Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #21
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

Ken

""also noticed our black tank flush has quit working.
Most likely due to the anti-siphon device sticking,
So far, I can’t find the darned thing to fix it.""
When you say the black tank flush is not working, what do you mean???
Normally when I put the water hose on the black tank flush, it would spray water into the black tank to clean things out. You can clearly hear the water spraying. The last time I tried, there was no water getting to the black tank. Under full pressure, I couldn't hear a thing.
I've read past reports of MOC members having this problem so I wasn't surprised when it happened.
I removed the access panel in the pantry to the right of the fridge and you were right, the valve was there. Unfortunately it’s down just over a foot below the access hole. I tried to pull it back up but something is not allowing it to move more than a couple of inches. I don’t want to force it too much or I could end up with a leak. I'll have to remove the large panel on the back wall of the basement for further investigation.

Ken

kwbosch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 04:35 PM   #22
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
Ken,
I don't think the anti valve has anything to do with it.
If you have a compressor, I would try and pressurize the black tank flush line,
You should be able to flow air through the line, then water would go.
Don't worry about building up pressure in the tank as it is vented to the roof.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #23
paulrem
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #299
After having repaired the slide wire support on our 3400 I had someone ask if I had access to a hay bailer and the narrow belts they use on them. It just so happens that I do, but they are in West Virginia. So when Iam in W.Va. this spring I will try to fix, or aleast get enough of the belts to fix as needed for all slides. By the way they are just about the same size as is the wire support. I hope that this makes sense to you all.
paulrem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2006, 01:48 PM   #24
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Thanks for the info Ken. I was getting my rig ready to take in for warranty work and discovered the same problem on ours. Nice fix. It appears that even with a longer support the hinge is a great idea. I pulled mine up with a tie strap and I'm going to let the dealer take a look. I now know how to fix it if they can't.

Thanks again.
Montana_4221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 08:24 PM   #25
ronnilu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3933
Guess the broken plastic support is fairly common. When we received our new '05 2950RK in Aug of '04 we found the same thing cracked and almost broken through. We just took delivery on a new '06 3295RK and that was one of the first places I checked when doing the walkthrough. No sign of failure yet but will keep an eye on it. The first post starting this thread mentioned a short in the brake wire on the driver side rear wheel. Perhaps a conincidence but it might be worthwhile for folks to check the brake wires. Our closer inspection after getting this brand new rig home revealed bare wire showing through scuffed insulation on the brake wire where it comes out of the axle at the same location. The unit is at the dealer now getting that problem and a few others fixed.
ronnilu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2006, 06:26 AM   #26
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by serenity

Thanks for the info Ken. I was getting my rig ready to take in for warranty work and discovered the same problem on ours. Nice fix. It appears that even with a longer support the hinge is a great idea. I pulled mine up with a tie strap and I'm going to let the dealer take a look. I now know how to fix it if they can't.

Thanks again.
This is an update on the warranty work. I explained your fix to the service dept and they decided to use a hinge with the new support on our rig.

God Job Ken! I won't have to worry about that one any more.
Old 01-23-2006, 09:26 AM   #27
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:

Quote:

Thanks for the info Ken. I was getting my rig ready to take in for warranty work and discovered the same problem on ours. Nice fix.
This is an update on the warranty work. I explained your fix to the service dept and they decided to use a hinge with the new support on our rig.

God Job Ken! I won't have to worry about that one any more.
Cool, I'm glad I was able to help.
Hey Keystone, don't I get some kind of royalty or something?
Ken
Old 01-23-2006, 10:44 AM   #28
Montana_4221
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4221
So much for retirement Ken. You may have a future with Keystone.
Old 03-14-2006, 03:54 PM   #29
kwbosch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3237
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by carlson

Ken,
I don't think the anti valve has anything to do with it.
If you have a compressor, I would try and pressurize the black tank flush line,
You should be able to flow air through the line, then water would go.
Don't worry about building up pressure in the tank as it is vented to the roof.
Carlson,

You're right, I replace my anti-siphon valve (I know, it's been 2-1/2 months) and it’s still plugged up. The obstruction seems to be between the ant-siphon valve and the black tank. I’ll try the compressor tomorrow. Does anybody know what the connection looks like going into the black tank? I’m wondering if it could be a spray head like a lawn sprinkler or does it just squirt a stream of water in there.

Ken
Old 03-15-2006, 04:36 PM   #30
markwick
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2204
Have a 2005 2955RL - after 1 year only the plastic wire support broke where it is bending - The gate hinge fix looks good - I will try to do this spring.
A buddy of mine has the same slide outs in his Cardinal 5th wheel - We looked underneath the kithen slide and everything is hanging on the plastic support: 110ac, 12v dc, propane for fridge, water for sink and a flex drain for sink!!! - can't imagine the problems if the plastic support ever gives out.
There should be a much better way of supporting all this stuff especially when it is moving in and out all the time.
markwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2006, 10:29 AM   #31
RADHAZJOE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3149
Two of our wire hangars broke. New ones from Keystone were same length. I installed with a tie wrap hinge on the solid end. Drilled holes in a piece of the old hanger to match holes already in new habger. Fastened them with tie raps, somewhat loose so they hinge. Works like a charm. I too thinks a better design is in order.
RADHAZJOE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 05:37 PM   #32
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I have my unit in for both the wire carrier and the magnet wire. I will bring this info to my dealer so they can feedback to Keystone. They (Rollin On RV) were already using brass door hinges for the carrier fix. No rust. Plus a little Tornado damage to get fixed yet.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 08:29 AM   #33
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Old subject but it happened to us this morning! Imagine my panic when Ed said we probably can't go to the rally However wonderful guy that he is, he did a temporary fix and the slide is in. I called Dale who returned my call within the hour and reminded me about this thread and the door hinge. Looking at Ken's pictures, his break is exactly like ours and his living room slide that is cracked a little is exactly what our LR slide looks like with a small crack at the top. We will purchase some hinges and take with us in case it breaks. Monty is now out in front and ready to go. We have to move him out early in order to secure the parking place in front of our house. Neighbors park there so Ed moves Monty in while the guy is at work. Ha, Ha!
Happy trails.........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 04:41 PM   #34
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
I found another fix, similar to the door hinge. I took the rubber molding that goes around the baseboard with linoleum. I cut two identical length pieces and overlapped them (one on each side of the plastic wire support) and pop riveted the two pieces on each side of the plastic support. I then used the broken part that I unscrewed from the slide and used that as a template to drill two holes through the rubber molding and screwed it into the slide. I now have rubber instead of plastic as a flex point attached to the trailer. Our dealer had been using the door hinges but they liked my fix when they saw it. I was able to keep the holes through the plastic small so that they don't fail later.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:33 PM   #35
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Do you have a pic of that setup, Ron?
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 05:20 AM   #36
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Sounds like a good plan Ron. We are going to carry a couple of door hinges with us. They could be attached anywhere you are. I'm sure this is not just on the 3400s.
Happy trails........................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2006, 06:09 AM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Ah yes..We just took a look at that. Flexing that point enough times and it has got to break...Another design feature brought to you by the..office of diabolical engineering..we had some hinges in stock and they are in the onboard tool box along with the spare shear pins...Oh the joy of owning a RV...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote