Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 11-02-2010, 08:10 AM   #21
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I have read several postings where the right circuit breaker (CB) is referred to as the "landing gear circuit breaker". I believe this is incorrect. If you examine the picture

you will see the positive (+) lead from the battery --> slide CB --> to the right CB is attached to the same (common) post on the right CB as the orange wire leading to the landing gear motor. The CB has no effect on the orange circuit feed the landing gear. That is why there is a in-line fuse in the landing gear orange wire (black box in the upper right of the picture).

I suspect the right CB protects the 12V feed to the house fuse panel. I will verify that supposition once I find my Keystone Montana Wiring Diagrams manual.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:35 AM   #22
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TAKPAK

Hopefully I'm not going to step on any toes here, but I felt I had to clear up a misconception that I'm seeing.
Two 40 amp breakers do not give you 80 amps of protection, nor do two 50's give 100, etc. If you have 40 amp breakers, you still have 40 amps of protection, etc. What happens, is when you have two breakers, and you install them on one feed in parallel with each other, you are having them "share" the load. So, if you have two 40 amp breakers, but find that the draw is actually 50 amps, by putting two 40's in parallel, with that 50 amp draw each breaker is actually only having a 25 amp draw across it.
Hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm sorry if I did.
I am going to disagree with you ..... I think. May be just a matter of semantics.
Two 40 amp breakers in parallel, if perfectly matched impedence wise, could potentially allow a total of 80 amps of current to flow thru the circuit by sharing 40 amps each without tripping. Basic electric law says two circuits in parallel will share the total current based on the impedence of each.
You would only lose the circuit if one or the other went over 40 amps and tripped causing all the current to go thru the other and causing it to trip. As I view it, that is 80 amp protection (protecting the circuit from going over 80 amps total).
That is what concerns me about two 40's or two 50's in parallel. However, since Lippert says it is OK, I assume the wire sizes must be large enough to accept that extra current.
BB_TX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #23
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by TAKPAK
Two 40 amp breakers do not give you 80 amps of protection, nor do two 50's give 100, etc. If you have 40 amp breakers, you still have 40 amps of protection, etc. What happens, is when you have two breakers, and you install them on one feed in parallel with each other, you are having them "share" the load. So, if you have two 40 amp breakers, but find that the draw is actually 50 amps, by putting two 40's in parallel, with that 50 amp draw each breaker is actually only having a 25 amp draw across it.
Hope I didn't offend anyone. I'm sorry if I did.
Share the load? That's exactly why we put them parallel. Will not two 40 amp breakers allow 80 amps draw in a circuit? I'm not offended, but your post absolutely makes no sense to me. You say one thing, then come back and contradict that statement with another statement.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:12 AM   #24
Bill and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6958
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Carl n Susan

I have read several postings where the right circuit breaker (CB) is referred to as the "landing gear circuit breaker". I believe this is incorrect. If you examine the picture

you will see the positive (+) lead from the battery --> slide CB --> to the right CB is attached to the same (common) post on the right CB as the orange wire leading to the landing gear motor. The CB has no effect on the orange circuit feed the landing gear. That is why there is a in-line fuse in the landing gear orange wire (black box in the upper right of the picture).

I suspect the right CB protects the 12V feed to the house fuse panel. I will verify that supposition once I find my Keystone Montana Wiring Diagrams manual.
Getting back to the main topic of the post, I agree with the above.
1.Tracing the power path it leaves the battery,

2. goes to the first CB (on the left) where power is supplied to the hydraulic Slide motor down stream of the CB (protected power supply)

3. From the battery side of the first CB (via the jumper) power is then fed to the second CB.

4. From the Battery side of the second CB there is an orange tap off that goes to the landing gear motor. This line has it's own fuse since there is no other protective device the power "Passes Thru" before heading off to the landing gear motor.

5. After being protected by the second CB there are two outputs from the second CB. The large one goes back and feeds directly to the DC Distribution panel (comes in on the side I believe, the other end has the feed from the output of the Converter).

6. I don't know (or can't remember) what the tiny black wire goes to but it is something that needed a seperate feed. I will see if I can trace it next time I am at the unit. Some possibilities are:
a. Power to the CO detector
b. Control power to the heater
c. Control power to the landing gear toggle switch (Power to the motor is seperate and has the inline fuse)
d. Sensing line for the converter to determine Battery Voltage since DC Voltage at the DC Panel will be the output voltage of the converter it makes sense there may be the need to sense voltage at the battery it self to determine the proper "stage" for the converter to operate at.

Jaybird, one thing in your photo that has me confused, although it could just be decieving in the photo, do you have a ground line hanging free? (other black wire with a toothed star at the end)? That should be run to a ground connection point somewhere. (runs from upper right corner - landing gear motor? - and has a yellow crimp on it)

Anyway, hope that helps a little.
Bill
Bill and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #25
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
http://www.lci1.com/LIP/0110.pdf The fused power to the landing gear actually goes to the switch, then to the motor.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:34 AM   #26
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
We have a 2006 and I posted a picture in the other thread you posted about this topic. You can see it here: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...ad.php?t=41771
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 02:39 AM   #27
Debbie Asher
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6167
I had a dealer change out my 30 amp to a 50 amp because the slide kept stopping. Now when we start pulling the slide in it was making a beeping sound like when a truck is backing up, then it stops. Is this normal?
Debbie Asher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #28
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Debbie Asher

I had a dealer change out my 30 amp to a 50 amp because the slide kept stopping. Now when we start pulling the slide in it was making a beeping sound like when a truck is backing up, then it stops. Is this normal?
30 to 50? I believe the slide breaker is 50amp from the factory. Perhaps they added a breaker to replace the fuse on the front landing gear?