Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2007, 03:12 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Regeneration,Oh Boy

We I think have experienced the "Mother of all regenerations" yesterday and today. 08 Ford, 6.4L..uses the new ULSD and goes through the regeneration process.. I relate without comments because you do not want to read the comments.

Driving to work yesterday morning. Through town at 35MPh I noted the red warning lights come on my Aeroforce guage. The only thing I have set is the pre turbo EGT at 1250. It was already through 1275, hit 1300, bounced around then settled at around 950. Stopped at a traffic signal and we were at High RPM @1300 and EGT at IDLE was 850. Stayed that way to work (4 miles) Remained that way on the way home and back to work this AM. I figured my truck was broke and was going to go to the dealer..but before I did I hit the interstate and headed toward my former work exit 12 miles. Ran it up to 75MPH and held it there..EGT 1150/1250 7.6 mpg 3/4 of the way to the get off exit the EGT's began to drop, When stopped at the get off all was normal. .. EGT at idle @ 353 (not 850)..On the way back EGT 530 at 63MPG and by the time I returned to my exit ramp ,12Miles we were at 16.8 MPG.....7.6 down....16.8 back. I am not a happy diesel driver..anyone else seeing this on the NEW motors...

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:31 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Man, I do not even think mine does that. I have never seen any variance in my engine.
Maybe mine is broke.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:43 AM   #3
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Would someone "splain" to me what regeneration is? I keep reading about and have checked my owners manual and can find nothing about it. Dave and Betsy
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:42 AM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
You are not driving the truck hard enough. All it was doing was burning the soot out. It injects fuel into the exhaust to burn off the soot and thats why fuel mileage went down. By driving it on the hi way you warmed it up enough to burn off the soot and thats why everything was then normal. Check with Ford and see what they say.Sorry for the double post. It timed out and I didn't know if it posted it the first time. Moderator you can remove one of these please.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:14 AM   #5
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
I've had regens but they are barely noticeable on mine. I do not have all your gauges rich but I barely notice what is going on.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:15 AM   #6
William H. Collier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #798
Rich, you have way to many gauges, not a thing wrong with the truck.
William H. Collier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:16 AM   #7
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
I thought grandkids were 'regeneration.'
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 05:51 AM   #8
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I know there is nothing wrong with the truck and you do need to be looking at the EGT temps to know that you are really in any kind of a regeneration. Without the guage the only indication would have been the high RPM's and if I were looking, . the drop in MPG.You are correct I am primarily using the truck as a "daily driver" mostly in city at low speeds..all the things you do not want to use any diesel for. My conclusions. If you are using these new diesels as a daily driver you are going to be very disappointed as they regenerate frequently and the MPG is horrendous during that time which could take up to 40 mins . Again correct in that taking it out on the interstate and forcing high EGT temps "cleaned it out.
I am wondering what would happen IF a regeneration such as this would take place while we are on a steep grade with the 3400 anchor behind us. There is no guarantee that it would not happen..And yes I have way to many readings available to me.

We are learning more and more about these new diesels and the more we learn the more we suspect that we should have stayed with the V-10. The trip to Flordia will be interesting and a learning experience for me.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:02 AM   #9
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
Rich, I don't have your diesel but was watching a episode of "TruckU" on Speed the other day and it was about gauges and the new diesels. They recommend only watching the "post boost" EGT for normal driving. They said that the Pre-boost temp is too irregular for normal reads and mainly used by racers and high performance users. I do tend to agree with you about that V-10 though. Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:22 AM   #10
dscott
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6661
Rich,I drive mine just like you do, to work every day,got my first oil change at the dealer,yesterday they checked it out,getting ready for my FL.trip also, they said DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT. Mine was all carboned up,or let my grandson drive it for a day. I don't think so.
dscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:28 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
I can see 3 EGT temps on my gauge.. I had the Pre turbo installed and Ford Monitors the DPF temps. I am told that one of them is basically the post turbo temp as it is @ 250 lower than the pre Turbo temp. There is a lot to learn about these new diesels and the manufacturers do not tell the complete story of"regeneration" I called a friend of mine in our local camping group who has the new duramax and he said he had the same experience and also thought the truck was broke. I think you made a good choice with the new V-10..however I also think they will not be around for long...The new standards will do them in. I do agree about where to read the turbo temps but Pre turbo is where it is the hottest and at 1300 the tips of the blades are starting to get soft and the damage is cumulative, like bending a coat hanger..Every time the blades get to hot they weaken just a bit..and enough times of over heating....bang...The EGT in the new Diesels are a must.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:12 AM   #12
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

- snip -
I am wondering what would happen IF a regeneration such as this would take place while we are on a steep grade with the 3400 anchor behind us. There is no guarantee that it would not happen..And yes I have way to many readings available to me.
- snip -
The trip to Florida will be interesting and a learning experience for me.
Rich,
I do not think you will find a "regeneration" when you are pulling the MONTY. The extra weight gets the engine temperature up there in a couple miles Once you are pulling hills the EGT is up there and I believe or hope regeneration is a natural process when pulling the hills. Natural meaning normal engine operation, not a fuel dump to build the additional heat.

Looking forward to a report on your Florida trip.
Cheers,
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:22 AM   #13
MacDR50
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7691
For the person who asked about regeneration definition:
http://www.motorcraftservice.com/pub...sb07-04-11.pdf

Richfaa: Hopefully Ford used a higher quality alloy for the turbo so heat stress is not an issue.

I had to add this link:
http://forums.trucktrend.com/70/6264...mes/index.html
MacDR50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:06 PM   #14
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Rich
Like I and others said DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT. Did you call that guy that I told you to?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 01:31 PM   #15
Bruce Lenhardt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5098
Send a message via ICQ to Bruce Lenhardt
My 6.4 has 6000 miles on it-probably 5000 of those miles are pulling the Monty. Did include a trip to Estes Park (Mountains but not a real had pull). I have had no regeneration problems that I noticed. I don't drive it hard-just drive it. If Ford doesn't think I need EGT gauges I don't think I need em. It is made to pull a trailer and we should not have to add guages to protect the engine. Just MHO.
Bruce Lenhardt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 02:26 PM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don't worry, Rich... when you get down here, you will be able to get in I-4. You will be forced to drive 75+ to keep from getting run over. And I'm talking about the semi's... the little low rider 4 wheelers will buzz by you so fast you won't see them anyway.

Rengen??? What regen???
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:02 PM   #17
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
I agree with your last statement Dave, I am beginning to like this Classic more and more as I keep reading.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:06 PM   #18
mail2us
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6920
Someone on this thread asked what "regen" was, and I believe if your vehicle is 2007 or later it applies but earlier it does not.

Is this correct?
mail2us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #19
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
For Chevy's it was half and half in 2007. Our 2007 Classic (old body style) doesn't regen. New body styles which have engine that demands ULSD regens. Ours takes both LSD and USLD.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:26 PM   #20
RMccord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3727
EXNAVYDIVER Our units don't regen. It is only the newer trucks that do that. It is one thing that is causing me to reconsider upgrading unit to 08 at this time. Going watch from the sidelines for a year or so. Anyway my 05 Duramax GMC hauls great and the recent mods make it even stronger. So unless I go to a 1 ton dually I am staying put.
RMccord is offline   Reply With Quote