Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2005, 11:35 AM   #1
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Black Tank T-handle came off....!

We'll not actually off, but disconnected. Did a search here didn't find anything on this problem. This morning when dumping the tank, the valve opened as usual, but, as it came open and the T-handle reached the outward point where it normally stops, it just came loose. It won't actually come out thru the small hole at the mounting area, feels like there's a nut or something stopping it. Tried fishing it around in case it just screws back on but no luck. The Black Tank is now in the "open valve" position and the local Keystone dealer can't see it til next tuesday.

Anyone had this problem or have an easy repair suggestion...??

jerry

jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:55 AM   #2
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
My understanding of the problem is that you will need to take the under panel loose so you can reach in and thread the handle back on. I understand from one of the other members that had the same problem as you described that it really is not that difficult of a job. Good luck.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 12:00 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Ditto what Doug said. Pull done the belly panel directly under the valve and you should be able to reconnect the rod with little or no problems.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:01 PM   #4
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
This happened to me once, I was able to feel around with handle and find the place to screw it back on, may have been dumb luck, but it worked for me. Otherwise take out a couple of screws and you should be able see enough to guide it back on. Ever since that experience, I always give the handles a few clockwise turns to make sure it is attached before pulling the handle. It would be a good project to open the belly and apply some thread locker to those rods...maybe one day I'll get around to it.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:04 PM   #5
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
Yes the pull rod does thread into the valve.Just hope that is what happened.
If the rod broke you will have to replace the valve. Good thing it broke in the open position. I had a black tank valve break in the close position I will just say it was a challange.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 01:11 PM   #6
Emmel
Montana Master

M.O.C. #808
jpf, the same thing happened to me while we were in DC. I was lucky enough to be able to screw it back in, BLIND LUCK ! Hopefully you can keep patience to keep trying to hit a hole you can't see, but it is worth trying. If it unscrewed in the open position, the little screw hole will not be too far from the out position for thr handle. Mine came unscrewed in the closed position and took a long time to find it. Good luck!
Emmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 05:21 PM   #7
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
It shouldn't be a really difficult job to drop the belly panel enough to see into the area. All things considered, however, it is probably easier to tow it to the dealer. It should be under warranty. Another advantage is that, if the valve itself is broken, it is a dealer job anyhow. Saves time, money and some significant effort.
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 03:27 AM   #8
Jeff Heiser
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2088
Going down the road we have lost all three handles at least once and the black tank handle three times. We finally took the unit to the dealer and told them FIX IT! Whatever they did to it has fixed it. We have not lost a handle in over a year. I also went and attched a length of light weight chain to each handle and attached the other end of the chain to the underside of the TT. Before the dealer fixed the problem we saved the handles at least 4 times with the chains.

God Bless America
Jeff Heiser
Merritt Island Florida
Jeff Heiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 04:20 AM   #9
jpf
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3393
Success.....!!! (At least for now)
Thanks for the advice and speedy reponses. I spent about a half hour sitting on a stool (ha ha) outside, trying all sorts of slight angles and finally got the threads to connect. Must have turned the rod about 50 turns, tested the pull gingerly at first all the way out and all the way in and it seems to be working OK. Used the water flush to make sure the valve was actually closing and opening properly.
Patience was the key..........jerry
jpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 08:41 AM   #10
deerrahn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4828
A little bit of luck and a lot of patience. Our problem was that at the plant, when the decals were put on the handles, they had put the decals on just opposite. I switched handles and solved the problem. Thank goodness I did not have to take everything apart to change them. Glad you solved your problem.
deerrahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 02:30 PM   #11
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Glad its working. We had the grey water from the galley come loose. The jam nut must not be tightened down on some of these units. One suggestion if this happens again would be to put some loctite on the threads before screwing it back in - not the permanent kind. At some point you may need to take them back out.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 04:48 PM   #12
nkwist
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #821
I had both the black and the galley handles come off. The first time (black), a friend and I dropped the black plastic panel and reattached it. With a cordless drill with the proper size socket it took only about 45 minutes. When the galley handle came off, I looked at all the propane lines, etc. and decided to call a mobile tech. He took a razor knife, cut an access through the panel, pushed the insulation out of the way and reattached it. When done, he drilled some holes and reattached the access panel with with nylon wire ties. Now I can gain access to those places in just a few minutes.

If you're lucky enough to screw it back on without having to drop the panel (or cut into it), you may not be out of the woods. On some (most?, all?) the shaft rotates in the valve, and as said before, turning it to thread it back on may not grab more than a few threads. You could turn it thousands of times and it wouldn't get any tighter. Good luck.
nkwist is offline   Reply With Quote