Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2009, 01:20 PM   #1
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
It is done

I posted our (Dianna's) desire to have a wall switch inside the toilet room to control the ceiling light. The existing switch was in a bank of three, one for the room lights, one for the lights over the lavatory, and one for the toilet. All three were on the 12 volt system. The switches are all one-wire-in, one-wire-out, on/off toggle connected with blade connectors.

I bought a single 12 volt switch for $10.92. Then I popped the bezel off the existing switch, removed the 4 screws and pulled the two wires off the switch I wanted to move. Through the opening, I drilled a hole through the wall into the toilet wall to spot where I wanted to mount the new switch. Then I outlined where the wall needed to be cut to fit the switch flush. I drilled a hole at each corner of the rectangle cutout and used my pocket knife to finish cutting out the 1/8" thick wallboard.

Then I pulled the two wires through the cutout and connected them to the new switch and mounted the switch on the wall with two screws. Then back to the bedroom wall to replace the 4 screws and pop on the bezel. It took me less time to move the switch than it did to write this description. Bottom line, Dianna is extremely happy, so when momma is happy.......

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 01:46 PM   #2
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Great job Stiles.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #3
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Stiles, I did the same just a few months ago. Its sure nicer at night to find the light sw inside the toilet room now.
Thanks for posting, and I'll second it is a quick and easy mod if you put the inside sw on the other side of the same wall and at about the same location as the outside sw.
Bob
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 06:00 AM   #4
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
Hi Stiles...After watching you help Charlie work on his suspension at the 2007 fall rally this must of been a piece of cake. Good job, now it's my turn to add a new switch.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote