Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 03-01-2009, 08:33 AM   #1
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
1000 Trails

Is anybody a member of 1000 Trails...if so, what is your opinion?

www.1000trails.com

Thanks.

TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 09:52 AM   #2
Wschep
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #8810
We are not members of 1000 Trails B U T Wayne's parents are and we visited them this year near Orlando, FL (Clermont??). They absolutely love their membership and Wayne's brother just bought in. That particular campground I thought was pretty good and although the bathrooms appeared older they were very clean and kept up. Supposedly if you are a member they will not turn you away as they always keep some lots open. I was surprised by the older trailers camping there. It must be good - there were also some gorgeous Montana Fifth Wheels!!! Cyndie
Wschep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
Deffinately set thru the sales pitch before making your decision. Look into the price and cg locations very closely.
We were at the 1000 Trails here in Clermont and since we already had RPI, they reduced the cost to only $3995 with around $600 yearly dues. They started at $12000, but gave us a special deal for that day only.
If you are using these cg's for nightly stays, look at Passport America. If you want to use them for base camps of one or two weeks, RPI is a lot cheeper and a lot more cg's across the USA.
I do own a lifetime RPI that suites our life style of travels, but you have to find the membership that fits your needs. Have fun shopping!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:28 PM   #4
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
We've been 1000 Trails members for seven years. Although we haven't used our membership much in the past two years, we felt it was a good buy. We paid $3,000 for our membership and the maintenance fees are $450 per year (right now -- they go up every year). We get to stay in the system for two weeks, then have to leave the system for one week. We can stay at parks for unlimited days (as long as we follow the 2-in 1-out rule.

I would never pay over $3,000 for a membership because you can purchase memberships from any number of other members for little or nothing. We've known many who have sold their membership to others for $500 plus the transfer fee (about another $500). As a matter of fact, we know one couple who gave away their membership to another couple and they (the new couple) paid the transfer fee. Fairly cheap membership, don't you think.

As we're getting up there in age, our membership will someday in the future, go on the market also.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:20 PM   #5
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
We are also members, signing up for a VIP membership in Bend Oregon. We can stay 3 weeks in one park and move to another for 3 weeks without any time out of the system. This means I could stay in AZ, CA, OR and WA forever without paying a nightly fee. My annual dues are $464. That's the good part. I like their philosphy in that their parks are preserves and they tend to be a little greener than most RV parks. All are family oriented with many family and child activities during the summer months. 80% of the parks have some sort of water feature, i.e. lake, river, ocean, and pools. Most have on-site eateries, nice because most are very rural also. I have noticed that some need upgrading, TT has been around since '79 and many of the parks seem outdated. They have been upgrading gradually. Their locales outside the above states is somewhat limited. Most are in southern border states and up the east coast. Of course they are also affiliated with other clubs and some benefits crossover. There are many membership plans available and one must fully understand what they are getting when they buy. Many are available thru E-bay or other sites on line. YOU MUST CONTACT 1000 Trails admin to make sure a membership is transferrable before putting any money out. Signing up directly thru TT is very expensive and we expect it to be a few years before we actually see a return on our investment, but paying the fees up front in full alleviates having to pay a nightly fee. If I stayed in TT parks for 14 months straight I will pay for my initial buy in. My annual dues are fixed also and cannot go up each year, again, it depends on the plan you sign up for. 1000 Trails is not for everyone, but neither is Escapees or Passport America or Good Sam (Which we are also members of). BUYER BEWARE IS THE KEY!!! Know what you are getting before you spend the money. (Duh, this goes without saying, but you will be suprised how many folks don't check it out).

This has been my experience and opinions and not subject to scrutiny by others who have other experiences....I hope this helps you make a better decision......
exav8tr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:29 PM   #6
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I'v heard a lot of good about T Trails, if you look at there in service record they have been around for a long time now. I dont know how much a membership is but it cant be cheap.
Old 03-02-2009, 01:35 AM   #7
ken
Montana Master

M.O.C. #345
There are a lot of resales of TT and other camping membership it trailerlife. We bought one in Florida years ago. We also belong to Outdoor World another membership group. Both are owned by Lifestyle inc. Everyone has pretty well summed them up. With the two, we camp all winter in Florida for the price of our membership dues which are frozen. We do belong to Passport too.
ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #8
CasaDelSol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8563
We got our membership for free when we bought our first fifth wheel from Lazy Days. Yearly fee is $500 to $550. The cg in Clermont (near Orlando) gets so full in the winter that we cannot get reservations there even though it is considered our "home" park. Very annoying.
CasaDelSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 AM   #9
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Can anyone explain the different packages? I see NACO and other items in a TT sale and don't understand any of it. Phil, what is your package called?

Others please?
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 AM   #10
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Waynem
When we purchased our membership in 2002, NACO was included. It seems that Thousand Trails purchased NACO and included it in their membership program. Some NACO people felt they were being infringed upon but if NACO had not been purchased by TT, they would have failed.

It's a good membership. If you can find one for just paying the transfer fee, you won't go wrong. It's really nice to make reservations, drive up to the gate and receive a receipt that says amount due "$0.00."

Orv
Old 03-06-2009, 07:51 AM   #11
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
Wayne, mine is called a VIP Program. To see the different packages you would have to see an individual contract from years past (if you are contemplating tranferrring somebody elses to you), OR see a TT Salesperson to see the current plans. Over the years (since 1979) there have been several different plans and each one is a little different. There are advantages and disadvantages to different plans and it really depends on what you are looking for as to what plan you decide on....With a VIP Program you get three weeks at each preserve with no time out (allows you to go from one park to the next, same day), I also get discounts on cruises and condo vacations, 4 family passes each year and some other bennies I can't remember, of course this is the most expensive also, but I was able to piggy back on to my sisters program and made them VIPs also, we also get an additional 30 days for reservations (120 days ahead instead of 90). We also get discounted cabin rental for a week a year. If I was looking again, I would look at tranfers on line, remember to check member number with TT to make sure it is transferrable. Memberships must be active and paid up in order to be tranferrable, some aren't....
Old 03-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #12
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
We are scheduled into the Clermont TT here in FL for April 1/2/3. Not sure if it will fit into our lifestyle. I may need some further surgery this coming year and I am not sure how much traveling we will be doing. This is a good discussion. I will also look online (ebay) and at TT's website previous to my visit.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 04:08 AM   #13
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Look here:

Campground memberships for sale

Edited: Changed link

Phil, thanks for the information. It may be something I want to look into. DW dose not think it's a good thing. We have a Time Share Condo at April Sound, Whitewater, on Lake Conroe that I can't get rid of and I'm giving it away for just the Quitclaim Deed payment - probably less than $100. She doesn't want to get "stuck" like that again, even if I only paid $500 for the TS!
Old 03-11-2009, 04:29 AM   #14
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
What's involved in these "transfers" of memberships? I read previously here that one must make sure the dues are paid up to date, I believe? What's a Gold Membership (TT). Went on TT website last night and quickly browsed. Could not locate any description of individual plans.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:05 AM   #15
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dsprik

What's involved in these "transfers" of memberships? I read previously here that one must make sure the dues are paid up to date, I believe? What's a Gold Membership (TT). Went on TT website last night and quickly browsed. Could not locate any description of individual plans.
In my discussion with TT Headquarters a while back, they told me that you can write a letter and turn your membership back in when you're quitting the lifestyle. According to the lady I talked to is that you have had to have the membership for at least three years before turning it in. I'd rather give my membership to someone who could use it as long as they pay the transfer fee (when the time comes).

Orv
Old 03-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #16
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks, Orv - and also thanks to Wayne for providing that link. I need info on the different levels/plans available, I guess. Just not sure it will be for us. We now are anchored in two places - Disney (work/play/friends) in the winter, and Northern MI (grandkids/kids/sisters/dad/boat) in the summer.

We would like to go west to SD/WY as a first choice for travel and TT has nothing in that area, so that is a negative point.

~Edit: sp
Old 03-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #17
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Some of the shorter memberships are not transferable...TT's three year membership, for one.

Check for a transfer fee...TT is around $750.
Old 03-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #18
exav8tr
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6333
I really think one must really utilize the TT preserves to make your money back and make it pay. For example, we will be staying at 4 different TT parks in the next 3 months, a total of 95 days in which we do not pay a nightly fee, this is a $2800 savings at $30.00 a night. We do enjoy the lifestyle at these preserves, more like camping than RV'ing. Dave, you are right there are not many preserves in the central and midwest states where you plan on going, not sure I would make the investment, unless I could get something "Real Cheap" for the future. Tom is correct as most transfer fess are around $700. plus the dollars you must pay the owner for the membership......
Old 03-13-2009, 02:56 PM   #19
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
One other small fee TT does not always tell you up front...if the CG had 50 amp service when purchased by TT there is no charge. If TT put in the 50 amp service after the purchase, it is $3 a night. Plus, the number of spaces with 50 amp service is limited in some CGs.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:04 PM   #20
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
David,
If it works anything like other time shares, all you need is a willing body and a Quitclaim Deed. Call TT and ask if that is what is needed, then do a Google search on the words "Quitclaim deed" without the quotes and you will find all kinds of information. Basically it is a notarized document where one party is surrendering real estate to another party and it must be witness by two non-affiliated individuals. Then, filed in the county of property record. I'll bet that TT does all that work for you, that is why the $750 cost. You know - lawyer involved!