Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-31-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
jackel1959
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2471
DISC BRAKE UPGRADE

Well we bit the bullet and had disc brakes installed on the rig. We spend a lot of time on the road with the rig behind us (we have over 32,000 miles in 3 years) and have had a couple of close calls with people cutting us off and panic braking, so this has been on our list of things to do. Our last trip to California earlier this month driving in traffic through the Sacramento/Stockton area convinced us now was the time.

I contacted a truck shop I had been talking to about the conversion while we were in California so that we could get the install done upon our return. I gave all the information about the axles, stud size, etc. to the shop and they ordered in all the parts for us and had them waiting when I arrived to have the work done early Monday morning. I picked it up yesterday and all I can say is WOW!!!! After having this done I cannot believe how much better these are than the OEM drums.

The install is neat and clean. The actuator is smaller than I thought it would be, takes up minimal room in the battery compartment and is mounted in front of the reservoir for the slide out pump and auto reset breakers are added (they are the ones without the covers in the photo) The hydraulic brake line is routed from the battery compartment under the belly pan and along the inside of the frame back to the axles where it is "T"d off and connected to rigid brake lines which are mounted on the backside of the axles to protect them from road hazards. A real slick setup.

I only had a short 30 mile drive back to the house (in the rain) after picking up the rig, but what a difference in braking. The braking is so much more "positive" and secure and I have backed off the integrated brake controller from 9.0 to 7.0 and everything still feels really good. I can't wait to take her on a long trip with some extended freeway driving.

I had the work done locally by one of the truck shops that was recommended by the brake kit distributor and it took about 12 hours total. The rotor assemblies are manufactured by Kodiak and the electric over hydraulic actuator is manufactured by TITAN. I have attached some photos.

Jack

TITAN Electric/Hydraulic actuator and reservoir and auto reset breakers

Rotor

Hard brake line