Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2018, 09:30 AM   #21
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Well I can see this debate will never end ��!

I am not saying you HAVE to buy a dually even if it doesn’t fit your daily driving habits. IT IS YOUR CHOICE WHAT YOU DRIVE!

While the stability during a blowout may not be the strongest argument for owning a dually, I for one, will side with the being able to limp it to a tire shop vs changing the tire in 90F on the side of a metropolitan interstate as being in the plus column!!

But I still hold to the number one reason being SAFETY! You have a little extra weight capacity. A LOT more stability. And I still argue better braking under LOAD!

Yes BOTH my fenders already have dents but I also avoided a wreck when emergency braking while towing my tractor recently. Function over looks any day!

2018 Montana High Country 381TH Garage Full of Toys
Old 06-03-2018, 09:43 AM   #22
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
This doesn’t sound like a very good reason to have a DRW truck. If the OP hadn’t had a DRW truck he probably wouldn’t have had a blowout.
If I had a blowout I would pull off the road and replace the wheel in about 15 minuets but I haven’t had a blowout in at least 40 years so I’m not really concerned.
Lynwood
The reason for a dually is the needed weight capacity, period, end of story..
Montana 3610rl put 200 lbs over the truck capacity on our 2015 3500 Ram megacab, 2015 gvwr was 12300. New truck has a gvwr of 14000, tow rating of 30,000... Im going to get it weighed today just for curiosity...i made the "mistake" of buying The 2015 . If i ever buy another truck for towing, it will be a Dually with the most capabilities, or a mdt....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170630_084253.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	1730  
Old 06-03-2018, 09:55 AM   #23
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Lynwood you are right.I can not remember the last time we had a "blowout" on any vehicle truck or car. The last one we had on the inside right dually the tire was "flat" but not off the rim a nail had got into it and caused a slow leak.It actually had 30 lbs of air in it when we got into the truck stop. We can no longer change tires truck, car, Rv so we rely on road service and proper tire maintenance. The dually was to meet weight specs.

We did witness a "blowout" a couple of years ago on the outside dually of a one ton Chevy truck.He passed us trailing smoke from the tire and when he got about two truck lengths in front of us it exploded showering bits of tire and dually fender everywhere including the windshield and hood of our truck. He swerved into the median and got stopped without incident. A "blowout" can happen any time but it is not a high concern to us.
Old 06-03-2018, 02:44 PM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
dfb said ins Post # 22... "The reason for a dually is the needed weight capacity, period, end of story..

Montana 3610rl put 200 lbs over the truck capacity on our 2015 3500 Ram megacab, 2015 gvwr was 12300. New truck has a gvwr of 14000, tow rating of 30,000... Im going to get it weighed today just for curiosity...i made the "mistake" of buying The 2015 . If i ever buy another truck for towing, it will be a Dually with the most capabilities, or a mdt....

Exactly.....Example our F-350 has a GVW of 13, 000 lbs (special ordered that way) The max Carry capacity is listed as not to exceed 4268lbs. The heaviest the truck has ever weighed loaded and ready to tow was 9215lbs so that is the number we use.13,000 GVW less the actual truck weight of 9215lbs gives us the actual Carry capacity of 3785 lbs. The highest pin weight we have ever recorded was 3,200(3402) so we use that number. 3785 actual Carry capacity less max pin weight 3200lbs leaves us with a surplus carry capacity of 588 lbs..

That is the truck we needed to pull this Montana around within specs and that is why we have it. Yes It is the individuals choice on what truck we buy. The primary purpose FOR US was to tow a heavy Montana safely and within specs.We are long timers logging many, many miles and safety was our prime concern. We have no argument with anyone's reasoning on the truck they purchased.This was ours.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:05 PM   #25
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
This doesn’t sound like a very good reason to have a DRW truck. If the OP hadn’t had a DRW truck he probably wouldn’t have had a blowout.
If I had a blowout I would pull off the road and replace the wheel in about 15 minuets but I haven’t had a blowout in at least 40 years so I’m not really concerned.
Lynwood
I had one blow in about 54 years. About 12 years ago a 3 month old Goodyear LT went.
Old 06-03-2018, 03:47 PM   #26
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
I guess I am biased because I am towing a 42' heavy trailer loaded down with toys. And I have had a SRW previously. But it just seems to me that SAFETY while towing is paramount to all other considerations when choosing a truck. That being the case the DRW is the only way to go for us! Anyone who has ever owned both knows that a DRW is a more stable towing platform. Granted a very select few might have downgraded back to SRW after a DRW but I bet their reasons had nothing to do with the safety aspects of the DRW!!!

Say what you want but I had the experience of towing our previous shorter and lighter camper with both a SRW and a DRW. The difference was night and day!!! The dually felt so much more solid it amazed me. Now that we have a mega 5th wheel I would not even think of anything less!!

I'm not going to change the mind of any bull headed folks on here towing their 35' or less camper with a SRW. I get that. I am sure your under weight and most likely don't require the DRW with the current unit and will never buy anything larger. BUT if an inexperienced person asks me what I recommend, I am going to advise them on what will be a safe choice and give them room to grow.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:08 PM   #27
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
This thread reminds me of discussing religion and politics at the bar, not!
Old 06-03-2018, 04:36 PM   #28
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
I see a lot that may have made the drw choice due to need, others bought the hype and misery loves company.
My 5er is 43' but all numbers meet at the scale. Had a drw, named it PIA. 1 and done, will make certain there is never a need.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:47 PM   #29
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
John,

That really does amaze me if your at 43' and still not over weight somehow with an SRW?? That would be amazingly light construction!
Old 06-03-2018, 04:51 PM   #30
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Funny how all the DRW guys add another fuel tank to there truck not that 38 or so gallons isn't enough fuel for them. Then they haul a 40' plus 5th wheel. Personally that wouldnt even work for me as I am on a cross country trip. So far I have driven 1,400 miles so far and mine is only 32'. I find all the new 5ers come with stuff i see no need for unless you live in them. All that stuff does is make them super heavy where you need a DRW but I would never go that way with a new 5er. The new trucks are so much better than trucks 5 years old with stability control they now have. I feel very safe with my SRW thank you very much
Old 06-03-2018, 05:01 PM   #31
dsttexas
Established Member

M.O.C. #15936
Had both, it's in your priorities

Had 2011 Silverado 3500 dually diesel, now have 2017 Silverado 3500 SRW diesel. Both pull my 2015 Montana real fine, newer truck gets better mileage, loaded or unloaded than the 2011. Same rear end ratios (3.73 I think?) Now get 17-20 highway unloaded vs 14-17, and now get 11-12 loaded vs 9-10. So I think just improvements in the newer diesel and nothing to do with DRW vs SRW. My SRW weight and tire ratings are more than sufficient for my loaded travels. Make sure you actually weigh your rig, loaded and unloaded, and compare against all the specs (GVWR, GCWR, rear axle weight rating, rear tire capacity, etc.)

I've pulled some long steep hills with both trucks, and the more efficient rear end ratios didn't hold me back at all, used tow / haul mode and kept steady 65-70 mph on 5% grades. Increased torque on the 2017 is amazing however. Quite an improvement.

I too thought the DRW would add stability, and it was very stable, but the difference with the SRW is not that much. Feels very safe and steady. To me the added stability was not worth the much stiffer and rougher ride when not hauling, and most (70-80%) of my mileage is not hauling. With the dually, when not hauling, I lowered the tire pressures to 60 each in the rear and that helped somewhat with comfort. The scrubbing you get when turning on rear dually tires will lower your tread life somewhat. Another trade off to consider.

Lots of opinions, go with what you prioritize most.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:09 PM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do not have a extra fuel tank in our dually. It is just a matter of knowing and understanding the specifications on the truck and Rv and doing the numbers.It is simple math.

Copy the numbers from your truck SWD, Dually and do the math I posted in post # 24. it will leave no doubt then do whatever you choose to do.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:31 PM   #33
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
I see a lot that may have made the drw choice due to need, others bought the hype and misery loves company.
My 5er is 43' but all numbers meet at the scale. Had a drw, named it PIA. 1 and done, will make certain there is never a need.
The 2017 MontanaHC 370Br is listed at GVW of 15,200lbs which is 600 lbs lighter than our 13 3402. Look at the numbers of your 2016 F-350 Lariat of the door jam drivers side and plug in the numbers using the math I posted in Post # 24. Your scale numbers will give you all the accurate data you need. The only number that MIGHT be in question is the pin weight of your unit and the carry capacity of the truck. Easy math. Still individual choice.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:38 PM   #34
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
[QUOTE=The Bone;1100948]Funny how all the DRW guys add another fuel tank to there truck not that 38 or so gallons isn't enough fuel for them. Then they haul a 40' plus 5th wheel. Personally that wouldnt even work for me as I am on a cross country trip. So far I have driven 1,400 miles so far and mine is only 32'. I find all the new 5ers come with stuff i see no need for unless you live in them. All that stuff does is make them super heavy where you need a DRW but I would never go that way with a new 5er. The new trucks are so much better than trucks 5 years old with stability control they now have. I feel very safe with my SRW thank you very much[/QUOT

I get it, not everyone wants or needs a camper as large as ours. If your 32' fits you well that's good enough. And at only 32' you are probably just fine in an SRW (that's what I pulled my former 34' with but I will say again that the DRW did feel a LOT safer even with the 34').

As for us, we use our camper to pursue other adventures (like kayaking and motorcycles) and as such the toy hauler function of the HC 381TH fits us to a T. It also is well laid out when we have some of our 12 grandkids with us!!

While we are not quite ready for retirement and full timing, we do like have a camper that is roomy (last one we had was 32' and we felt cramped in it). I absolutely can't see us downsizing in retirement.

As for traveling with the larger camper, I really don't see much difference rolling down the highway. It is a bit more difficult to park and sometimes RV sites are a little harder to find but overall we are very pleased with our 5er. And amazingly enough the fuel mileage (as if you should be at all concerned about that if you own a 5th wheel) really isn't much different. At most maybe a 1/2mile per gallon or so.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:46 PM   #35
CarWin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21110
mtlakejim stated :"But I still hold to the number one reason being SAFETY! You have a little extra weight capacity. A LOT more stability. And I still argue better braking under LOAD!"

I disagree with your statement(s)... I have owned both also and the stability is NOT that much greater with a dually in my opinion.

About your braking argument, explain how it is better under load. You have the EXACT same brakes on SRW and DRW vehicles. The ONLY way to better your braking is to install hydraulic brakes on your 5er!!!

Out of curiosity Jim, What will you be at gross weight(truck/rv) when you put the welder on your truck that you are getting?
Old 06-03-2018, 09:21 PM   #36
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by richfaa View Post
The 2017 MontanaHC 370Br is listed at GVW of 15,200lbs which is 600 lbs lighter than our 13 3402. Look at the numbers of your 2016 F-350 Lariat of the door jam drivers side and plug in the numbers using the math I posted in Post # 24. Your scale numbers will give you all the accurate data you need. The only number that MIGHT be in question is the pin weight of your unit and the carry capacity of the truck. Easy math. Still individual choice.
That 15,200 includes nearly 3500# CC of which we use almost 2000 (inc separate washer/dryer). With hitch, wife, me, dog, and cooler with drinks and snacks plus PW we are just over 200# under payload when loaded for 3 months at snowbird location. Rides level with no suspension enhancements. No need for the 1500# extra payload PIA provided.
Old 06-04-2018, 06:46 AM   #37
mtlakejim
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20693
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarWin View Post
mtlakejim stated :"But I still hold to the number one reason being SAFETY! You have a little extra weight capacity. A LOT more stability. And I still argue better braking under LOAD!"

I disagree with your statement(s)... I have owned both also and the stability is NOT that much greater with a dually in my opinion.

About your braking argument, explain how it is better under load. You have the EXACT same brakes on SRW and DRW vehicles. The ONLY way to better your braking is to install hydraulic brakes on your 5er!!!

Out of curiosity Jim, What will you be at gross weight(truck/rv) when you put the welder on your truck that you are getting?
Well we will have to agree to disagree.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:38 AM   #38
dfb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17163
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
That 15,200 includes nearly 3500# CC of which we use almost 2000 (inc separate washer/dryer). With hitch, wife, me, dog, and cooler with drinks and snacks plus PW we are just over 200# under payload when loaded for 3 months at snowbird location. Rides level with no suspension enhancements. No need for the 1500# extra payload PIA provided.
Pin weight... Thats what killed me on our 15 ram 3500 mega... even with a gvwr of 12300..dually or a lighter rv was the only cure..
Old 06-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #39
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I agree with CarWin. My brother had a 06 3500 DRW Chevy DMax and I have an 08 F250. We pulled both his and my fiver with both trucks. Other than my truck having much more power neither of us could tell any difference in the stability of our trucks. My truck has been tuned so it would have more power and I have 20 inch wheels so that might explain why there was no difference in the stability of the trucks.
Lynwood
Old 06-04-2018, 07:50 AM   #40
The Bone
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17521
Buy what you personally like or feel you need but there is no reason everyone needs a DRW because they are safer. Simply not the case.
Closed Thread