplomatic insurance charges etc. The list goes on and on. Once you have sent them some money, there will be all kinds of things happening that will require more money from you. And they will always ask that the money be sent by Western Union. IT IS A SCAM. THERE IS NO MONEY TO BE SENT TO YOU. This is one of the largest industries in Western Africa and their governments are not too aggressive in trying to stop it (maybe because they are getting kickbacks). Thousands of people have lost hundreds of millions of dollars to this type of scam over the years.

Another similar scam is the lottery win. You are notified that you have won some international lottery. Same tactics - you will have to send them money to claim your prize. Once you have sent them money, something else will come up that requires more money from you.

Another scam that has surfaced recently is someone wanting to buy something you have advertised for sale on-line. They offer to buy your item - usually higher end items like cars, boats etc - for your advertised price - or more. They will even pay for shipping up front. The catch is that they will want to pay you with a cashiers cheque for more than the amount they are supposed to pay you. They tell you to go ahead and deposit the cheque and send them the difference by Western Union. The problem is that the cashiers cheques are very good forgeries and, contrary to what the bank may tell you, it can take a few weeks for the forgery to be discovered. You are now out the excess money you have sent the scammer and any of the funds from this cheque that you may have spent.

There are many more variations of these scams. If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

No, I haven't been caught by this scam but, after getting many of the faxes and e-mails over the years, I did a little bit of research and found a lot of interesting stuff. For real good information - and some good laughs as the anti-scammers have fun toying with these criminals - check out this website. www.scamorama.com.

Remember, as the sargeant in the old police show (can't remember the name) used to say - BE CAREFUL OUT THERE.
bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2010, 11:05 AM   #12
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Hill Street Blues, Sgt. Phil Esterhause... Dave P.S. I really do have a life but that was my favorite show....
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote