Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 05-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #1
Rescue 1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6113
Question for those with Dexter EZ flex

While looking at the options for upgrading the suspension on our 2001 3670rl, I see that the Dexter EZ flex equalizer seems to be a relatively inexpensive upgrade to just a wet bolt kit and new shackles. My question is do you still need the shock absorbers if you install the EZ flex? Since we already have shocks, would it be a better option to just replace the replace the stock components with HD replacements with wet bolts and new shocks? I crawled under the unit today and checked the shackles and they appear to be in good shape for stockers, so I think I have alittle time before I have to tear into them. Thanks in advance...

I'm looking at this kit:http://www.dexteraxle.com/inc/sdetail/18100

Rescue 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
If you are going to the expense and trouble to replace the shackles I would definitely recommend the EZ Flex at the same time. We felt it was well worth the money. As far as the shocks go I feel you still need them.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 07:50 AM   #3
Pete Hanson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3543
I just replaced my shackles with the EZ-Flex solution but I have not pulled the Monty yet. I left the shocks on thinking that they can't do any harm. It seems to me that they should remain on but I will be interested in other replies to your post.
Pete
Pete Hanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 09:21 AM   #4
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
If you already have the shocks then leave them. Your trailer body will appreciate it.

The wet suspension only improves the longevity of your suspension shackles especially if you do a lot of sharp turns. The suspension undergoes tremendous stress on turns such that this causes a stock/dry suspension system to wear quickly. After three years my suspension was showing some wear. I have installed the wet system and will monitor for improvements.

I don't have shocks but wish I did. I would also like to improve the suspension further. As was explained to me a trailer goes through perpetual earthquake as it bounds down any (rough) road, dip, railroad track, animal carcass, okay, I'll stop. Shocks can't help but soften the ride. There are also many other improvements that can be added to the trailer to help the ride of the trailer and the attached TV. These do NOT improve the weight ratings, in fact they decrease the CCC because they add to the weight of the rig, but they do improve the ride and vastly lessen wear and tear.

So, keep the shocks, upgrade the suspension and keep shopping for improvements. You'll find others.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote