Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2008, 03:39 PM   #1
janrlee

M.O.C. #8558
Tire pressure monitors

Help, I am convinced after reading on this site, Tire Pressure Monitors are a good investment. Which one? Do I need one that the sensors screw onto the valve stems or have internal rim mount sensors? Some of the ones I have read about say, may not work with rubber valve stems, suggest changing out to metal valve stems, If that is the case, why not go ahead with internal rim mounted sensors? Looks like this may be expensive and we want to get it right the first time. Please advise.
Thanks

janrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:03 PM   #2
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I bought the set that screws on the valve stem. Took them off this year. I found that they were not for me. The indicator was still green when I checked the pressure and found it to be low. Another thing I don't care for is that they have to depress the valve core to read pressure (makes sense) but if not tight, the air will leak out. I had one flat tire after I installed them the next day.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
There are the ones illapah described, but they are about the lowest on the monitor food chain. Pressure Pro makes a screw-on-the-stem sending unit that readout on a monitor inside the cab. I have found them very helpful to check the tires first trip of the day and during the trip.

The monitor gives me a digital readout of the tire pressure. I can check the pressure on all 10 tires (6 on the truck and 4 on the trailer) in a matter seconds while sitting in my cab, either sitting still or moving down the road. My whole system to monitor 10 tires was $690. I think the internally mounted are significantly more costly.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 01:57 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
You gets what you pays for.. We have had the pressure pro system for nearly two years and at first we did use them on the OEM rubber stems and they worked perfectly. To me the advantage of having a good system such as the pressure pro is that they can be easily removed. As has been said..before no system can protect against a "sudden and catastrophic tire failure" (blowout) however the majority of failures are caused by a gradual loss of pressure which leads to the catastrophic failure.. A good tire monitoring syetem can prevents that..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:29 AM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Ditto what Stiles and Richfaa says. Mine has saved my butt 4 times so far, twice on the trailer and twice on the TV. My vote is for the Pressure Pro system. Plus, IF you change trucks or trailers you can remove and take them witcha.
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:51 AM   #6
Steve and Brenda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6364
Doran 360 is what I use. LCD display shows all tire pressures and ignores RV tires when I'm not coupled to the rig.
Steve and Brenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:30 PM   #7
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
We just got our Pressure Pro system, but have not had a chance to use it yet. But next weekend will be the first chance to see how it works for us. So far love how it works. Very easy to use. I agree with what exav8tr, Stiles, and Richfaa says about the Pressure Pro System and that is why we got it.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 06:17 PM   #8
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
PressurePro all the way!
On a side note, I just read on the Esscapee's forum that Mike and Pat those wonderful reps. for PressurePro lost their son last week to cancer.
Our hearts go out to them,God Bless!
Jack

jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 02:56 AM   #9
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When setting the pressure on your tires and I will use the RV tires as the example..First do it when the sun is not shinning directly on one side or the other.Then I would suggest using the pressure pro monitoring system to set the pressure in each tire. We set them for 80 psi on the monitor. There can be a difference between the monitor and a regular tire pressure guage. Be sure to read the manual carefully..lots of good stuff in there.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:16 AM   #10
janrlee

M.O.C. #8558
Thanks, Just ordered the pressure pro and will install before our first long trip. Are they hard to set up and calibrate?
janrlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 04:27 AM   #11
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
You shouldn't leave home without the Pressure Pro monitoring system. It will save you a ton of money. I have use the Pressure Pro system for several years and I have just upgraded our Pressure Pro system. I use them on what ever trailer I pulling, the inclosed car trailer, the gooseneck trailer and the 5th wheel. Very easy to move them from trailer to trailer.

I buy from Mike and Pat Mcfall, they are full timing and are so very nice and HONEST. Give them a call or go to their web site. GBY....

Mike and Pat Mcfall: www.pressureprosystem.com

Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #12
PatMcFall
Established Member

M.O.C. #7943
Thank you all for the kind words and support. Sorry, we have not been monitoring the forums very closely the past few weeks. We have been in Lincoln, NE for the past month to help care for our son. We lost him last week to Leukemia.

We are on our way to our place in Custer, SD and will be there the rest of the summer. If anyone is in the area, please look us up.

If we can answer any questions about the PressurePro system, give us a call. Our phone number is: 850-294-0281. We will be glad to assist you.

Pat and Mike
PatMcFall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:13 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Pat and Mike,
Our deepest sympathies and prayers are with you both.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2008, 03:32 AM   #14
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
So sorry to hear of your loss! Cherish the memories and trust in Him to get you through this.........
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote