Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 AM   #1
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
Propane regulator

What would be causing gas to Spill/LEEK from the driver’s side propane tank regulator? When I switched tanks this morning, I noticed the site glass was still showing RED, as I doubled checked that I had the drivers side tank on I could hear GAS leaking from the small red regulator, if I look carefully I can see a small hole that the gas is escaping from ( part of the regulator ) I moved the full tank to the passengers side and we up and running, but I do not know what happened ???

RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:03 AM   #2
wegriffin
Established Member

M.O.C. #7411
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RLVoumard

What would be causing gas to Spill/LEEK from the driver’s side propane tank regulator? When I switched tanks this morning, I noticed the site glass was still showing RED, as I doubled checked that I had the drivers side tank on I could hear GAS leaking from the small red regulator, if I look carefully I can see a small hole that the gas is escaping from ( part of the regulator ) I moved the full tank to the passengers side and we up and running, but I do not know what happened ???
A leaking regulator is nothing to to ignore, and I can see you are concerned. If it is the regulator itself, unless you are trained in repairing them, I recomnmend that you buy a new one. It sounds as if the rubber diaphragm inside the regualtor may be cracked or corrosion has built up under the sealing pin and seat. When connecting tanks/regulators/hoses, I always mix a solution of dishwashing liquid and water and swab all areas with a Q-tip soaked in the solution. If there are any leaks, they will appear quite quickly in the form of bubbles. The "weep hole" in the domed part of the regulator that you may be referring to is there for the purpose of allowing gas to escape due to a regulator malfunction as described above.
wegriffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 10:08 AM   #3
RLVoumard
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6034
Yep...I think you have NAILED my problem.. rubber diaphragm inside the regualtor is stuck and the gas is escaping from the weep hole,

How common is this, never experanced this before , our 5th wheel is less than one year old ?

Thanks for your help..

RLVoumard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:13 AM   #4
lawrenceb42106
Montana Master

M.O.C. #45
We had one go bad. The 5th wheel was less than 2 years old. I would shut the propane off and get the dealer to replace it. If you are camping I would have a RV tech come out and repair it. Then give the bill to the dealer. Not something to mess around with.
lawrenceb42106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 05:17 PM   #5
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RLVoumard

Sounds exactly like what happened to mine this summer after seven years of continuous use. I'd replace the regulator immediately. It's something you can do yourself if you can handle a couple small wrenches. I paid $40 for a new regulator at my dealer's.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote