Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Electric Blanket receptacle

I Have a 2007 3400 has any one added a electrical box on either side of the bed base to plug in electric blanket,if so where did you get power from and how did you run the romex. I do not want to run extension cords to the existing plug-ins.

ljensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 01:48 AM   #2
wingerphil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6570
I beleive Oz did it. He even had some photos. "OZ you out there?"

As I recall he ran a new circuit (on it's own breaker) from the breaker box into the basement by "fishing" the wire down through the wall between the w/d closet and bathroom (remove the vent cover on the inside bedroom steps for access below) and then up through the floor under the bed. Mount the boxes on the sides of the bed and leave enough slack in the wiring for the slide outs and your good to go. Would be a good time to mount a plug in box in the basement on the same circuit as well.

I have been wanting to do the same thing but have not gotten off my rear end to "get r done" yet.
wingerphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:29 AM   #3
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I did like Ozz and ran a new circuit down the wall into the basement. I mounted a 4 outlet box for the basement area then ran the wire into the front storage compartment. From there I went up through the floor following the other lines into the area under the bed. I then mounted a outlet on both sides of the bed. You could just tap off the outlet in the washer/dryer closet. When going through the floor into the area under the bed make sure you put split loom over the wire to protect it from wear.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 02:44 AM   #4
TOak
Established Member

M.O.C. #9171
I put an outlet on eather side of the bed just for that reason. In the basement where the TV outlet is I installed a 4" box, put two recepticals there and from that box ran romex up through the hole where the hydraulics are for the bed slidout. Put a junction box on the floor next to the pistion, flex conduit to another junction box on the slide out floor leaving room for the slide to move in and out, then two leads to each side of the bed to the recepticals. Works good and is on the ground falt circit with the bathroom outlet. Now that it's available, I've never pluged the blanket in as of yet.

Terry O
08 3400
04 Kodiak
8 months till full timming
TOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
greener
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7882
Did you check in your closet? We have an electric outlet in ours that we can plug into.
greener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:12 AM   #6
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by ljensen

I Have a 2007 3400 has any one added a electrical box on either side of the bed base to plug in electric blanket,if so where did you get power from and how did you run the romex. I do not want to run extension cords to the existing plug-ins.
Thanks everyone for the good directions on installing a electrical outlet under bed. Well written and to the point.
Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 AM   #7
trlrboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7697
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by greener

Did you check in your closet? We have an electric outlet in ours that we can plug into.
It's kind of goofy place to have it but that's the way ours is too. Seems to work fine and the wire from the mattress warmer is not in the way at all.
trlrboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
radioattic
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9967
I was almost ready to take on this frightening task (fishing wires through the RV) until I realized that a bedside receptacle was one of the few "Montana-type" amenities already provided in my 2006 Mountaineer.

Whew. That's a relief!
radioattic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2010, 08:57 AM   #9
TOak
Established Member

M.O.C. #9171
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by greener

I also have a receptical in the closet, but when D/W slams the closet sliding door closed, it kind of wants to cut the wire in half. By adding the outlets to the bed frame, it's one less thing "I" have to worry about.
TOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 01:49 PM   #10
stimpy123
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8267
Send a message via Yahoo to stimpy123
I also have the outlet in the closet, but don't know why it is there, as is mentioned, if the cord to the heating pad is used, then it is run between the sliding door and frame. Why didn't they just put the outlet into the bed box in the first place?
stimpy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:58 PM   #11
ljensen
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8384
Ya, I do not want to run a extension cord across closet floor and out the door, that is hooky. I would rather do like most of you and spend the time and put in a new breaker there is plenty of room on the buz bar. I will put in two twenty amp breakers while I am at it. I use the closet plug for the DVD player and the ditigal converter box.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:55 AM   #12
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
actually I first ran a wire, tied into the TV outlet, over to the wall by the bed, then later I ran a circuit to the basement, then up to the bed. Now I have two.. Good luck with it.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15 AM   #13
klash
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #9399
Bedside power outlet. We have a 2955RL Montana, 2007. In the spring and fall in Canada
it does get cool. We have a mattress pad heater, and of course wanted to plug it in. Previously we had a Mickey Mouse rig of a simple extension cord on my side of the bed. Of course the DW cussed it, tripped over it, and said it looked tacky. Finally got my engineering hat on, read this forum and then made a trip to Home Depot. Then $35 later began the job.I worked backwards, and did the outlet in the base of the bed first on the DW's side (towards
the closet). I removed the bottom liner of the storage under the bed first. Used one of those blue plastic outlet boxes. They have two little tabs that flip out on the inside when you
tighten the screws, and it holds the box in place quite adequately, even though it is
mounted on just the 1/8" panel on the base of the bed. I wasted about 4 feet of 14/3 wire and coiled it in a generous loop right above the hole where the two hydraulic hoses go down to the hydraulic pump. Before buttoning up the space under the bed, we did a test of bringing the bedroom slide in several times to ensure that the cable wasn't being tugged on by the movement of the bedroom slide. The electrical cable was then clipped on the bulkhead in the forward storage compartment. I then drilled a hole through the
bulkhead just under the steel support girder in the forward compartment. Then on the opposite side of the bulkhead in the basement storage area I mounted a duplex outlet
box, another shallow blue plastic one from Home Depot. I clipped the electric cable right next to the vanity sink drain and furnace ducting, and used clips with short screws to secure it up under the floor of the bedroom area. I had purchased a right angle offset
male plug at Home Depot, and this was then plugged into the outlet already down there
which I understand is meant to be for plugging in an outside TV. I used the duplex outlet
in the basement for our small bar fridge which is permanently carried down there, and also my small air compressor. I figured the total power consumption was that low that
I didn't anything greater than the existing 15 amp breaker which serves this outlet. No more unsafe extension cord, and the DW is now happy. Of course this has now lead into
my next job which I will do when we head back home in April. As we all know the storage under the bed is about thick enough for a sandwich and two sheets. So I am going to get some really good quality 2" by 4"'s and make a frame with the wood up on edge. I will use
a rabbet joint on the two ends at the foot, then counter sink and screw long screws down
into the existing base. I will need to relocate the bottom mounting positions of the two
lifting arms. The modification should give an additional height of 3-3/4" and for my DW the chore of making the bed will also be a bit easier.
klash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
hamcamper
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #768
I tapped into the outlet by the sink, fished it down into the basement, ran it into the forward storage compartment and up through the same hole that the hydraulic hose goes. I put the receptical on the bed base and used plenty of slack in the cable to account for the bed slide. Now no cord to even be seen.
hamcamper is offline   Reply With Quote