Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 05-06-2017, 04:22 PM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
How to turn a samsung residential frid "off"

This question was answered sometime back on some forum. But can not locate doing searches on different forums and google! Thought I wrote this down but guess not. The only way found to do this is to turn bedroom breaker off. Samsung model RF 18. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Yes, you can turn it off. Hold the freezer button and at the same time hold the power freeze button. It will chime and the refer is off. Use the same process to turn it back on.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 11:17 AM   #3
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by brenkco View Post
Yes, you can turn it off. Hold the freezer button and at the same time hold the power freeze button. It will chime and the refer is off. Use the same process to turn it back on.

Ken
This will put the unit in a display mode. It does shut off the cooling system however the lights stay on when the doors are opened. After I clear out my fridge I like to leave the doors open to dry everything out but I don't want the lights on so I turn off the bedroom breaker.
bad99ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 01:51 PM   #4
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I turned the "second" battery switch off underneath the front just behind the batteries and that didn't turn the lights off on the fridge or cut power to the level up system. What is the switch for? I turned some dc lights on inside and they worked with the switch off.
Will ask the dealer if I remember since have 15 issues for them to work on with the worse being the awnings and exterior lights have blown fuses twice. Now, with new fuses the exterior lights work but not going to try the awnings. Don't want to "manually" retract! What caught my eye was the cap lights and awning lights were dim. Turned on other exterior lights on the same fuses and blew both. The exterior lights have been working for several weeks with no dimming. Interior lights have not done this nor have they dimmed. RVing is fun!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-08-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
I believe the switch you are referring to is the 12V power source for the inverter. To check if it is unplug your unit from 120V. Turn on inverter then turn that switch off. If the inverter shuts off then that is your 12V power supply switch.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:10 AM   #6
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
There is also a separate battery disconnect by the battery box. This is factory installed and only disconnects the refer. This feature is only on residential refer models.
mootana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #7
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
I read the manual as stating that pressing both the freeze button and power freeze does stop the cooling but doesn't completely turn off the lights and power. I will try the battery connection mentioned. However, our notes from our PDI with the dealer say this battery connection is to reset the level up system. The confusing aspect about the level up is on one occasion level up would not level. I called Lippert and they stated you do not have to disconnect power to reset level. I didn't and was able to reset level after only turning off/on the controller on the side. We want to turn frig completely off since will not be using for several months and leave the doors open. We will be taking the camper in for the last warranty visit soon so will ask the dealer. Will try to remember what they say and report back. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-08-2017, 11:11 AM   #8
mootana
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15746
Quote:
Originally Posted by navybanker View Post
I read the manual as stating that pressing both the freeze button and power freeze does stop the cooling but doesn't completely turn off the lights and power. I will try the battery connection mentioned. However, our notes from our PDI with the dealer say this battery connection is to reset the level up system. The confusing aspect about the level up is on one occasion level up would not level. I called Lippert and they stated you do not have to disconnect power to reset level. I didn't and was able to reset level after only turning off/on the controller on the side. We want to turn frig completely off since will not be using for several months and leave the doors open. We will be taking the camper in for the last warranty visit soon so will ask the dealer. Will try to remember what they say and report back. Thanks,
Dear Navybanker
Have you tried the second battery disconnect I mentioned? That disconnect has nothing to do with leveling system
Old 05-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #9
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
Lets hope your dealer is even aware they have been putting residential fridges in for the last few years ...
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:08 PM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The inverter for the residential refrigerator supplies 120V to the appliance. It does this in two ways. It can take 12V from the batteries and produce 120V to power the refer. Or it accepts 120V shore power and passes straight through to the refer (no 12V draw from the batteries required).

If you turn off the battery switch in the front storage area it will cut the 12V power to the inverter. But if you are plugged into shore power, then 120V power will flow through the inverter and power the refer.

If you want to turn off the refer, then cutting off 12V and 120V power will do the trick. But as soon as you plug in to shore power or turn on the battery disconnect in the front storage are the refer will come alive again.

The best way to truly shut down the refer is to use the
freeze and power freeze button method. That way the refer is off regardless of the 12V or 120V status.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:14 PM   #11
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
Carl is spot on. Although the lights are on, they are on a timer and will go off in a few minutes even with the doors open.

Ken
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #12
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Okay, thanks for all the info. Never thought about the inverter! I do like the
frig and really the 3611 also. You are going to have some problems with these rigs.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 05-08-2017, 06:13 PM   #13
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
You guys are making this too hard. It's a residential refer...unplug it.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #14
bad99ram
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18650
Quote:
Originally Posted by TLightning View Post
You guys are making this too hard. It's a residential refer...unplug it.
Ironically you have picked the most difficult way. To unplug the unit you need to unbolt the retaining bar then roll the fridge forward out of its built in cabinet to access the plug at the back. Too funny LOL
Old 05-08-2017, 09:39 PM   #15
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad99ram View Post
Ironically you have picked the most difficult way. To unplug the unit you need to unbolt the retaining bar then roll the fridge forward out of its built in cabinet to access the plug at the back. Too funny LOL
Unplug it from the inverter.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:09 AM   #16
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I tried pressing the two buttons and nothing happens but I'll do it again and wait to see if the lights go out. I've been having difficulty keeping the batteries up during even short storage, like two weeks. I'm thinking the front mounted rotary cut-off switch and service bay flip switch do not completely isolate the batteries from any parasitic loads. I'm going to mount a knife switch at the batteries and see what happens.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 10:19 AM   #17
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
I tried pressing the two buttons and nothing happens but I'll do it again and wait to see if the lights go out. I've been having difficulty keeping the batteries up during even short storage, like two weeks. I'm thinking the front mounted rotary cut-off switch and service bay flip switch do not completely isolate the batteries from any parasitic loads. I'm going to mount a knife switch at the batteries and see what happens.
You are correct in thinking the " front mounted rotary cut-off switch and service bay flip switch" do not disconnect all the power. There are several parasitic loads (Propane detector, Level Up brain, etc.) which continue to deplete the batteries even though they are "disconnected"

The knife switch at the batteries is the answer for saving the batteries while in storage.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 06:26 PM   #18
Reddad

M.O.C. #20605
Turning off Residential Refrigerator

All,

The Samsung Refrigerators do not have an off switch and making sure it is totally off is desirable in between trips. I have resorted to turning off the breaker in the power panel to the refrigerator. The only down side is ac power to the bedroom area, but really is not an issue as we are not using the bedroom anyway.

Reddad
Reddad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #19
cw3jason
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17256
just unplug the inverter in the basement. the inverter gets 120v pass thru voltage from the outlet in the basement and passes it thru to the dedicated outlet behind the fridge. if you unplug the inverter from the basement outlet you kill the pedestal power going to the fridge.
cw3jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 03:56 AM   #20
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
All I can say about this thread is: Why does Keystone insist on making things so difficult? This, winterizing, putting water in the fresh tank with jugs (or even sanitizing it!), not being able to access anything with slides in, etc., etc. It's like none of the designers of these things ever tries using them.