Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2008, 05:37 PM   #21
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Rich, Thanks for the info on the Motorcraft Cetane Booster& performance enhancer PM-17A Ford says to use.

I"m thinking, will i get shot driving a Chevy Dually into the local Ford Motor Dealer to get the enhancer. These ole boys get a little upset sometime. Hehehe Maybe i'll barrow the neighboors ford. (KIDDING)

Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #22
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TLightning

Quote:
quote:Originally posted by waldo238

Depends on whether you want to replace your'e injectors or not later on. Ultra low sulfur diesel has less lubricating properties than the previous diesel.
It is true that ULSD has less sulfur, a lubricating agent, but it has been replaced by a different lubricating agent that does not have all the 'bad' properties of the sulfur. The end result is that there should be not loss of lubrication with the new fuel. That's why GM (and the others I assume) say you don't need any extra additives.
This is my understanding, also. Only time will really tell. I know a lot of people with many diesel miles who never had an injector problem and never used an additive. I put 85k on this last Ford diesel. That's not a lot of miles but I never had an injector problem. And didn't use an additive. I think those who are more comfortable using additives should use them. Those who don't feel they're necessary, don't.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #23
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Over the course of time I have tried various additives for this and that and have seldom found much, if any of the intended benefit. Ford has to warranty my engine and they say NO additives are required, the 6.4 diesel is good to go from the git go. I run that diesel in sub zero temps with no additives of any kind and it seems to run exactly as it does in warmer temps. It performs exactly as Ford says it should with no additives. In all my years of owning automobiles I have never had one engine failure. My car in the driveway right now has 350,000 km on it and runs great. It's never had any additive nor one minute of engine work.

From my recollections, snake oil salesmen have profited since the beginning of time selling stuff of little or no value with no measurable benefit. I have a hunch they will do so until the end of time. To each his own but I will spend none of my hard earned cash on snake oil, which is what I think of additives in the automotive business. Of course, your mileage may vary.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 12:48 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
"Ford has to warranty my engine and they say NO additives are required, the 6.4 diesel is good to go from the git go. " That is not entirely accurate..The powerstroke manual , on page 32 says.. It SHOULD not be necessary to add any aftermarket Additives to your fuel IF a properly formulated diesel fuel that meets the ASTM D 975 Specs is used.On the same page it says what fuel conditioners are approved for use.

Do we know what the cetane rating is? do we know the jobber has properly forulated the fuel.. Are there enforable standards that the jobber is subject to. ??? I do not know the answer... When we see the octane rating posted at the gas pump..how do we know that is correct ??(research that ) do we EVER see the cetane rating posted for diesel fuel?? To many...don't knows..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 02:51 AM   #25
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
I use STANADYNE, with 36000 miles on the truck who know if it helps but it is recommended my local diesel mechanics. Stanadyne is approved for my and other diesel motors. The cost is .13 a gallon with with fuel here at $3.29, and parts a labor for repair way more than I want to pay I'll use this bit of insurance that my fuel is up to parr.
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 04:06 AM   #26
jjackflash
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7787
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Illini Trekker

I use STANADYNE, with 36000 miles on the truck who know if it helps but it is recommended my local diesel mechanics. Stanadyne is approved for my and other diesel motors. The cost is .13 a gallon with with fuel here at $3.29, and parts a labor for repair way more than I want to pay I'll use this bit of insurance that my fuel is up to parr.
Illini Trekker,I've the same motor and STANADYNE is what GMC recommends. Where do you get yours from,Iam looking for the best deal!
Thanks,Jack
jjackflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 10:50 AM   #27
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
'Snake Oil' - Perhaps; but proven that the anti-gel additives do lower the gel point on ULSD. Also, from the BP jobber here -- if he doesn't trust the addition of additives 100% on his own vehicle, using fuel that he gets at the bulk plant himself for his stations and contract business, what is there to tell me differently.

As so many others have already stated -- the addition of additives is like a comprehensive insurance policy -- not required by any law (liability is all that I know is required by state laws ) but if I have a windshield broken by rock thrown by a passing vehicles wheels, that policy sure comes in handy. With diesel currently selling for 3.499 locally, another 1.65 (4.7 Cents per gallon) per tank could be a reasonable cost for that insurance; again depending on your individual risk tolerance.

Bottom line - while I do use PowerService (white jug), I do not in any shape, form, or fashion, mean to tell you that you must use something as well. I'm just passing on the information I know of so that, as you gather all the facts, you can make the best informed decision you can. Best wishes on whichever route you go.

(As I'm rereading this before 'submitting' these, I do not mean to be terse. Please don't take the comments as such -- just been a long day today and am tired ....)
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #28
Illini Trekker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2733
jjackflash maybe I'm lucky because in my rural area there is a diesel specialty dealer that handles it, here is there site.

http://www.scheiddiesel.com/stanadyneULSD.htm
Illini Trekker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:05 AM   #29
Clyde n Deb
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3477
"STANADYNE is what GMC recommends. Where do you get yours from,Iam looking for the best deal!"

Jack: I stocked up when Camping World closed it out. Bought about a 2 year supply cheap. There are several vendors listed at dieselplace.com which is a great site for DuraMax owners. Also if you google Stanadyne I think you can locate dealers all across the U.S.
Clyde n Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 02:10 PM   #30
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Skypilot, I don't think yours or any of the other posts have been terse. This has been a good discussion of interesting points of view and information, from this point of view.
Old 01-13-2008, 01:30 PM   #31
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
I talked to the people at the rifinery that I spent a lifetime at and they said that they were adding a lubricity additive to make up for the sulfur that has been removed and that the cetane was about the same as before,so guess I will go with this and hope for the best.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2008, 04:21 AM   #32
texdeano
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4480
Send a message via Yahoo to texdeano
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by texdeano

I talked to the people at the refinery that I spent a lifetime at and they said that they were adding a lubricity additive to make up for the sulfur that has been removed and that the cetane was about the same as before,so guess I will go with this and hope for the best.
texdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 11:28 AM   #33
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
One thing bothers me when I read about concerns about whether the jobber is adding the additives. I thought they've been adding additives for many years, not just since ULSD came out. I had understood but don't know for fact that when they are taking a load to one brand's station they use the additive package for that brand. If they're delivering to another brand they add the additives for that brand. And now with ulsd they just add yet another additive in with the others.

And before too long about all we can buy is ULSD so it will no longer be the exception that they have to remember to do. It will be required to add the lubricity agent with every load. In fact, we're noticing the diesel stations that do not carry ULSD are becoming fewer and farther between. ULSD must now be the majority of the diesel deliveries.

Just thoughts. No facts.
Old 01-21-2008, 11:56 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
It is interesting to note that in our part of Ohio LSD was in the majority.No stations in our city of 22K had it and I had to travel over 6 miles to get ULSD. Since we left Ohio we have not seen a single LSD station. We have not come across any here in Florida.As for additives we have been using shell premimum diesel as recommended here in Florida and using no additive.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:19 PM   #35
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
It looks like I may need to recheck my loyalty to Stanadyne. This is the only additive recommended by GM...and recent cold spells of -15 below have shown me a little something. I keep a bottle or two in the back of my truck, and have been keeping a close eye on it to watch for signs of gelling. Up until about -10 it was good to go. I filled up this morning and guess what? It was slushy...that does not inspire cold weather use and I may need to look further for the cold.
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:15 PM   #36
n4rzh

M.O.C. #8069
I have a Ford F250 7.3 diesel. Ford service bulletin stated that no additives were necessary for the new fuel. I do add some cetane when towing.

Terry n4rzh

n4rzh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 02:40 PM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
My 08 350 Ford manual also says no additives are necessary then goes on to tell you which additives to use.????? If you are in weather like Ozzie I would say you would need a anti gel additive. By the way Ozzie I WAS using Power Services ULSD Anti Gel formula purchased at Wally mart
that says prevents fuel gelling in temps as low as -40 degrees F. I did not care to test that claim so we came to Florida for the winter
Old 01-22-2008, 03:42 AM   #38
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozzie-- I use Power Service here in Nebraska and it seems to do the trick here! I get it a TSC if you have any around you there! I put about 1/4 of a quart in per tankful and buy it in the gallon size because it's cheaper! I did buy the first quart so I had something to measure with. I just mark the quart with permanent marker and refill it when I need to!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:33 AM   #39
Ozzie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1358
Send a message via MSN to Ozzie
I've been doing some reading since seeing that Stanadyne starting to freeze in the back of my truck...it is recommended to add before fills with the fluid at aprox. 35 degrees. Why this makes a difference, I have no idea, but that's what is recommended.
On my way home from work today, just on a hunch, I put my foot in it. Sure enough, as soon as it really started working, it threw a code.
The code reads low fuel pressure...uh-oh.

I'm on my way to get some anti gel before this turns into a problem.

So Rondo...what's TSC??
Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #40
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozzie-- It stands for Tractor Supply Company and it is a company here and across the midwest and possibly more that handles all kinds of farming and ranching supplies and materials! You should havae them up there in the cold country where you're at. They can go by another name but the name illudes me at this time! IF I think of it I'll jump back on here or send you a PM.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote