Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-20-2007, 12:05 PM   #1
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
all in a days work!!

Heres my project for today, was able to rent a lift rack at a countrygarage, had a good helper (or was I the helper?) lol, anyways started at 9:30 this am gotter done at 2:30, 4" turbo back exhaust, and pryo, tranny, boost gauges !! sounds "great" and everything reads like its suppose to! a darn good day !

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #2
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
Tom.... your exhaust tip is dirty..... shame..shame..... :-D........looks good...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Tom,

I love those gauges! I've got to get that. Did you get the pillar mount from the Ford dealership or somewhere else?

Dennis
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:25 PM   #4
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
Tom, that looks really nice.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:30 PM   #5
sailer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6977
tom you must be borred at the park outside of maggie valley ,, go to bingo or something , fish maybe ,, just a joke as i know you are at creekwood farms rv
john
sailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 04:49 PM   #6
Frankenstien
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7274
Hello Ham Rad... you can get the Pillar mount from most "Gauge" suppliers. They will typically come in black, so you'll need to pick up an interior paint that matches your truck. On your truck, its about a 3hr job DIY... about 35 min for someone who has been doing it for a living. The 3 hrs is because you will take the time to read the instructions... and learn a few things the hard way....
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007, 05:00 PM   #7
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Frankenstien, You know I had to take a "nap" after all that work!! hehe, but I can promise you tomorrow it will be clean!: )
Dennis, I got the pillar pod from a shop in Ashville, but you can order them from any speed shop , you just have to paint it to match your interior. and thanks, this was the first set I had ever put on, but had some help. thanks Mudchief, I'm sure gonna enjoy these, and "guess" whats coming next!! hehe, already taked to Jody DP tunes in ashville, but hes gonna move to Ga next week so may not be able to install it till he moves.
Hey John, I have been fishing some they stocked the stream here on fridays, but I should have been playing bingo! Good to hear from you and hope you enjoying ashville. We already been to the "Moose Cafe" twice
Old 06-20-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
HamRad, if we could just get Frankenstien to come to where we at, hes one of the best at these things that make our trucks go faster, run better and tow whatever.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/diy/PSD3-...73gauge-p1.htm

take a look at this dennis, this is what I went by, and yep it took me just about 3 hrs but i believe I could do it next time in maybe 2 hrs.
Old 06-21-2007, 05:55 AM   #9
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Nice job Tom! Everytime I go into the shop to get my emmissions test I end up looking at those while I'm waiting. Just haven't made the jump yet.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 06:47 AM   #10
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Tom,

Your truck continues to get better and better! Very nice job on the install... You are one talented fella!!
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
awww Brad go ahead and break down and gettem! I bet Dora wont mind abit!! lol, just kidding
thanks Dave, thats all I gotta do is tinker with my truck and monty, and of course fish some, hike a little, and nap alot !
Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Tom, good looking gauges. That's the same gauges (and same face color) and the same color pillar pod I had on our F250.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 05:20 PM   #13
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
hey Steve, you mean you telling me that you "had" a "pretty" truck once ? lol, just kidding, that Dodge looks pretty darn tuff .
Old 06-23-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
As someone who is thinking of buying a diesel why do we need to add guages other than the ones OEM on the truck???What do the added guages do that the OEM ones don't???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 07:16 PM   #15
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Rich: Reason for the extra guages is to provide an idea of how certain areas of your truck are doing before damage is done; for example - EGT: by knowing pre-turbo temp you can shift gears, slow down (i.e. reduce the amount of fuel going into the cylinder) before damage is done (yes the engine will 'defuel' at a certain point but by then you are either too hot, or in the middle of traffic when you can least afford to lose power); Trans temp: similar issue -- allows you to modify your driving before the tranny fluid reaches 220/230; Ford guage goes from OK to Oh crap I just fried it, there is no in-between (at least as I remember my 04); and on it goes. If you just drive your truck as a daily driver, never load it up and work it, then the stock guages are sufficient; however, since we all pull trailers of fairly substantial weight, the stock guages are minimally satisfactory (in my opinion).

One other thing to remember; the way that a diesel develops more power (climbing a hill; pulling a load) is by adding more fuel. More fuel equates to more heat (aka power and heat); more heat without somewhere to go leads to piston melt down, turbo-failures, etc.... hence, once again, the guages. You get low RPM, high boost, high pressures, etc.... Different people look at different things, from my reading and own experience, EGT and boost are pretty much universally shown; others go for Tranny temp while some others go for fuel pressures (especially in the earlier Dodges where the fuel pumps were known to fail fairly frequently)

You can't beat a diesel for the power, but you have to treat them right as well.

Well, after all that rambling; I guess to ultimately answer you question -- the reason we want guages is so that we can see (electronically) more of what is happening to our engine and tranny. It may all be mute today anyway, as I and several others have written in several others threads, the big three are really frowning on any aftermarket mods. In the case of Fords and Dodges, if you have guages installed, their dealers must do a fine-tooth look-see for velcro, extra screw holes, etc., anything that would show the addition of aftermarket chips or controllers. If the guage can, in any shape form or fashion, be made to appear to have caused, or been a factor in, the failure of a item, they will not honor the repair as a warranty item (local Dodge dealer has an 07 with 8K miles sitting in their lot -- needs a turbo and STAR will not warranty it because they drilled the manifold and installed an EGT. Owner is fighting it because the failure is on the other side of the turbo but truck has now been down for almost a month.

Enough of my soap box rant -- I get carried away typing sometimes. My wife is reading this over my shoulder and says I should simply say -- because us old people had them in our vehicles before and we want them in our new ones today! Guess that is true as well.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 03:43 AM   #16
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
and just one more thing that skypilot left out....."they just plain look GOOD!! LOL, but skypilot said it all, thats why I added mine. besides I travel lot of mountain terrain, lotta 6, 8, all the way to 12% grades some 5 to 6 miles long. I just think its added insurance for my type of traveling. Go on Rich, get ya a set , I know you wantt'em lol, just kidding.
Old 06-24-2007, 10:21 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Due to prior experience we will do NOTHING that may void the warranty...period. If you have ever been involved in that kind of dogfight you will know what I mean.In order to find out if it will void the warranty we will find the answer from Ford or whatever...in writing but there is a lot of expertise here and that is what I am looking for.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 12:53 PM   #18
tom41
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6363
Rich, dont blame you for not wanting to void a warranty, mine isnt under warranty, so I can improve on mine. If mine was under warranty I would find out also what I could or couldnt do. Any type of "mods" I post on here on my truck, I would say that it wouldnt be within warrenty on a new truck. I'm sure some new trucks may come with the type of gauges and items that a diesel "SHOULD" have if towing. But I will tell you this much on getting it in writing..dont get a service mgr. to do it , be sure it comes straight from the main corporate office in writing.