Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-16-2006, 03:56 AM   #1
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Convertor breaker problem

When we took our Monty out for our first test weekend the AC was off when we came back to it. I was really upset about this as we had a cat in there without the AC.

We took the Monty in for service work for the Apollo oven and the problem with the AC kicking off. They replaced the AC breaker, which wasn't the one that flipped. The one that flipped was the Convertor breaker. Bob thought it was the compresor breaker so when I told service about the breaker I just said the AC breaker.

What would trip the invertor breaker. When watching the repair guy yesterday that breaker was wiggling in the breaker panel. He pulled out the invertor and said he was replacing it.... All of this is a clear as mud. I just want to make sure that I don't have a cat dead from heat in the RV.

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Colleen

Edit* typed convertor and meant invertor

Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Colleen,
Probably a loose wire, look at my post on the Dometic thermostat problem.
When I first got the Monte, I checked the 12 volt panel, one of the main wires feeding the panel was just inserted into the set screw, I got 3 full turns on it. That would have led to major problems down the road.
Some trouble shooters, RV dealership's maint. people, just start replacing items in hopes of finding the problem. We call them 'Parts changers' in the trades.
Some are very good, but our chances of getting them may vary between slim and none.
Good luck with your problem, I know how frustrating this type of problem is, when you have a loved one depending on their work for comfort, and possibly survival....
Take care, Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 3,000 watt inverter, automatic transfer switch
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:26 AM   #3
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Sometimes mine kicks so when I leave my dog I turn the fan on. That keep some of the high starting current down. Sometimes I just turn the A/C to low on the thermostat to keep it on while I am gone. I think it is the starting currents that usually trip breakers.

Tom and Betty
1997 F250 PSD/AutoTranny
DIY Exaust Brake w/TC lockup
AutoMeter Tranny/EGT Gage
Translife Tranny Cooler
Superchips Towsafe
16K Draw-tite Slider
2000 Montana 2850RK
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:43 AM   #4
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Tom,

Are you talking about your ceiling fan or the Fantastic Fan?

Thanks for the reply.

Ozz,

Thanks for the info I will check out your thread.

Colleen
Old 08-16-2006, 08:57 PM   #5
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Driftwoodgal - our '06 Montana is at this moment at the dealer for fixing several item, including the fact our converter breaker trips almost every time we plug into shore power. By flipping off the main breakers we can usually get the converter breaker to reset, but not always. Sometimes it takes awhile before it will reset. We did notice the breaker itself was very loose in the panel and could be wiggled side to side and even front to back. All of the other breakers were firmly in place. Hopefully I will get an explanation as to what was going on after they "fix" it. (: Mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 04:21 AM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Mike,

I am interested in what you find out. They have our 06 Montana at the dealership right now. They have replaced the convertor and I am not sure about that breaker. The tech has had the TV, AC and refrigerator on non stop since Tuesday evening and so far it hasn't flipped the breaker again. Our teperature are staying around 103 each day so the AC is being worked pretty much all day.

The information that I can give to you is that they have replaced our convertor. Are you only having the Convertor breaker flip or are you having other ones trip at the same time?

Colleen
Old 08-23-2006, 09:18 PM   #7
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Colleen - sorry about the delayed response but I didn't check back here for a few days. We picked our rig up earlier today (8-23-06) & got the usual reponse: "We couldn't duplicate the problem." After telling them verbally how constant a problem it had been they replaced the breaker with a new one "just in case." We haven't had time to test it out yet and will be out of town for several days visiting with our sons and families. Late next week we will be going to Pismo Beach for awhile and will have time to test it out then. Will let you know if that took care of it or not. And yes, it was just the breaker that powers the converter that was flipping off. No problems with any of the other breakers or with the appliances nor even with the converter once we got the breaker to reset each time. I just get so frustrated with people who are supposed to check things out but don't do anything but flip a switch once or twice and write it off. That's just too easy. I feel like I've been dismissed with a wave of the hand & a "don't bother me with your little problem". Sorry, but grrrr.
mike

Mike & Ronni Sorrell
Bakersfield, Calif.
'06 3295RK
'03 GMC Duramx/Allison,4 door, long bed, supersprings,starboard running boards LineX
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Mike,

I thought I would post what we found wrong with ours. It actually wasn't the Montana's fault it was ours. We took a battery from our trade in and added it to the Monty. The water level in cells on the old battery were very low so this caused our problem.

We have camped since but did not have any appliances kick off nor did we have the breaker flip.

I hope your problem is fixed now.

Colleen
Old 09-21-2006, 05:14 PM   #9
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
Coleen,

Sorry I didn't respond. Missed the question.

When I leave the trailer I sometimes leave the AC fan on so when the alr conditioner compressor starts the breakers don't have to handle the high starting current of both of them. So Cocoa the dog stays cool.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote