Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2005, 06:25 AM   #1
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glacier NP in August

We are hoping to spend a month in or near Glacier National Park, probably this August. Any ideas for rv parks/cg would be appreciated. We'd need full hookups, staying that long. And within reasonable distance from a grocery store, pharmacy, and the like. Reasonable distance probably means within 25 or 30 miles or so.

Thanks.

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 07:51 AM   #2
wswebster
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1249
Check out Western's Woods Bay Resort. They have RV spots with full hook-up's. It's owned by good friends of ours. It's in Big Fork, MT., close to Glacier. Just an idea, my husband loves MT.
wswebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:11 AM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Hello Steve and Vicki,
As you may remember we spent a few days in the Glacier area this past Sept. We were on the west side of the park. Once you get to the Kalispell area there are tons of RV parks. We stayed at a park very near the west entrance to the park. I think the name of the town was Hungry Horse. The park name was Mountain Meadows if I remember correctly. A very pretty park. There were many big rigs parked there. But the park is on the side of a mountain so the interior roads are a bit up and down. When I first saw our campsite I thought there was no way I could get in and even if I did I didn't think there'd be any way to get it out..... but I was wrong as usual! The site was beautiful and relatively easy to get into. Also when ready to go we simply backed out a bit and pulled thru another site and had no problems whatsoever. We'd stay there again if we go to Glacier.

But we hear that the east side is a really nice place also. Our next trip to Glacier will be on the east side. We understand it is also a bit less crowded.

By the way they had the main street in Kalispell completely torn up when we came thru. I assume they have completed construction by now but don't know. There is a road to the south and east of there that will get you to the park. I'd take that and then come back to Kalispell to do any shopping.

Good luck and enjoy. You'll have to tell as all about it when you get to Reno.

Dennis and Mary Kay
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 11:56 AM   #4
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks to both of you. I have some homework to do now, both on parks in this area and Yellowstone.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:57 PM   #5
palebluedot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #36
Now Steve you have gone and ruined my day. You going to Glacier and me not being able to tag along. Who was it (MOC member) that was a host at Apgar campground in Glacier a couple summers back that got chased by the fires? I guess they have a 14 day limit in the gov. campgrounds, but it might be worth a check. I saw an ad in Trailer Life of someone selling deeded RV lots just north of Polson on south end of Flathead lake. A day trip up to Waterton Park to the Prince of Wales hotel is nice. A guy once told me not to make the mistake of dying without first seeing Glacier. Happy camping !!
palebluedot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:24 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks, PBD! And Happy Birthday to you! Just saw on the front page that today is your birthday. You have plenty of time to arrange the trip to join us, by the way...

Thanks everyone for the info. I am saving it and starting my decision making research this afternoon.
Old 02-25-2005, 05:20 AM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
It was Jim and Karan. Wonderful people. They have worked camped there either two or three years. This past year I don't think they were at Apgar but Fish Creek. There campsite was unbelievable beautiful. Like something out of a novel or faerie tale book. I have a couple of pictures on them in my photo area in the link in my signature line. I think the section is the Montana Trip 2004? They have a early 3400RL and it's very homey and comfortable.

We went and spent the day with them last year. If we're lucky enough to make it there again this year we hope to spend more time with them. There are plenty of great full hook up parks just outside of Glacier. It won't be hard to find one.

Glacier is beautiful and truly awesome. Parts of it take your breath away.

Take care all,
Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:49 AM   #8
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Steve & Vicki

We have reservations at Yellowstone's Fishing Bridge campground for Jun 16-19. We made these reservations in Sept of 04. They fill up really fast so I don't know if there would be anything available especially for that long of stay. This is our second time to Yellowstone. We also have reservations for Glacier at Mountain Meadows Jun 20-24. We heard a lot of good information on Mountain Meadows and we liked the idea of big rig sites. They were very friendly when we talked to them.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 04:07 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks again for great information everyone. Tbhd, I'm hoping to get reservations made this weekend if it's not already too late. Surely we can find something suitable. I hope. We'll be at Yellowstone from early July until early August, then from August until early September in the Glacier area.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:24 AM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I'm pleased to say we were able to make our reservation today for the Glacier National Park area. We'll be at Mountain Meadow CG in/near Hungry Horse, MT, just a little ways outside the park entrance. This park has free wi-fi to the rv sites now! We'll be there for a month, 7/14-8/14. So now we're set for Glacier and Yellowstone and I'm already getting really excited about this summer. After those two, it's on to Minden/Reno for the rally!

Thanks to everyone for all the help. There were several good choices to pick from.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:19 PM   #11
tbhd
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2221
Sure glad you were able to get in to Mountain Meadows. Wish we could stay as long as you guys and that we would be there at the same time. We'll try and let you know how the park is and especially the wi-fi along with some pictures after our trip.
tbhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 05:08 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I would appreciate that, tbhd. HamRad has been there and noted it is a very pretty park. I can't imagine many places in that area NOT being pretty. Do let us know what you think of the park and the area. And maybe hang around a bit. We'll arrive on 7/14.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:37 AM   #13
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Steve, Glad you got a site. I was going to steer you away from staying on the east side. I love it over there but its so windy at times. 50-70 mph on a good day. You will enjoy it, I go every year and just have to keep going back. Happy Birthday
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 04:04 AM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Thanks jsmitfl. Never having been there I know we're in for a real treat but I don't know anything about it. When I looked at the map it appeared we'd be closer to the things we want to do in the park if we stayed on the west side. Second time maybe we'll try the east side. Being from Kansas, land of the perpetual wind, we're used to that! Still....

I went to the national parks site and downloaded lots of info on the park and the area. Saved the webpages to peruse when we get to where our only connection is a central modem for email. Also downloaded a lot of info on the hiking trails, which we'll likely do a lot of while there.

We were very excited about spending time at Yosemite this last spring and I'm getting very excited about going to Glacier and Yellowstone this summer. We've never been to either.

Thanks.