Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 12-23-2007, 07:36 AM   #21
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by BigAl52

Man if the weight police get a hold of this thread and run it by one of our favorite hard working politicians it could spell trouble. I can see it now weigh and check stations for RVers. Al
Although I'd sure hate to see the politicians get involved (in anything!), based on what I see on the road hauling big RVs, maybe weigh stations, other than a pain for those of us within limits, might not be a bad idea.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #22
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
BigAl52,

So are you saying that someone obviously towing with a very questionable and seemingly unsafe setup should not be stopped from endangering himself and others on the road? Your post seems to be indicating as much. I would think that such a setup is an excellent advertisement to do exactly what you are suggesting; set up some weight and safety checkpoints. I'd much rather see the checkpoints vs some horrible accident. JMHO and we know how much that is worth!

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 09:26 AM   #23
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
The problem comes in that entire concept of having weigh stations is to protect highways for being torn up from too much weight running up and down them. Their concern is watching for those large vehicles/trailers that are weighing over 48,000+ lbs. No RV approaches that weight and therefore they are not a primary concern in regards to the main objective/mission statement. Funding is so bad now that many of these stations are not manned. They will sure not try to add to their workload at this point.

Now... what should happen (and I have seen this happen - but not enough), is that these guys get pulled over and get ticketed and unloaded. I believe most, but not all, law enforcement is very lax in this area. There is NO WAY some of these guys can get that far down a main expressway without being spooted by any patrols cars.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 10:29 AM   #24
Joe-n-Doe
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7870
Quote:
quoteave Said:
Now... what should happen (and I have seen this happen - but not enough), is that these guys get pulled over and get ticketed and unloaded. I believe most, but not all, law enforcement is very lax in this area. There is NO WAY some of these guys can get that far down a main expressway without being spooted by any patrols cars.
Good point! Friday I had to re-register my new truck. I had transferred my personalized plate from the old SportsTac and the new 3500 is considered a "commercial" vehicle. The tax man wanted to know the weight of my trailer and that affected the registration fee. Here in Florida we will be voting on an initiative to lower our property taxes. Means more money in my pocket, but government agencies still have to function. This could lead to enforcement operations either at the chicken coops (weigh stations), along the road, or even in rest stops by state and local officers to ensure RV'ers aren't cheating the state out of some money. A secondary benefit derived from these operations would be spotting rigs that are not road safe.
Joe-n-Doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2007, 12:18 PM   #25
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

The problem comes in that entire concept of having weigh stations is to protect highways for being torn up from too much weight running up and down them. Their concern is watching for those large vehicles/trailers that are weighing over 48,000+ lbs........
My personal experience from towing commercial private, is that they are doing both, safety and weight restrictions. The one time that I got thoroughly checked was when at a weight station. With a one ton Chevy and a TT lab trailer, they made me pull over. The officer checked the air pressure in every tire, checked the load rating on every tire, checked the axle weights and then bid me a safe day. I was within regulations, albeit to the max. There is also the taxes that companies have to pay depending on their weights. IMHO
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 05:14 AM   #26
BigAl52
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4977
HamRad
I do not approve of one endangering himself thru stupidity nor do I approve of more government in my life. However neither you or I thru our opinions are going to change what some people do. Also by involving more government it just penalizes the people who are doing it right. However to some nobody does it right and that was the reason for the comment. Have a wonderful holiday Al
BigAl52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:00 AM   #27
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
All of what is said above, noone said anything about the salesperson that sold this rig to the person. Sure would hate to be on that end if an accident occurred and a good attorney got ahold of it. It is amazing what greed will do. Anyway, Merry Christmas to all and a prosperous New Year. May "You All", instead of sugar plums dancing in your dreams, have a "New Montie". Have a Good Day.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:22 AM   #28
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
I've been meaning to come back and tell what we know about the "sale" of this rig.

From what we gathered, Fellow "A", who was pulling this Montana with the F 150, purchased his rig used. He purchased from Fellow "B".

Fellow B had a 2500 or 250 (cannot remember which). Wife of Fellow B had trouble climbing in and out of that Montana, and wanted a rig that was "lower".

SOOO, Fellow B, in an attempt to make his wife happy, purchased a TT, a Shasta, which, by the way, was indeed lower to the ground.

Fellow B sold his Montana to Fellow A.

OKKKK, so, you say, buyer beware, etc. However, Fellow A and Fellow B were traveling together to Brownsville.

I am not sure just what this says about Fellow B, or his regard to his "FRIEND, Fellow A".

It was quite obvious that Fellow A was greener than the early spring grass in the Irish Hills of Michigan (green so green it hurts your eyes!!) Wife of Fellow A came out of the Montana and said, honey, I don't think the frig is working. They were so close to level that you would not need to do a thing to level up, no boards required, not even a 1/2 inch. He says, rather quickly to Wife A, DON'T TOUCH a thing, we have to be level. Al pointed out that they were more than level enough and that should not be a concern for the frig. There were a couple of other things that Al say and related to me, which I have promptly allowed to leak out of my brain mass, but, they were all the same kind of thing, Fellow A and Mrs. Fellow A, were newbie green.

My take was that they would hurt someone with that unit and F150, due to braking capacity.

I hope they made it ok, and I hope that they figure out, real soon that they just ain't got enough truck.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2007, 09:54 AM   #29
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Maybe they will just "gently nudge" the back of that Shasta, hope the Shasta was traveling in front! that would teach them both a lesson.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote