Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2015, 02:48 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Cloudcroft NM, we are headed there today

Any tips?
I have been told it is worth a trip up there, sounds neat.
I am making a sales call for our holsters to the gun shop there.
The Almogirdo area is very interesting, might have to stretch iur stay here a bit.
Thanks!

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:41 AM   #2
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
The area around Cloudcroft is beautiful. The town not so much. Basically a strip of tourist shops and a couple restaurants.

You don't say which route you are taking. US 82 from Alamagorda is OK, a little narrow with no shoulders, one tunnel that should be no problem, and a little steep and winding as you near Cloudcroft. We also drove NM 244 between Cloudcroft up to US 70 near Ruidosa. Similar highway to US 82 but not as steep and winding.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 03:49 AM   #3
halfwright
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12992
There used to be a bakery on the south side of the highway as you were going through Cloudcroft. Everything they made was good. There is a solar observatory (Sunspot???) south of town that was open to the public. I remember when Audey Murphy was spokesman for Timberon, trying to sell lots there.

In Ruidoso, There is a museum that was called "The Museum of the Horse", but the name has changed since I was there. It is on the east side of town on the north side of 70. There was a statue of a herd of horses out front. If you are interested in leather work, they have many tooled saddles that were used by big name people.

I have mentioned in a different post about some other things in the area. The space museum in Alamogordo is barely worth the price--mostly pictures. The state park in Dog Canyon south of Alamogordo is a decent place to stay. Some nice hikes up the canyon. If you have your geezers pass, you can stay at Three Rivers for cheap. It is a BLM site.

AS I mentioned earlier, if you go to Ft. Stanton, let me know if the TB replica tent is still there. I helped build it four years ago. That was the first place I volunteered when we went full time. The new roofs on the silos there were donated by the man who invented the bendable frames for eye glasses. He has a house in Ruidoso.

I was born and raised in Las Cruces when Von Braughn was shooting V-2's at White Sands. I left there at 18 when I joined the Army and lived there for 2 years after I got out in 1969.

halfwright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 11:44 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
We took 82, nice drive awesome views, we bought some goodies from a shop named Bear Tracks, ate at Dave' s sandwich shop, I returned the half cooked (just warm) potato soup, the waitress asked if I wanted fries.. Guess that was the only option. I got fries, greasy and.. Half-cooked. Sue's sandwich was good she said. I just paid the bill and had a trail bar back in the truck. Dave's needs a cook if anyone is looking for a job..
We went to White Sands Park, really neat and interesting.
Old 12-02-2015, 05:24 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Ozz did you rent a snow disk or take a piece of cardboard and slide down the dunes? Did you make sand angels in the dunes?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 12:40 AM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

Ozz did you rent a snow disk or take a piece of cardboard and slide down the dunes? Did you make sand angels in the dunes?
Ha! Thought about it until I remembered my son talking about picking sand out of... places for a week after he got back from.. somewhere in the middle-east Desert. Sides, might have broke a hip