Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-30-2007, 12:44 PM   #61
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We saw it and drove it today. It is Dark Toreador Red Metallic. Helen says Ford can call it whatever they want but it is Really Burgundy. She says it blends in with the 3400, it is quiet and does not stink so we can keep it. It is a really nice looking truck....We actually have two trucks. We signed all the papers for the 08, have the keys and the title has been transfered. But it is in the dealers showroom. We also have the 05, the keys and the title and it is in the driveway hooked up to the 3400 ready for a trip tomorrow. The dealership wanted to get the sale in this months quota so needed the sale to be complete by the 31st..We are gone the 31st. We said .. don't care what you do but the are driving the 05 till @ Sept 6 0r 7. Hence we have two trucks. Hitch gets removed from the 05 Sept 4th so we may pick up the 08 the 5th. They said we could take it home but what would we do with 2 F-350's and a 3400 in the driveway. There is also the little matter that I owe them 13,960.15 ..The check IS in the mail..should arrive about the 5,6 or 7th of September... We read some crazy stuff over on a truck forum 20MPG was one of them. Riiiigghht. I know the diesel will do better than the V-10 in most all areas...but..we liked our V-10 and it served us well.. Thanks to all for the help and advise..it really helped.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 01:02 PM   #62
jsrang
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1726
Rich & Helen, Congrats! Although we forgive you for selecting a Ford over the Chevy, can't wait to see it at the Fall Rally in Goshen. And you did consider the Chevy for a split second, so I guess that counts for something. Even though it is one of them Fords, it is still fun to ooh and ahh over a new vehicle. Be seeing you guys in a couple weeks and enjoy that new PV.

Jim
jsrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:03 PM   #63
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
Congrats Rich. In your spare weekends you can use that new truck at truck pulls pulling the sled and win extra bucks. Our 2000 has the 3.73 rear end and I am quite happy with it and if we buy a new one someday I want the 3.73. Waiting to see how the new motor holds up as we have the bulletproof 7.3 and the dealer sure dose want that truck. Been ask several times when are you going to trade that truck? Are you going to let Helen drive it?
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:18 PM   #64
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Helen has already drove it.She drives and pulls all the time. Found out today that it has the "camper package." The "4X4 off road package" and the "snow plow package" Oh and that blasted "reverse vehicle aid sensor" Put it in reverse today and we thought we broke something. The book says we can turn it off....says there is a sat radio in there somewhere but could not. find it.When you get a truck with a bunch of stuff on it that you did not order and did not research..it is a surprise package..
Old 08-30-2007, 03:37 PM   #65
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
Rich & Helen, CONGRATULATIONS on your new truck. How cool. Those Fords sure are pretty and roomy inside. Enjoy and be safe!

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:11 PM   #66
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by richfaa

... that blasted "reverse vehicle aid sensor"...
Rich: If you have not had this doodad before, give it time. I believe you will find it is a great accessory (other than when you are attached to the Montana). Hitting the button, to turn it off when attached, becomes second nature. But there is a huge blind spot behind that dually where all kinds of things hide. They can't hide from the sensors. Once you learn (and trust) the beeps, you can get really close to things without hearing "crunch".

Carl (& Susan) Youngren

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #67
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Yeah, that backing monitor has already saved my bacon from running into a short post that I couldn't see. And the power rear window that I thought I would never use, it comes in handy when hooking up. Just pop it open for a clearer view of the pin and hitch. Oh yeah, that stupid window in the roof that they call a sun roof, it is nifty for venting hot air when you park.

Now who would want to use those power fold mirrors unless you need to get close to a security gate key pad or check a rural mail box. The pull out tailgate step, how absurd, except I have used it every day since I got the thing. Then there is the dirty shoes floor that you can fold out in the back, useful for grand kids and easier to clean than carpet.

I am having to suffer through culture shock.

stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 03:26 AM   #68
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Stiles.....Helen is little miss gadget..she likes all the goodies so she is a happy camper with all the extra stuff on the new truck. We can excange notes on how all this stuff works at the rally
Old 09-02-2007, 12:55 PM   #69
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
I see in one of your posts that you are writing them a check. Did you know that there is an additional $500.00 cash back when not financing through Ford Credit. It is under the A/Z/D plan, program number #90196. You can still get it if you tell them.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 02:31 PM   #70
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Rich, just push the button on the dash to turn off the reverse monitor. I had to do that when in reverse with Montana in tow. Next time you put it in reverse it will be ON again. I never thought I'd want that option but now I sure do miss it.

It's great when backing into a parking place. Or when parallel parking. Or when getting out of a parallel parking spot. Or when backing out of an angled parking spot with other parked vehicles across the way. And many other times. If you don't want it, let's take it off yours and put it on mine!
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 06:58 AM   #71
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
gj4040 I did not finance through Ford credit. I wrote a check.. Amazing how the dealership does not know about all the rebates and the consumer has to tell them about them?? The new truck is now in the driveway. I have yet to drive it..Helen will not let me.While I was doing the final paperwork Helen had the door codes changed, Her favorite radio stations programed in and the Diesel idling waiting for me to come out. She gives the truck a big thumbs up..Rides nice...is not noisy and does not smell bad... Steve.S No deal..it is not as bad as I thought. Thought it would sound like my buss that can be heard 100 feet away. Hitch goes in Friday.

Surprise, Surprise....opened the hood, or should I say the hood and grill and found that we have 2 batteries..This is fun..
Old 09-05-2007, 08:36 AM   #72
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
You might find two alternators in there too rich. That's what I've got. You will love the sat radio. Channel 62 for me.
Jim Jarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:01 PM   #73
kwolff7
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6687
Rich, Sounds like you get another 500 back if you did not finance, but paid cash. Surely you did not trade your 2005 for a 2008 diesel for the 13 or 14K. If you did, you really know how to deal. John needs to get a new truck and I want him to get what you got. He is leaning that way, but his son is a Dodge dealer and he talks about getting a Dodge. He thinks he will get better gas mileage with the Dodge. Good luck with yours. Karen
kwolff7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:26 PM   #74
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Karen..I think you WOULD get better mpg with a Dodge..The Cummings are known for that.. The Dodge just did not meet our needs. Lets see. Rounded off..The new truck sticker, Ohio tax, title, plates , and all that other stuff added up to @57,500.. X plan, other rebates and trade for the 05V-10 and I had to give the dealer @21K. I am finding out that this was a truck that was special ordered then not purchased and sat on a dealers lot for awhile.

Jim..2 alternators you say.....I can't find one
Old 09-06-2007, 01:09 AM   #75
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
rich, if your looking into the engine compartment the alternators are on the left, one on top of the other. Or you could have the heavy duty option.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:49 AM   #76
Leaseit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5356
Rich, Congradulations on the new wheels..

A heads up on this one, IF you have the Dual Alternators, order a serpentine belt NOW and carry it with you. On both Ford and Chevy with duals alternators, the belt is longer than the standard configurations. and both dealers or parts houses don't carry them as standard stock items.
Leaseit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 02:40 AM   #77
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
The window sticker says 'Extra heavy duty alternator" so does that mean we have the standard belt???
Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 AM   #78
Jim Jarvis
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6781
Another question comes to mind. What are the advantages of the second alternator?
Rich, I don't know but someone will answer your question about the belt. Sounds like I should get a spare.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:11 PM   #79
gj4040
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7002
The extra heavy duty alt. is the optional 200 amp one; the same one I ordered on our new f-350 coming in next week. The only other optional alternator is the duel system and that was a $300.00 upgrade which I chose not to do.
gj4040 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:47 PM   #80
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I was told that the dual alternator was normally only installed when the intended use was for an ambulance or some type of emergency rule with potential high electrical use.

MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote