Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 01-19-2005, 03:13 AM   #1
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Prince Edward Island, Canada

Hoping to manage a trip to PEI this summer or early fall. Looking for any words of wisdom re: campgrounds, travel (ferry or bridge?) and favorite stops. Thanks in advance everyone!

Bowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 03:59 AM   #2
315RLS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1900
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Bowie

Hoping to manage a trip to PEI this summer or early fall. Looking for any words of wisdom re: campgrounds, travel (ferry or bridge?) and favorite stops. Thanks in advance everyone!
We were up last summer. Didn't stay at campgrounds so no recommendations although we were looking at the National Parks, seemed nice. I think the bridge was $34. You pay when you leave. Definately worth it vs. ferry for us.
315RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 03:41 PM   #3
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Was that $34 for a car? Or was that for truck w/ camper attached. Do you happen to remember the cost of the ferry for a camper? Thanks.
Old 01-24-2005, 11:05 PM   #4
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
Trips over to PEI were free, it only costs to get off. We went from Nova Scotia to PEI in 2001 via the ferry and came back by the bridge. I believe the ferry cost $140+ and the bridge was $43 for both truck and trailer. These amounts are Canadian dollars. At the time we had a 3280 Montana and a 1 ton Dodge dually.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 01:59 AM   #5
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks! WHEW!! Guess we'll be squeezing the budget a bit more!! Any suggestions re your favorite discoveries while there?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:12 AM   #6
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We too are looking at doing some of the Maritimes so I will be following this thread closely.

I also noticed that one of the new members for the 24th is from PEI. Hopefully he will jump in here as well.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 02:16 AM   #7
Ray and Karen

M.O.C. #2354
Send a message via MSN to Ray and Karen
We have been to PEI several times and the park we stayed at on each ocassion was Holiday Haven, Charlottetown. Nice park with lots of room for the large trailers. We always request the sites that are near the water. Here are some links that you can check out that will answer many of your questions. More convenient and cost effective to travel via the bridge.

www.nfl-bay.com/english/nfl/fares.html
www.confederationbridge.com
www.holidayhaven.pe.ca/#
Ray and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:40 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thank you Ray and Karen and Welcome to the MOC Family.
I will be placing those links into my Maritime Favorites file.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 11:23 PM   #9
Montana_31
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #31
I stand corrected on the cost of the ferry. I got the price by word of mouth from another camper. We were 50' long with the truck and trailer, so it would have been almost double to use the ferry over the bridge. Those are good info sites to look at for your trip. If you go to Nova Scotia, be sure to do the Cabot Trail on Cape Breton. Don't take the trailer, only your tow vehicle. Scenic routes around Nove Scotia are given different names Lighthouse Trail, Cabot Trail, etc. It's a great trip and enjoy the potatoes on PEI, they're everywhere. Never knew that there were that many varieties.
Montana_31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 03:31 AM   #10
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Thanks for the good words. The links are super helpful Ray and Karen. Much appreciated. The ferry cost is enormous, bridge more affordable--and it looks as if it could be a gorgeous ride. Will check out the campground.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:09 PM   #11
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
We spent 2 weeks in the Maritimes in June 2003. PEI was a favourite for us and we plan on spending a whole summer there when Glenda retires. While in PEI we stayed at the KOA campground at Cavendish. It was a nice park and would have no trouble recommending it.

As mentionned above, if you get the chance to spend some time near the Cabot Trail do so. It certainly has breathtaking scenery but DO NOT take the fiver on the trail. Some of the curves are pretty tight. The roads are excellent. We left our Monty at the KOA near Seal Island while we drove the Trail. The trail was about a 15 min drive from this park.

We did the Cabot Trail before we went to PEI so we took the ferry from Caribou to PEI. As mentioned you don't pay to get onto the island; only off. We took the bridge when we left the island. It's much cheaper than the ferry.

Have fun, it was a beautiful trip.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 05:37 AM   #12
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Appreciate all the info Chester. Especially the heads up about NOT taking the Monty on the Cabot Trail. Will check out the campgrounds and make reservations soon. Getting excited.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:15 PM   #13
Ray and Karen

M.O.C. #2354
Send a message via MSN to Ray and Karen
We also did the Cabot Trail and it was an experience I will never forget. We climbed Cape Smokey with our 32 ft. Terry in tow. Not sure if I will ever try this with the Monty. The National Park at Ingonish was very beautiful and it has fully serviced sites.
Ray and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 01:16 PM   #14
Chester
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #908
You're welcome Bowie. Feel free to email me if you need anymore info.There is so much to see in the Maritimes. If you do go to the Cabot Trail take a few hours to go through the Alexander Graham Bell Museum in Baddeck. Also if you have time go to Peggy's Cove just south of Halifax. We spent a couple of days there as well.

Enjoy your trip...it was one of the nicest we've taken.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:13 AM   #15
Bowie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1475
Chester--Peggy's Cove is a requirement. My parents took the family there back in the 1950's--one of Dad's favorite spots and so a bit of a pilgrimage for us. Obviously have not been back since so am happy for all input!