Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2009, 02:53 AM   #1
mperk
Established Member

M.O.C. #1124
Winterizing

This is the first year that we will not be putting the fiver away for the winter, we will be using it off and on at a park on the lake. My question is when we are expecting freezing weather would it be ok to open the low point drains, drain the water heater, and use a compressor to blow out all the water lines? I don't really want to use the pink stuff when we will be using the rig multiple times. What do others do when they are not full timing in there unit but still using it during freezing weather?

mperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:05 AM   #2
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
mperk.

You can blow out all the lines with a compressor and drain hot water tank, but do not forget to add rv antifreeze to all your drains.

Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:14 AM   #3
Tom S.
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7500
Blowing out the lines works, but before we had a washing machine installed, I used the same procedure as using anti-freeze, that is going from faucet to faucet before using the low point drains to make sure I got the low spots in the lines not affected by the low point drains. Also, I still pour anti-freeze in the traps. Because I can't do this proceedure with the washer, I now use anti-freeze.
Tom S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:34 AM   #4
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
If you are blowing out your rv lines then what I do is instead of using expensive RV anti-freeze, I use something else. Walmart automotive winshield washer fluid. There are two kinds one is 32 degrees which is not needed in this case. The other is 0 degrees is what we do use.
This is used in the drains of sinks, and toilet. We don't use it in the water lines.
Never had a problem.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #5
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
We too live in Texas north of you around DFW. We have had good luck just opening all the lower cabinets, especially where the water pump is (note we have a TT rather than a 5er) and using a small electric heater with a thermostat. We leave our TT plugged in all the time. We also leave the furnace on as low as it will go (40) when it's supposed to freeze. That way I have double protection. One year we had a problem with the low points freezing and then a plug of ice kept the water from flowing to half the trailer. Now I use a shop light pointed at the drains and turn it on in case of a freeze warning. It costs a little more, but I'm ready at the drop of a hat to go. Now that we're retired I have a little more time, so last year I blew the lines out, opened all the drains, and used WalMart's windshield washer (as stated above) in the drains, but I didn't feel comfortable with the pump not being treated and it's just so much easier to NOT do all that!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote