Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #1
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Directv

So we finally decided to get Directv and I called to get it going (long story). Finally found a number and talked to someone who is familiar with full time RV living.

When he asked for my credit card number and my Social Security number over the telephone I closed the conversation right then.

Do they really need my SS number to set up and if so can I find a dealer that I can talk to face to face and get this done?

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dick

rldriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 07:23 AM   #2
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
NO in a word. We have been with DTV for around 12 years and they never asked for a SSN. CC is one thing but if they had asked for SSN I would have gotten a name and called back to the main # and screamed REAL loud. Good call on cutting the call short... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 AM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Don't Do It!!!! We just got DirectTV last fall and at no time was I asked for any Social Security number.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:23 AM   #4
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110
Wise decision you made on that one!
Old 08-28-2008, 11:41 AM   #5
Jolu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7919
Dick in the past I have had good experiences with them. One time when calling them I got someone that didn't know squat about satellite tv. So I asked for a supervisor, the person went away for a little while and came back to me with what I wanted. When calling these banks of phone people it never hurts to ask for a supervisor.
If you are getting the HD Receiver, my guess is they want the SSN to cover themselves for the leased equipment. They commit you for two years for a monthly fee and they provide you with the equipment. They still own the Receiver. I don't remember, but I don't think I had to give them a SSN about two years ago when I upgraded to HD. Give them a call back and you will get a new person.
Jolu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Last year when we got our HD/DVR we had to buy it outright(349.95) from Directv. They didn't ask for SSN then and the only reciever we "rent" is the bedroom one as they gave that to us when we originally got hooked up with them. They sure don't give the DVRs away... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 04:26 PM   #7
Army Guy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5508
We just went back to Directv and upgraded to the DVR - no time did they want a SSN. The lady I talked with said they are running a special (always something) but I got the DVR upgrade for 22.95 along with a 2 yr contract. I figure I'm going to be using it anyway so the contract time frame didn't bother me. Good luck.
Army Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:09 AM   #8
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Dick (rldriver): Most Radio Shack dealers are also Direct and Dish network dealers as well. They can fill out the paperwork, etc, and get you going. If they do need the SSN, it would be for a credit check and again, speaking with a Radio Shack dealer you can go in and fill out the paperwork and see what really needs to be done. (Standard disclaimer -- I am not am employee for Radio Shack -- in this case my experience was getting my own Dish Network service set up through our local RS dealer here...)
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 06:10 AM   #9
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Thanks all for your assistance.

I have another question.

I have a Tivo and am thinking about using that instead of the Directv DVR unit, about the same cost per year, $99.00 for Tivo and about $80.00 for a leased Directv DVR receiver.

Is there some one who has done this and can I connect directly from the dish to the RV with out any other "box"?

Do I go directly to the television and then to my RV system so I can transfer the program to the bedroom TV if needed? Or can I connect to the jack on the side of the rig?
Old 09-03-2008, 05:21 AM   #10
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
You will need a DirecTV receiver box to make your Tivo work. The DirecTV DVR has the recorder and the converter built into one unit. Tivo receives its programming schedule through the internet or phone line, not over the air, so you will have to set this up to poll the Tivo servers to update the programming schedule. The DirecTV DVR receives its programming from the satellite with no need to “phone home”.
If it were me, I would go with the DirecTV DVR.

As to your second question- No, you cannot go from the dish to the RV without the converter box.

Third question- I don’t know how yours is wired, I am sure others do on this forum; however this will also depend on the output of the DVR.
Start with the signal at the dish, then the signal is converted by the converter box or DVR. This conversion can be digital, composite out or analog RF. Some will do all three. For simplicity I would want analog RF. Once you have the analog RF you can apply that to your TV cable connection and tune to channel 3 or 4. Now the trick is to get this RF signal to the front bedroom. Again, I am not familiar with how the internal wring is set up with your 5er.

Hope this is of some help and not too confusing.

Definitions that may help-

Converter box- This converts the satellite signal to a signal that your TV can receive. It also receives the programming schedule so that you can see what’s on your TV from the satellite.

Tivo- Tivo is a recorder that takes the signal from your converter box and records programs for future watching. Tivo calls the Tivo servers and receives the programming so that you can see what is on TV. Tivo takes control of the converter box to enable it to record shows at designated times. If Tivo is unable to call it will not be able to have the ability to see what is on TV. It only stores about a weeks worth of programming. This is the fee that you pay to Tivo, it is the ability to get the programming.

DirecTV DVR- In simple terms it combines the two units above. The benefit is that it receives its programming from the satellite. Also, if you have an issue, you only have to deal with one unit and one provider.

Common outputs from the DVR or Satellite converter box-

Digital out- This will be labeled “HDMI”. This is for the newer sets and combines a digital picture with digital audio in one cable

Composite- This will be three cables with jacks called “RCA” Your will have two audio cables (red & white) and one video
Cable (yellow)

Analog Out- This will be a cable connection that will usually say “To TV” or “Output” This is the most common method that people are familiar with.
abonzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 05:56 AM   #11
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Abonzer,
Wow, how could one ask for more detailed information so a big thanks goes out to you from us.

Now all I have to do is try and figure out when the turkey will be here to connect me up. He was to call last night but guess what? No call. Because I am out of cell phone range I have to drive up the road to see if I can get him on the phone.

Thanks again for all your help.

Dick

Old 09-03-2008, 06:58 AM   #12
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
I've had Direct for over 15 years and have never had my phone hooked into my Directv.
The phone is not necessary unless you want paid TV.
I have 4 boxes,2 TiVo and 2 High Def. One of the Tivo's I just had reactived for my garage and this is the one I take with us when traveling. No phone connected.
I've never had any other converters except my Tivo's and my High Def's.
Think about it,my old Tivo is about 12 years old which I take when traveling and no phone is hooked up to it.
Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 07:08 AM   #13
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jjackflash

I've had Direct for over 15 years and have never had my phone hooked into my Directv.
The phone is not necessary unless you want paid TV.
I have 4 boxes,2 TiVo and 2 High Def. One of the Tivo's I just had reactived for my garage and this is the one I take with us when traveling. No phone connected.
I've never had any other converters except my Tivo's and my High Def's.
Think about it,my old Tivo is about 12 years old which I take when traveling and no phone is hooked up to it.
Jack
Jack, thanks for the reply but it has been my experience that after about 2 weeks with out a phone or Internet connection to Tivo they start to warn you that you need to hook up to one or the other so they can update the programing. After about 3 weeks it will not work any longer. How long a time have you gone without telephone connection?

Thanks again for your input.
Dick
Old 09-03-2008, 07:29 AM   #14
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
That was the old days Dick,for at least 12 years I haven't had my phone hooked into my Directv.
We moved about 3 years ago and had Directv reinstalled in our new place.
The installer asked for a phone to hook into just for the first install,I didn't have a phone hookup near by so he strung a line from one room to another to download info.than he unhooked the line and that was it.
A year later I dug out an old TiVo and called to reactive it for my garage. I gave him the number off the Tivo and they reactived it immediately. Thats the one I take out and put in the 5th wheel when traveling. I've never had a problem with no phone hooked up.
If you do get Directv make sure you get the equipment guaranty with it. It's an extra 5.00 a month.
A while back one I wanted to up grade my first original Tivo and they sent me one of their DVR's with out any cost because of the warranty I was paying for monthly. I told them my Tivo wasn't working properly.
Directv created their own DVR and severed their relationship with Tivo a few years ago.
It was probably cheaper making their own.
Dick,if you want to talk more about it,PM me and I'll give you my Tel.NO.
Jack
Old 09-03-2008, 09:13 AM   #15
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
I think there might be some confusion on these receivers, converters, recorders……

Correct that the converter box does not need to call in. The programming is sent in a separate packet set sent to the converter box from the satellite. This would also apply to a DVR or Tivo box with the satellite signal converter box built in.

What I was referring to is the Tivo recording units that do not include a receiver built in, series 1 & 2. These recorders will work with any service, cable, Dish, or DirecTV. A separate fee, paid to Tivo, allows you to receive programming to your Tivo box. These recorders are just that, a recorder. They do not include a tuner for signals. Programming these sets is not over the air. This can be done via a phone line, or in the case of series 2, a LAN connection. Via the LAN, you can also remotely program your Tivo from anywhere with an internet connection or even your mobile phone.

So it all depends on what type of Tivo box we are speaking of.

DirecTV continues to use Tivo’s technology through a license agreement. The two companies split for a while, but after the Dish lawsuit, that Tivo won, they partnered once again. DirecTV began broadcasting in late 1994. I love Tivo, why??? It's where I worked fro six years.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:41 AM   #16
rldriver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2801
I have the TiVo "Series 2 DT Digital Video Recorder". And am going with Directv and run it through the TiVo. Only because I own the TiVo.

Dick
Old 09-03-2008, 10:36 AM   #17
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by abonzer

I think there might be some confusion on these receivers, converters, recorders……

Correct that the converter box does not need to call in. The programming is sent in a separate packet set sent to the converter box from the satellite. This would also apply to a DVR or Tivo box with the satellite signal converter box built in.

What I was referring to is the Tivo recording units that do not include a receiver built in, series 1 & 2. These recorders will work with any service, cable, Dish, or DirecTV. A separate fee, paid to Tivo, allows you to receive programming to your Tivo box. These recorders are just that, a recorder. They do not include a tuner for signals. Programming these sets is not over the air. This can be done via a phone line, or in the case of series 2, a LAN connection. Via the LAN, you can also remotely program your Tivo from anywhere with an internet connection or even your mobile phone.

So it all depends on what type of Tivo box we are speaking of.

DirecTV continues to use Tivo’s technology through a license agreement. The two companies split for a while, but after the Dish lawsuit, that Tivo won, they partnered once again. DirecTV began broadcasting in late 1994. I love Tivo, why??? It's where I worked fro six years.
I am miss understanding something here!
The only time I had a separate box was about 15 years ago before I went to the TiVo DVR. From that time on I never had any other box but the Tivo or Directv's DVR and that's been at least 12 years.
I originally had the large class C dish 10 ft. in diameter.
Once again,No phone line,that's how I can use my Old Tivo in the trailer.
Series 1 and 2 must be ancient or at least 12 years.
All of the above is just my personal experience,it doesn't mean ever thing works that way.
Jack
Old 09-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #18
abonzer
Established Member

M.O.C. #7370
Hi Jack, no I don't think you are missing anything. Well, except your bugs are crawling around on my computer screen.

Tivo being a seperate company makes stand alone units to work with cable, OTA (over the air) and the two satellite companies. The advantage is not being tied to one source. Many of the stand alone units were sold with a lifetime subscription and will receive programming for as long as the unit lasts. The Tivo advantage is in their user interface, by far the easiest to use. You can load your music and photos from your computer via a home router, like a slide show on your living room TV. The recorders are available today as a part of DirecTV (no longer called Tivo), cable with a decoder card built in and standalone units in either HD or regular TV programming.
Old 09-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #19
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Thanks Alan for clarifying that. I learn something new everyday.
Jack
Old 09-07-2008, 03:33 AM   #20
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
I also just installed Direct TV and have no phone line in the RV or at the house. The installer said it was cheaper to get the PPV movies over the internet and NOT the phone. Also, I had to install another line so that I could watch and record different channels. I found that when I pulled the fireplace out there was a hole cut in the wall that gave me access to the outside wall of the slide. I got a weather proof TV hookup from CW and installed it on the outside of the slide. I do have some confusion over the cable hookups that I have! I have one hookup that is separate and two that are jumped together. When I hooked up the direct tv to the seperate one with the 2 jumped I got nothing? I then tried the top one of the jumped ones and still nothing? Then I moved to the bottom one and it worked! I then split the DVR output and hooked one to the top plug and I can get the same program I'm watching in the living room in the bedroom. I also can leave the booster on and receive broadcast when the DVR is off. I still am not sure of the single plug and would like some clarification on the 3 tv plugs? Thanks.
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote