Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 11-19-2006, 11:51 AM   #21
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
There is a reference to Crescent Firearms on page 560 of the blue book of gun values 25th Edition. Unable to identify your firearm with the information supplied.. Does it have a exposed hammer? or is it Hammerless? Single shot Model? How many triggers? Perhaps you can find the book in your local library. I would assume a later edition, or earlier edition of the blue book wpould also have the information.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:46 PM   #22
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Parrothead I am no expert either. Might start a new thread for information. And there is always the Google search. If I had pictures I could go by my gun dealer and see if he can ID them. Another way is to go to Ebay and search through and match it to what you have and see the description. Also a cheap way to appraise the value.
As far as Rifles go I have a very old .22 Savage pump octagon barrel, also I think is a pre 64 model 94 30-30 Winchester there are 8 rounds missing from the 2 boxes of shells origionally bought with the gun, and my favorite to shoot is a Savage 7MM Magnum.
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 01:57 PM   #23
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Forgot to respond to TXRUMM, that sounds like a purty shotgun. In my worktruck I keep a "Snake" gun never know what kind of snakes one might run into working at night. It is a 12 ga. pump Mossberg. The barrel is barely legale. I have a 20 Ga youth single shot New England firearms shotgun...outkicks all my 12 ga's. It is brutal. Only way a youth could shoot this is for me to light load some shells just for it.
Old 07-23-2007, 04:22 PM   #24
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Well I'm not an expect on weapons but I handled and loaded a Remington 870 Pump for many years on duty in Law Enforcement. Most Law Enforcement Officers call a shotgun, a hand gernade with a barrel. Remington 870's have 2 travel slides so when it's pumped it won't jam. Everybody knows the sound of a shotgun being "racked".
I've shot thousands of rounds out of Remington 870's and never had a jam or heard of a jam from a 870. It's not the best looking shotgun out there but it's the most dependable.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 04:23 PM   #25
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
That should read I'm not an expert on weapons....
Sorry
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:11 PM   #26
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Crescent Fire Arms Co. Manufactured 1888-1893 in Norwich, Ct. Sold to H&D Folsom in 1893 and became a division of Stevens Arms & Tool in 1926. The were valued in 1994, for standard models with double triggers, extractors, original finish and 100% working order, from a low of $65 for a 60% 12 ga to $400 for a 100% .410. Sidelock actions were also available and should command a premium. Guns with exposed hammers can equal the hammerless models if in 80% or better condition. There is a note that they became makers of "house" guns for various companies when they were owned by Folsom.

J. Stevens Arms Co founded in 1864 Chicopee Falls Ma., name changed in 1866 to J. Stevens Arms and Tool Co., changed again in 1916 to New England Westinghouse, bought by Savage Arms Corp. in 1920, and the guns were marked "J. Stevens Arms Co. this was dropped in 1940 and they were marked "Stevens" from them on until they stopped making them in 1990. The only one I find that is a pump is a No. 70 "Visible Loading" slide action, valued $90- $250 in 1994 [variations may get a bit more]. The #70 was made from 1912-1931. The Stevens had minimal collector interest at time of the books publication.
Note: All information is from the 15th ed. of the Blue Book of Gun Values.
A gun dealer can probably id them for sure.

Skip
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:08 AM   #27
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
What Skip said is right. Numberous companies made guns for Crescent Arms. I have an HJ Sterling that was made for them also. Took forever to find anything about them.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 06:07 PM   #28
ggranch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6588
It sounds like you have covered most of the bases in your search but are still chewing on the choke selection. If you stay with the 28" bbl. Improved Cylinder (IC) is an option for you but if you go to the 24" bbl. the IC would be too open. Stay with the Modified. The full choke is best for long range such as goose or duck hunting (then a 30"bbl. is preferred. Good hunting! Bob
ggranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 02:16 AM   #29
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
As you all have probably figured I bought the A391 Beretta. I went with the 26" barrell and the Kickoff system. I love it. It says to use 4 boxes of heavy shot to break it in. I used 3 1/2 2 oz shot. Any shotgunner knows that is a brutal round. After just a few shots many guns will leave you sore. I shot all 4 boxes in one afternoon and was not sore. Shot a case of light target loads the next day shooting skeet. The most I would have to buy for this gun for Goose hunting is a longer barrell. It will pop any 12 ga round I put in it and in any order or combination and it performs flawlessly.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #30
ashlandcpa
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6686
From what I know you made a good choice. Never heard anything bad about Beretta products. If you are in the market again take a look at Benelli also. Enjoy.
ashlandcpa is offline   Reply With Quote