Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2008, 03:31 PM   #1
Jim-n-Kathy
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7917
Exhaust Brake or Not??

Hi Folks,
I'm Jim from the Jim n Kathy Team. We are new to the 5th wheel world and have a new Montana [well we own it but its' still in the windy city [thank you Craigs list] and we are way out here in Sac, CA. Anyway we have been taking advantage of all the great advice ya'll have provided as we prep our new Duramax for work detail. And so here is yet another attempt to learn. We're getting mixed reviews on the need for an exhaust brake. Should we or should we not? And if the polls say yes, is there a prefered brand?
Thanks for your experience.
Jim n Kathy-Folsom, CA
2955 06 Monty-07 Duramax [shiny red]

Jim-n-Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:36 PM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
With your Duramax and Allison, you have no need for the engine brake in my opinion, there was another thread on this not to long ago detailing the grade braking feature of the Allison Transmission. Before I get flamed, this is my opinion only and is represented with no warranties, either expressed or implied. The previous thread:
http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=26625
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #3
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Same as bncinwv. (and if he lives in WV, he should know!)
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 04:30 PM   #4
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I had an exhaust brake in my 6-speed manual transmission Dodge 2500. I loved it and would get another IF I had a manual transmission.

In the current crop of automatic transmissions as I have now WITH TOW/HAUL MODE, I am quite satisfied that it works well enough to not even consider an exhaust brake.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 07:28 PM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
As Bingo stated in the previous thread he posted here in this thread--Check your owners manual. I think it is page 148. It will tell you why you do not need to put on the exhaust brake. I had questions on this also and checked the manual and also checked with my dealership and the head diesel mechanic there and he told me the exhaust brake was not needed--infact he said if it was put on it may even void the warrant. This mechanic here at the dealership is called by the Diesel shops here in Omaha when they get stumped with a problem and he talks them through any problem they have. That was good enough for me even though Banks or who ever it is that make the units say they will back the warranty! No exhaust brakes for me!!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 11:59 PM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
I had a Chevy Kodiak 4500 which had a exhaust brake which was from the factory. It also had a Allison Transmission and it didn't have the tow haul mode as we have on the 3500's. It had a switch were you could lock it out of overdrive only. It does help with the heavy 5th wheels but I had rather have and use the tow haul mode. The tow haul is much smoother. Now on Class 8 Truck I had rather have the 3 stage J-Brake, this is just my opinion. Just buy or use what you want, if you don't have a good tow haul mode then go for the exhaust brake but if your driving GM stay with the tow haul you don't need a exhaust brake. GBY......
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 04:36 AM   #7
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You'll continue to get mixed reviews on this subject. Those that have them swear by them and those that don't have them swear too! I don't think there is any preferred brand. A lot of people I know have the Pac Brake. I happen to have the Banks Brake. For my truck, an exhaust brake is a must. But I don't believe you need one on the Duramax.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 05:21 AM   #8
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
Being a fairly new 5th wheeler, I thought with the Allison/Duramax combo I would have no need for an exhaust brake. That was until our last trip of the season to the PA Grand Canyon. I topped the mountain at 60mph. Speed limit is 65. Started picking up speed as we headed down grade. Trans was in tow mode. Trans started down shifting. RPM was around 4000 and climbing when I got on the brakes. It was 2 miles down until we leveled out. I don’t scare easily but that was a hairy ride. We are headed to Alaska next summer. So I installed a BD exhaust brake. I figure I’d rather have it than not. I haven’t had the chance to use with the 5th wheel yet but it sure is a noticeable difference in every day driving when I have it turned on.
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
firetrucker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2165
I don't get to contribute much in this forum because of the truck I drive, but this time I have 2 cents worth of recommendation. I always try to have backup systems, especially for safety systems like brakes. I have a compression brake (Jake brake), and it takes a lot of stress off both the truck and trailer brakes. It also starts braking as soon as I take my foot off the accelerator, a decided benefit, since air brakes are slow to respond compared to hydraulic brakes.

True, there are a lot of factors involved: cost, warranty, roads you drive, safety, etc., but as Tom said, unless you don't scare easily, it's better to have it than not.

Bob
firetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:42 AM   #10
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Jim you could get by alright without the exhaust brake, the Allison works great. That being said I have the Banks with the 4" exhaust and love it. Been on some good grades and when the tow haul mode doesn't slow it down enough I just flick th switch and the Banks brings it right down.
Would I do it again.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:20 AM   #11
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Jim-n-Kathy

Hi Folks,
I'm Jim from the Jim n Kathy Team. We are new to the 5th wheel world and have a new Montana [well we own it but its' still in the windy city [thank you Craigs list] and we are way out here in Sac, CA. Anyway we have been taking advantage of all the great advice ya'll have provided as we prep our new Duramax for work detail. And so here is yet another attempt to learn. We're getting mixed reviews on the need for an exhaust brake. Should we or should we not? And if the polls say yes, is there a prefered brand?
Thanks for your experience.
Jim n Kathy-Folsom, CA
2955 06 Monty-07 Duramax [shiny red]
No need for anything to go with the D/A. Read the supplemental Allison brochure that came with your truck...it spells it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 04:38 AM   #12
illapah
Montana Master

M.O.C. #666
I don't understand the automatic transmission functions but will an exhaust brake work with tow/haul off? I think I read somewhere that the converter had to be 'locked up' to work.
illapah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 02:34 AM   #13
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
I have the BD exhaust brake. It starts working when it is turned on (by a switch on the dash) and the accelerator is at idle. Mine will shut off when the speed of the truck is under 15 mph. As stated in previous posts, the Allison works well by itself in tow mode. But the E brake dramatically increases the braking effect when used in tandem with the Allison. And yes the E brake will work without the trans being in tow mode at least on my rig it does. It all has to do with engine rpm’s. The higher the rpm the better the brake works.
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #14
Fire1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #8237
Send a message via AIM to Fire1
My 07 Dodge came with a exhaust brake installed. I love it (besides it sounds great) I have pulled my big motorcycle trailor in the mountains full of things other than motocycles (furniture etc) and the brake worked like a charm.
I have the 6 speed Asin automatic with a tow haul mode and working with the brake on it will slow the truck to almost a stop without using the brake. Heck it even works with the cruise control on (boy does that confuse the computer)
I also had one on my motorhome and thats where I learned to love them.
My uncle has a GMC 8.1 and he has no proble at all in the mountain just using the Allison as it was designed.
Now if Dodge would put an Allison behind the Cummins WOW would that be a killer set up.
Fire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 AM   #15
av2pilot
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6348
Send a message via AIM to av2pilot
OK, I've got a 99 Dodge auto and wonder how a "jake brake" would help me out and is there anything I have to do special to install one?
av2pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:47 AM   #16
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
I have an 06 Dodge Cummings 5.9. When I bought it, the jake brake was a dealer installed option. We had it done at the time of delivery because it was then included in the 3 year factory warranty. We use the brake along with the tow/haul mode. My feeling is that the tow/haul holds shift points longer but with the diesel, it doesn't provide much compression (unlike its gas cousin) to provide braking. Thus we opted for the jake brake.

We have pulled I-5 over the grapevine outside of LA which has some long steep runs. The jake brake kept my speed under control.
I just got a Prodigy brake controller yesterday and hope to have it installed for our trip this weekend. From what I have read on this forum, it is widely used and highly recommended.

One other note, Fire1 is right....it sounds really cool!!
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:39 AM   #17
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My Dodge also came with the factory exhaust brake. Illapah, it works regardless of the tow/haul setting. I frequently use it on the highway when solo.

As for the need, on my Fords with tow/haul I never felt a need for an exhaust brake, even going through the Rockies in Colorado. The Dodge has both the exhaust brake AND tow/haul and that combination is superb. On any grade less than 6% I frequently have to give it some throttle as the combination will slow the vehicle more than I want. At 6% and 7% it holds speed right there. On greater than 7% grades I may have to give it a second or two of brake application every quarter to half mile.

With the Ford and just tow/haul, I'd say subtract 1% or 2% from the above numbers.

Your GM automatic should be pretty close to the same, I would think. So, bottom line for me, is tow/haul is plenty enough but add an exhaust brake and it's even better.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:54 AM   #18
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by av2pilot

OK, I've got a 99 Dodge auto and wonder how a "jake brake" would help me out and is there anything I have to do special to install one?
The Jacobs "exhaust brake" will help slow you down in the decelerating mode. It does not stop you fast but uses the motor to help slow you down saving the mechanical brakes. If you have a standard transmission all you have to do is (for the Jacobs brake) install the vacuum pump (requires a larger serpentine belt) the solenoid switch and then replace the elbow in the exhaust behind the turbo with the brake elbow. Finally wire up with the computer and the activation switch.

If you have an automatic transmission then you ALSO need a circuit board to lock up the torque converter.

I suggest doing some research on the Dodge web pages.

I like the new Dodge with both functions.

Yes I have the Jacobs Exhaust brake on my manual 03 Dodge.

Good luck.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote