Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 AM   #1
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
AC Condensation

Finally turned the AC on last weekend and after two hours there was visible condensation forming on the AC grille and also on the ceiling leading to the vents. Eventually enough condensation formed to start dripping onto the floor. This isn't normal is it??? What could cause this and is there anything I can do to stop it?

Dental Floss Tycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:44 AM   #2
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We have to run our fan on high to keep the unit from icing up. Maybe this would help your unit. I'm sure some of the experts will be along to really help you out.
jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 03:56 AM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
The only time I have had the problem you describe is when it is very humid inside the coach, either because it is generally a very humid day or humidity is being produced in the coach (cooking or showering, etc.). The second condition seems to be when the temperature is high along with high humidity and the A/C is having a hard time keeping up. My "fix" is to turn on the second A/C, which removes more humidity. In a few minutes, the condensate stops forming on the BR ceiling vents.

Also, there is a big vent on the A/C, where it comes through the ceiling. I think OZZ called it a "dump vent" or something like that. In any case, it really increases the air flow (and the noise) and this seems to help.

In general, we try to remove as much humidity as we can by opening the vent in the bath area and creating an air exchange with the fantastic vent. We also use a desiccant like DampRid to pull excess humidity out of the air.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Stiles is correct, it's like the ice tea glass, cold glass, humid room; condensation.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 10:32 AM   #5
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
Thanks, everyone. My main concern is that the condensation doesn't ruin anything or grow mold above the ceiling panels.
Old 07-09-2007, 02:18 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never had that happen on our A/C..Anywhere, anyplace under any condition..what am I doing right???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2007, 02:52 PM   #7
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
I'm wondering if the ducting from the AC unit to the vents should be wrapped with some type of insulation and mine aren't. The area above the ceiling where the ducting is located will remain hot and humid since it won't be cooled by the AC and therefore will be a constant source of condensation if the ducting isn't protected. But how to take a look at the ducting without ripping the ceiling apart?
Old 07-09-2007, 05:25 PM   #8
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I think the ducting is just fiberglass board molded to a duct. Probably the same as your heating duct run.
The condensing should just be on the ceiling face, no danger of any moisture damage in the ceiling space, I am guessing.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 01:17 AM   #9
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I also get the condensation on the face of the grill of the living room AC. I took that as natural given the high heat and humidity down in Georgia. Shows up in particular when we reach a new campground and hookup, and the ACs try to cool down the heat that built up in the rig during the day's travel. Seemed to be no problem--I just wiped off the surface moisture so it didn't drip on the living room carpet. If it's excessive, then I open the "dump vent" as the heavy air flow out the grate seems to dry things up quickly.

I didn't see this as any particular problem. Am I missing something?
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 02:00 AM   #10
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
Dewpoint can be a wonderful thing, not unusual to have condensation, most especially when first starting the cool down process, unless ofcourse there is little humidity.
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 03:57 PM   #11
Snownyet
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6077
when its humid I get condensation on the ac ducts and on the ceiling along the ducts path, our last 5th wheel(forest river product)did the same thing. Its a byproduct of the environment
Snownyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 02:42 AM   #12
Dental Floss Tycoon
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #1817
It sounds like I will have to get used to it but I'm curious as to why the car and the stick house AC doesn't do the same thing.

Thanks to everyone who answered.