Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2007, 10:37 PM   #1
Mr. retired

M.O.C. #3670
New Tires

I have a 2003 Montana 2955 I need to replace the original tires General Grabber AW LT 235/85/R16-E. I have it down to 3 tires

1. BF Goodrich Commercial T/A

2. Yokohama Geolanders HTS

3. Kelly GoodYear Pathfinder A/P

all tires except the Kelly are priced with in a few dollars the Kelly is $20 less per tire. Any feed back on these tires or a tire you would recommend would be appreciated.

Mike

Mr. retired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 12:21 AM   #2
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
All the tires you have mentioned above are good tires and all 3 will serve the purpose as a trailer tire. Personally of the 3 I would go with the Kelly for 20 bucks a tire less.
Unless you are planning on trailering that Monty over 40,000 miles in the next 5 years mileage is of no real concern. Most RVers, even full timers, will not wear their trailer tires out due to mileage. Most all RV tires need replacing due to age not tread wear.
Get a good quality tire in the proper size and ply rating and you should be good to go. Pay the extra to also have the trailer tires balanced. Also buy your tires from a reputable tire dealer and have him check the old trailers tires for any irregular wear pattern. A reputable dealer has the staff with the experience in the tire business and will know what to look for.
Now I am about to ruffle some members feathers. I stated a "reputable" tire dealer. After many years in the tire business I have found that most any of the Wal*Marts, Sams Club, Costco, BJ and the like DO NOT hire tire service people for their tire experience and therefore are not, in my mind, to be considered reputable. Experienced tire men want to be paid according to their experienced and not the same as the lot boy who is out collecting shoping carts.

BTW-If your tow vehicle happens to be a Chevy or GMC 2500HD with the LT245/75R16 load range E and those tires are 1/2 worn. You could buy 4 new tires for the TV and put the 1/2 worn TV tires on the Monty. The 245/75 carries the exact same load capacity as the 235/85. The 245/75 is just a tad wider and just a tad smaller in diameter.
If you can do the above than I would highly recommend the Michelin LTS M/S as the TV's replacement tire.
Of course if you have a dually or 17" or 18" TV tires forget the above.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:09 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Glenn and Lorraine

Also buy your tires from a reputable tire dealer and have him check the old trailers tires for any irregular wear pattern. A reputable dealer has the staff with the experience in the tire business and will know what to look for.
Now I am about to ruffle some members feathers. I stated a "reputable" tire dealer. After many years in the tire business I have found that most any of the Wal*Marts, Sams Club, Costco, BJ and the like DO NOT hire tire service people for their tire experience and therefore are not, in my mind, to be considered reputable. Experienced tire men want to be paid according to their experienced and not the same as the lot boy who is out collecting shoping carts.
Hear, hear. You have said it like it is. No ruffled feathers here. But even some reputable tire dealers hire young people who know nothing about tires. All they know is how to take the tire off the wheel and put another one on. Some of them pay no attention to torque on the lug nuts or psi. I consider tires one of the most important requirements for my RV and TV. Nothing worse than running tires that you continually have to be concerned about.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 02:11 AM   #4
haslcs
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6202
i agree with Glenn buy the kelly tires and from a reputable dealer.
haslcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 03:48 AM   #5
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
I agree with Glenn and Orv, they have "hit the nail on the head", but I would add one thing.

When you go to any tire dealer, if you are not completely comfortable with the salesperson or technician, ask to see the owner or manager, and make that person aware of your concerns. Most will do as I do, and personnaly oversee the job.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 04:27 AM   #6
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
I have the newest tires on both units put on the Monty and the best 2 of the rest put on the steer axle, leaving the 4 next best for the drive axle and 2 for spares- All tires have date of production imbedded in the sidewall- I have no predujice against Walmart, etc. because I keep an eye on the work in progress through my presence - I will interject my objections to errors or ommissions without fail because my 40 years in the tire business qualifies me to do so- I always buy service contracts and road hazard warranties on each tire I purchase- I know that Walmart TLE employees are paid more than greeters( lowest paid employees) and are trained according to Walmart standards- they use proper tools to torque lugnuts, etc.- Management has always accepted my experience with grace - just my 2 cents on this subject- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:33 AM   #7
Mr. retired

M.O.C. #3670
Thanks for the help now all I need is to make my choice. Glenn I do have a 2500 GMC Dura Max but replaced the tires last month. Had my yearly service done in January on the Montana and was told my tires were good to go for at least one more year. One week ago on my way home form fishing in Lee Vining California the street side front tire blew out as I was only doing about 58 mph I was able to pull over without any damage to the trailer or my truck. We will be going on a 1500 mile trip in July and I do not feel comfortable now after the blow out so new tires it will be. I had hoped not to replace my truck and trailer tires in the same year but I also hope not to go bald and start to shrink. Once again thanks for the help.

MIke
Mr. retired is offline   Reply With Quote