Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-12-2007, 06:37 AM   #1
Dustytuu
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2975
captain RV

Here is a funny interesting article and one man's fight against the city banning campers in driveways or back yards.

"Captain RV" has a reason to fight

RV owner and Antioch, Calif., resident Chris Valenta strongly dislikes the ordinance passed by his city council to prohibit RVers from parking their rigs in their own driveways.

"America's founding fathers fought for freedom, not for what was 'pretty' in their yards," Valenta said.

Unwilling to accept the new law and wanting to voice his opposition, Valenta initially participated in a 10-person sub-committee comprised of citizens and city council members who were evenly divided in their views of the ban. After they failed to agree on how the law could be revised to their mutual satisfaction, the mayor declared the issue will be put to a vote in next February's general election.

When Valenta heard the administrative expense of dealing with the extra vote would cost Antioch taxpayers an estimated $83,000, he felt moved to take a more dramatic course of action.

Thus was Captain RV born.

"I was inspired by Tree Man," Valenta said, referring to a protester who successfully dissuaded the city of Antioch from cutting down a century-old tree some years ago, "and I also thought of Dom De Luise's character, Captain Chaos, in the movie, Cannonball Run. Sometimes, in order to fight crazy [laws and waste], you need to be crazy."

Valenta wears a cape in the tradition of a crusading super-hero. He chose a captain's hat because he advocates for both RVers and boaters and because he served as a missile technician in the Navy during the 1980s.

"I'm an ex-submariner," the 44-year-old said. "I know no fear."

The fearless Captain RV hits the streets about three times a week, informing passersby of what he believes is the city's encroachment on the property rights and freedom of RVers.

He says few people disagree with him, although police officers are often suspicious, especially as he ranges farther around the San Francisco Bay Area into cities where his reputation hasn't preceded him. "But even the cops are friendly after we talk awhile," he said. "A lot of those guys are RVers themselves."

While there's an unavoidably cartoonish side to his Captain RV persona, Valenta is well-educated and holds degrees in electronics and technical management. He brings a thoughtful approach to his activity.

"Like any public speaker, you have to pick your audience and the information that pertains to them," he explained. "You want to get the word across, not jam it down their throats."

Among the people drawn to him out of sympathy or curiosity have been a few women admiring his hat and cape. "One woman wanted my costume and offered me more than kisses for it," the Captain delicately recalled.

Valenta thinks women respond well to him because of the humorous way he frames the issue he's passionate about. "I tell them, 'Only my wife can take away my RV. The city can't!' That makes them laugh and nod their heads."

Valenta's family is mostly supportive of his crusade, although his wife has been known to roll her eyes over his antics. His 17-year-old daughter doesn't always approve, either. "But my 12-year-old twin boys just LOVE Captain RV," he said proudly.

Politics and protest aside, the Valentas enjoy traveling in the Captain's 30-ft. class A motorhome. He also owns an older, class C rig made in 1984 that he bought for $500 and continues to fix up.

"My motorhome is the most beautiful thing in the world," he insists. "It's where I spend time with my family and make memories with them. Look, there are times when a man has to take a stand and protect his property. My RV and my driveway are my property."

If Captain RV has any regret, it might be that he didn't retire sooner from his other job as a semi-conductor engineer in Silicon Valley.

"It's neat being a super-hero," he said. "If I knew it was going to be this much fun, I would have done it years ago."

Dustytuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #2
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
My kinda guy!!
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote