Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2012, 03:24 AM   #1
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Replacing 2004 Remote Comfort Control

Dometic Customer Service was a big dissapointment.
They said I had to go to a Dealer to get parts/repair for my old Remote Comfort Control with wall mounted reciever that apparently died (neither the "system override" buttons for heat or AC would work and fuses/breakers were fine) and referenced a "12 Button Thermostaat" which is not on their website...

- Or is there another failure mode I should consider?

Per the lengthy 2005 "Remote Thermostat" problem Thread, can I safely assume the same part numbers from then (which are available online today from many dealers) would work to upgrade/replace/repair my HVAC: the 5 Button Comfort Control Part No. 3109228.001 and AC unit board 3109226.005?

Thanks!

RRman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Like I said before,you need to get the serial number from your a.c. unit and bring that to a dealer. That will tell them what wired unit you need
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Did you kill the power to the A/C and the furnace (120 and 12volt) for the unit and furnace? That will re-boot the thermostat and usually make it work.
I did away with my original 2007 thermostat wand went with the single-zone thermostat, you have to change the thermostat and the board up in the A/C unit, as a matched set is required.
If the re-boot does not work, go to a RV dealer-parts dept and buy the set.
I will find my slide show on it for you.

Here is the link to the change-out:

https://picasaweb.google.com/Jimsue13/ThermostatChangeout9142011?authuser=0&feat=directl ink
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 05:22 AM   #4
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
I did pull the 12V fuse to see if it was the problem and cycled the breaker...
My little 04 Remote reciever wall unit just has two buttons with 3 lights and looking at the board after pulling the cover, I don't recall seeing a big "Brain" chip...I think the brains are in the remote...It used to talk to the wall unit which would beep in response.

Ozz, I sure like your mod to the simpler Thermostat as the Comfort Control is way more than I need with "one" zone and no generator to start...
Old 03-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #5
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Charles I just happen to have a complete remote system that I wish you had LOL. I replaced mine in the summer of 06 with the ccc I got it from dometic though my dealer for 200$ after that alot of folks got one for free. as you know the 2 buttons are overrides heat set to 68 air set to 74 IIRC.
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #6
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Well, I pulled the shroud and I have a model 59516.531 just like Ozz.
Dometic finally understood and provided info on their new 12 Button Thermostat and the Single Zone LCD (which comes with a control board).
I'll contact my local RV Service Center for an estimate on converting / installing the Single Zone LCD Thermostat before I decide if I want to challenge myself...
If there's just a wiring diagram included without "installation instructions", I'm a little wary.
Thanks for the advice!
Old 03-28-2012, 04:02 AM   #7
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
If you take is slow, and don't hit the Wild Turkey until after the job is done, you should be OK, but it is a complicated job wiring it in, step by step, not bad, but involved.
Good luck, wish you were here in Tonopah, I would hep out...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Ozz, thanks for the encouragement!
Since we currently only use our Trailer about one month/year (albeit I lived in it 1.5 years volunteering in LA), it drives me nuts how RV Components fail or are more complicated than they need to be...
Since my trailer spends most of its time in storage and only has AC sufficient power when we're camping, I'm a inclined to let the service center fix and TEST operation so we can confidently camp later next month in Pensacola FL (likely too hot to stay w/o AC) versus the slim possibility I would screw it up. In this case the risk consequence is great enough I may be able to afford hopefully not more than 2 hours of shop time...
Old 03-28-2012, 05:31 AM   #9
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Get a quote from them. Often service personnel screw up, take 3 times as much time as they would if they actually knew what they were doing, and you as a customer, pay for the screw-up time.
It is a crap-shoot in a service facility, the General Manager hires a person that is expected to have a high skill level, to do wiring and complicated repairs, but also replace roofs and re-install wallpaper. They don't offer the pay to attract skilled service people. I have talked with some of these people. Some good some really stink, more of the latter, I fear.
In my business, I would screw something up, but I would not charge for that time. Often the customer would not know about that, but they would get a fair price for the work done.
Good luck on the 'fix'.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #10
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Well, its been almost two weeks since the shop was to order the Single Zone Thermostat and call me to bring the trailer in.
After my visit and agreement to have them do the work, they called me back later that day and said Dometic "sales" said the RJ6 wires wouldn't handle the current for 3 wire connection. I told them to press as Oz and others have done it. And later it occured to me you could always twist together any 2 of the six RJ6 wires to double current capacity! Dometic continues to confirm they must be a grade C or D company...
I Left two messages with the service dept today about Thermostat status and no call back. So if I don't hear from them tomorrow (I'll give them the benefit of doubt for a busy Monday), I guess I'll buy online and install myself...
In any case I guess I will go to the trailer and start removing the old control board/box.
Thanks for the encouragement!
Old 04-09-2012, 02:24 PM   #11
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
DON'T remove anything until youn get the new parts. It would complicate things when you put the new one in.

Now, where did I take that wire off from.......
Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM   #12
Clemson1881
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9432
Amen Ozz, about sorry techs wanting to charge you for their 10 hour job that should have taken 3 hours. Been there, done that. But, I will not do that again. At least not at the same place twice. I try to do most work myself. With the help from the internet you can usually get 'er done.
Clemson1881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Well, two weeks later, I finally spoke to the friendly service guy and he wasn't sure what the status was as he had gotten two different stories from Dometic (will work & won't work) and their Dometic Parts vendor moved and shipments have been flaky and maybe the Single Zone Thermostat was on backorder.
So we agreed I would order online (did so from American RV in CA ($96))and see them for assistance if needed...
Yikes!
Should have Thermostat and Control Board by Friday.
It's been a long time since I needed to go by Schematics for anything...
Old 04-13-2012, 11:02 AM   #14
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Thanks Ozz!
It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. With my Son's assistance, took 75 minutes.
My old circa-04 Control Board sure was a dinosaur compared to new (All steel box with Very large chips).
New Freeze preventer was just insert into fins and plug-in.
120 V Wiring fit okay.
Was only reading 6 Volts across the existing 12 V supply wires on my multimeter (I was only on battery power in storage lot with lights on and having extended the slides).., Hmmm...
Got wiring all hooked up per schematics. Only "confusion" was common 12V- from the Thermostat to 12V- Supply to 4 Wire 12V- Thermostat connector for/at Control Board (3 wires versus the usual 1 to 1 connection.
The Furnace wires were VERY small (single core versus stranded like most others I think) with no slack and I had to extend them using salvaged furnace wires with connectors from the old supply board, so I didn't have to use the little metal tab connectors provided on such small wires.

Existing metal shelf and screw secured the box and I think the opposite metal tab "shelf" may also line up with one of the "hole" indentations in the new plastic control board box.

Will it work??? I wouldn't want to blame Friday the 13th!

Will take to nearby RV Repair Shop on Monday where they will provide 50 Amp power and help me troubleshoot if needed next week.

Thanks again for advice and encouragement!

Have a great weekend!
Old 04-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #15
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Chas, glad things came together for you. I will be back in K.C. in about a week, want to run some service calls for me?
Old 04-16-2012, 08:26 AM   #16
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
Great news! Took it to the nearby RV Repair Center and plugged it in.
Technician stood by and "supervised" Thermostat activation and use which succeeded and cooled well and turned on Furnace too. Paid $40 for 30 minutes of shop time and some more 15AMP fuses...

Always great when God answers prayers and thanks to all the encouragement from Club members!

Did have to replace the 12V 15Amp AC Fuse as I stupidly neglected the first rule of electrical work, disconnect all power when I installed it on Friday. First I accidently touched those 12Vwires together when I disconnected them and then they ended up on the metal box for a while... Checked and replaced that fuse before I took it in.

However, now I've noticed the Slideout Hydaraulic pump tray is totally wet and fluid level in the reservoir is down a little so have to watch that later this week when DW puts the slides out...

What next?
Old 04-22-2012, 03:06 PM   #17
RRman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7196
AC worked great the one day we needed it in Pensacola FL, before it cooled off and rained most of the day Saturday.

Wiped down all the Slide hydraulics visible by the pump and noticed the hoses to the bedroom slide were wet. 2 Cycles of in and out revealed a drop of fluid on the bedroom hose...

Will search the forum for advice before taking out the bed...