Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #1
billben1
Established Member

M.O.C. #8989
Installing 2nd A/C on 2009 3400

I am thinking of adding a 2nd A/C in the bedroom. I have the prewiring but have 2 questions.

1) should I purchase a ducted or non ducted unit?

2) I see the wires for the 120 Volt power but do not see any wiring in the box for the thermostat. How do I tie the 2nd unit to the dual zone stat in the living room? There is a temperature sensor by the closet.

Thanks for any assistance

Bill

billben1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:38 PM   #2
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We don't have the 2nd AC so I can't really give a good answer. I can only suggest that if it was me, I'd install one without the ducting. You'll get more cooling than you really want. All summer here in the desert in So. Calif, we ran our one AC with the "Quick Cool" vents open so that most of the cool air came down in the kitchen an living room, yet there was plenty in the bedroom coming through the vents.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #3
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
My second unit is not ducted. The thermostat is on the unit The unit dumps into the BR only. This has been satisfactory to us. It is not used unless needed.
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 03:48 PM   #4
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I have an '06 3400 and mine is like Stiles'. We only use it when it is really hot and usually just at night
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
We had an '08 3400RL with two AC by the factory. The BR AC was not ducted and was not hooked to the front thermostat, even though the front thermostat was capable of dual zones. It had the typical knob thermostat on the unit and was sufficient for our needs. We used our in the BR at night, not only for the cool but the noise - it drowned out the traffic noise. Lulled me to sleep like a baby.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:13 AM   #6
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
We added our 2nd AC after we bought our 2006 3400RL. The first thing that I turn on after we are hooked to shore power is the refrigerator and then the bedroom AC. This AC will cool off the Monty faster than the ducted unit IMHO. You can also shut off the vent, that points to the front cap, and cool the living area even faster. With our 100 degree weather in Texas the second AC is a must. It also shows a heat mode, that does not work.

As posted by Waynem, we run our fan year round to drown out the noise by our neighbors. What diesel trucks, and screaming kids?????

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Over the years we have had two bedroom A/C's installed. Doesn't take long at all. The install was done by Camping World. If your pre-wired it want be a problem. The thermostat will be on the unit. I forget now but what ever the cost it was well worth it. As for the Ducted system the after market system will be the down draft system and it works fine, just makes a little more noise. This is the first 5er we have owned with the entire A/C system ducted, and it has a zone 1 and zone 2 switch, and both have a themostat and can be set at different levels. And makes much less noise, we are very satisfied with this system.

The heat mode is there if you install the heat strip. Which I did install the Heat strip, its just plug and play very simple to install. I was about to have CW install the heat strip but the service department person said its very simple and he advised me to DIY. However I think its a waste of money in my opinion. Its very inefficent and doesn't do a very good job. Buy a electric heater for less money and heats much better. GBY....
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:28 AM   #8
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by stiles watson

My second unit is not ducted. The thermostat is on the unit The unit dumps into the BR only. This has been satisfactory to us. It is not used unless needed.
Same here.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote