Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2008, 11:55 AM   #1
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Ice Maker

Anyone installed one of the commercial type ice makers in their RV? We could sure use one, and I think I can pick one of those up (used) for just a little more than the counter type you have to pour water in.

BTW, I looked at a Dometic ice maker (Eskimo I believe) today at the marine store across the street. That baby will produce up to 600 pounds of crushed ice per day. It didn't have a price, and I sure wasn't about to ask. Folks, that's some serious ice.

Edit: I probably should not have said commercial. What I was actually referring to is a residential model that is self filling with water and makes 30 pounds or so of ice per day, and has that much capacity in ice storage.

SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
billhoover
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7895
I have an automatic ice maker in our Montana. When the ice gets low, the DW emptys the full trays, then refills them. Works great and never breaks...although she does complain once in a while.
billhoover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:22 PM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Will, you are a party animal! We all need to park next to a guy with a big ice supply...
I have installed the residential ice machines, but would think that they might be a degree of overkill,
but I guess if a guy fishes, entertains, and uses a great deal of ice,....and has the space, why not?
They take up a space about like a trash compactor.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Ozz

Will, you are a party animal! We all need to park next to a guy with a big ice supply...
I have installed the residential ice machines, but would think that they might be a degree of overkill,
but I guess if a guy fishes, entertains, and uses a great deal of ice,....and has the space, why not?
They take up a space about like a trash compactor.
I'm thinking of the space where the DW's recliner is. Of course, If I could find one that wasn't too tall, perhaps in that "air conditioned" basement.

We use lots of ice. I like my beverage very cold. Plus fish, crabs and such. I bought 40 pounds of ice yesterday. Here's some of what I had to ice down last night.

Just another day in paradise! And BTW, I had never cooked shrimp with the head on. I got these just across the street from one of the Vietnamese shrimpers. I told her I wanted an extra bag as I was gonna pop the heads off. She says, " no, no, shrimp no good with head off". So, I gave it a try. Must say it was the best I've ever eaten.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:17 PM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Will, you are killing us Northerners! Looks so good, enjoy for all of us.
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Slick,

There is somebody that installed the U-Line system in thier 3400 island, with the door facing the living room. I remember they were pricy $800 or so, but they are essentially a small freezer with a residential grade ice maker built in, typical of what most of the MH have between the chairs. The sad part is, I don't remember who it was (guess maybe I better start eating more fish).
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 02:12 PM   #7
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Will, that makes this ole Louisiana boy hungry.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bsmeaton

Slick,

There is somebody that installed the U-Line system in thier 3400 island, with the door facing the living room. I remember they were pricy $800 or so, but they are essentially a small freezer with a residential grade ice maker built in, typical of what most of the MH have between the chairs. The sad part is, I don't remember who it was (guess maybe I better start eating more fish).
Brad, you gave me a great idea. Only problem is I don't have my tools down here. I have installed an ice maker in a fridge that wasn't made for one. I took an ice maker and water solenoid off an old fridge. I could pick up one of those small freezers, get me a residential fridge ice maker, and make my own ice maker. I think one of those apartment freezers will fit in the basement. I'll have to take a closer look at this. Thanks.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Will - a guy probably could do that. You can get one of those residential ice maker inserts for about $150 new, or maybe out of a used fridge for less. I was actually thinking of putting one in the Dometic but they aren't deep enough, and it would be too hard to get water in the slide.

Do it up good and post pictures!
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Redrover98
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3433
I installed a Uline under counter in my 99 fiver and have since reinstalled in two subsequent Montys. It makes twenty lbs a day and the bin holds twelve lbs. The wife drinks cokes and I drink iced tea and also an adult beverage at times. I turn on my inverter and leave the Uline on while on the road. We have even used it as a back up freezer. I bought it in 2002 and got a deal from Camper's Choice for $575 and free shipping. They are now out of business. It has more than paid for itself in ice and the convenience is priceless.
Redrover98 is offline   Reply With Quote