Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-10-2006, 01:38 PM   #1
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
hydraulic pump leaking

Well Saturday I got the camper out to go over as I had appointment to have warranty items done and a few now warranty done. well to make story short I opened the storage garage door and there is this puddle under the front edge of hydraulic fluid. Well in looking over the pump I see it is leaking between pump and reservoir where the black band is. half the tank empty. Now just two weeks ago I was checking the battery and everything OK. It just decided to let loose. no pressure as not used since last Oct when it was put away. so took it to dealer sat. they said that was the second one they seen like that. whole unit to be replaced no fix. they said last month they had the same thing happen on there lot.. So it will be done but took 7 to ten days for them to get the other one. So it sits and because slides are in the work has to wait. Oh well at least the I still have warranty until 20 may.

ken

keham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Ken,

You have warranty for five years from the date your coach was built on all of the slide system components. I sure wish your dealer would have called us. We would have shipped the new pump to you and you would have had it within 5 business days. Probabably in about three days to Cedar Rapids. Did he get the pump from Keystone? Why do they have to wait until the new pump comes in to move the rooms out? They can do it now if the tank is half full. They just may not be able to get them in without having to add fluid (ATF)because, the level may be too low for the pump to prime.

You need to call me at my desk. 866-524-7821 ext 4542.

By the way, you have the truck I wanted! The dealer couldn't find me one so, I had to settle for what you see in my signature. Now, I wouldn't trade it for all of the gold in California!

Dale
MIMF
MIMF2
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2006, 02:15 PM   #3
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
dale
they are going to do some other things they can. as to the slides am sure they could but I told them it was ok to wait. Dale not sure where the pump will come from will see them tomorrow and try to have ED contact you if they haven't already ordered. But I can wait as nothing really planed until may 4Th.

ken

PS dale any ideas why it would let loose like that? Or just luck of the draw.

Oh I love my white truck it goes with camper so well. and doesn't show the drit like my old green one did.
Old 04-10-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Ken,

That black plastic flange around the mouth of the tank that holds it to the pump is just that. Plastic! If you get a chance to look at close, you will notice that where the screws thread into it that there are threaded steel inserts molded into the plastic. Over time the plastic cures and shrinks. Thus, stress cracks occure and leaks soon follow. There is an "O" ring around the lip of the pump that the tank seals over but, it isn't enough to keep it from leaking.

I know that Parker, the maker of the pump is working on that problem. It simply stems from the molding process variables when it comes to injecting that hot molten plastic into a mold cavity. Melt temperature, mold temperature, injection pressures into the mold cavity and cooling time in the tool play a part has to how part credibility turns out. But, this all comes from a past life and I am not ready to back there yet.

Besides, for the first five years, we will replace it until we get it right for as many times as necessary.

Dale
Old 04-10-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Well I got the impression that it must not be a high problematic problem. But now that I think about it the weather here has been up to 60 down to 20 every other day this past two weeks (couple days went to 5 degs from high 50,s) maybe that helped it along, especially since it hasn't been being used.
Old 04-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #6
keham
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3778
Dale
Thanks for your help! I sent you a PM.
Old 04-12-2006, 01:20 PM   #7
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Ken, not a problem! The new pump shipped this afternoon. Hope they get done with your coach soon.
Old 04-13-2006, 03:28 AM   #8
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
Hi Dale,

Just curious, I was reading your post about the warranty. You posted that the warranty on the slides is five years from the date your coach was built. So they warranty starts from the day the coach comes off the line, or the day you purchase it from the dealer?

Thanks for all of you help on the board.

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #9
rvfirefighter
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5314
I have had some leaking problems on my unit in this same area. I put some absorbent towels under the reservoir to contain the drainage, was not alot, but it would get on things I have stored in the front. The dealer said the reservoir was not screws were not tight. I need to check this again, this work was done last month.
rvfirefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #10
2Seekers
Established Member

M.O.C. #4341
Dale, Apparently several are having this leaking problem. I have just checked mine and found that puddle of fluid under the slide system hydraulic pump/tank. Called Dandy RV in Birmingham, AL (where purchased) was told they have had several customers with the same problem and have been waiting six weeks on two orders for pumps from Keystone. I live in TN near Nashville now and local Montana dealer asked "did you buy it here?" Will I need to pull to Birmingham for my dealer to verify before being able to order new pump under warranty?

Thanks

Byron
PS-Saw your ph number on forum and took the liberty of calling and lvg msg. Hope that's ok. I apologize if not.
2Seekers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 07:48 AM   #11
2Seekers
Established Member

M.O.C. #4341
I have attempted to tighten all 4 screws that attach the tank to the pump but they are quite tight-I could not budge them.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:59 AM   #12
keepontruckin
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #2484
Send a message via MSN to keepontruckin
Same story here. My 1st trip with the 3500RL last October and the pump continuously leaked. The leak was where the pump joined the reservoir. Just kept extra fluid on hand. Keystone shipped another one immediately to the dealer. We replaced it, however, the solenoid was providing additional intermittent problems. I replaced the solenoid and all is well.
keepontruckin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 11:18 AM   #13
2Seekers
Established Member

M.O.C. #4341
WOW (please excuse my shouting), Dale has already called and taken care of my hydraulic pump problem! Replacement pump ships tomorrow. Thank the Lord for men and companies like Dale and Co. who stand behind their product-even going above and beyond anyone's expectations.

I am also thankful for MOC and all the folks who volunteer their services who make this forum possible. Many, many thanks.
Old 04-13-2006, 01:31 PM   #14
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Good evening Colleen,

Keystone starts their warranty on the coach the day you buy or take delivery of it. I'm not exactly sure which it is. Our warranty starts on the date that is posted on the tag which is usually the date that it came off the production line. Lippert's thinking was that we do not know what has been done or has occured with the unit until someone comes along and buys it. However, they are now rethinking this to let it start on the date of sale.

There has been on some occasions where a unit equipped with an electric system, which is three years from DOM, has gone off warrenty and I replaced parts anyway. For example, if there has been documented evidence that the system had at one time a problem that could have had an effect on a part that needed replaced a month or two or three....after warranty expired, but was still before the anniversary date of purchase, I replaced the part under warranty. In other words, we look at each situation and the circumstances. Pamela has on more than one occasion accused me of "giving away the farm"!! None the less, we try to put our selves in your shoes because several of us are RVers also.

This is a question for everyone. Do you know what the suggested retail price is for the pump in you coach if warranty is expired? If not, you really need to be setting down when you find out.

Even then when a coach transfers to a second owner, which voids the warranty, we have sold the pump for 50% of suggested retail. Especially if it was known the the pump had an issue before the coach changed hands. John C. Retail took possession and discovered an issue. We will help if at all possible.

Everyone have a good evening.

Dale
Old 04-13-2006, 06:28 PM   #15
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
OK Dale, now you gotta tell us what the retail price is. (I'm sitting down

Thank you for the value you add to this forum. It's great to know that if I have a problem, "I have a Friend in the RV frame business."
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 03:55 PM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Dale, your contribution to this forum is huge and thank you for being such a help to everyone who reads this website. You deserve a big raise.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote