Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-06-2005, 06:18 PM   #1
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
Has anyone had this refrig problem?

We are in sunny Baja Mexico without a refrigerator. While taking a shower, my wife accused me of putting too much Clorox in the water since there was a terrible smell. I may have been a little heavy handed since I figured out a new way to get the bleach into the water tank---took an empty spray bottle and calculated how much liquid is squirted at a time and it is a lot easier to control.

The next day we found that our Dometic refrigerator was no longer working. It had died! Figured out that the smell was the lost of coolant, so now we have an eight cu.ft. icebox for the rest of our five months here. It cannot be repaired according to the tech I talked to in CA (but they seem to be able to fix nearly everything down here). I had located the manual on the refrig and to my dismay, discovered that I had put into it a two page sheet that has spaces for an "inspection" which has to be performed by a tech to keep the three year warranty in force. The inspection has to be performed on the anniversary date of your purchase. Most of what has to be inspected is stuff that I always do about every six months or sooner. Nothing on the inspection checklist would have detected this failure. Will see what happens when we get back to the US and can have a face to face discussion over it. Anyway, if your are like me and just filed all you papers away, you might want to go through everything and see what other time bombs are out there to blow away your warranties!

mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:50 AM   #2
BillyRay
Montana Master

M.O.C. #607
there's always a catch!
BillyRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:36 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Yes, we had the same thing happen when the unit was 3 years old. We had the extended warranty and it paid for a new refrigerator (minus shipping costs).
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 02:31 PM   #4
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Gosh it sounds like the road down the Baja was a shake down cruse that I sure dont want to try. sorry about your problems.

TT2
Old 12-07-2005, 02:46 PM   #5
gkbutler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4049
Send a message via MSN to gkbutler Send a message via Yahoo to gkbutler
Our Dometic works fine, but we had the same problem with the Norcold in our old TT. After that fiasco, we will NEVER own a unit with a Norcold unit. Had exactly the same problem. Don't know Dometic's policy, but Norcold will not deal with the consumer. You have to go through a "certified" Norcold dealer. Long and short. Fridge broke down over Labor Day weekend. Three months later and $300 out of my pocket, had the "free" warranty work done. Can empathize with you!!
gkbutler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 06:11 PM   #6
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Dometic replaced both boards in our frig in previous unit when we were struck by lightning. We did have to go to a Dometic approved service place but it was our local service center not a dealer. These boards are very expensive so we were really impressed with their handling of our problem.
Happy trails.....................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:28 AM   #7
BlackLab
Established Member

M.O.C. #2305
Mobilrvn
It appears that your cooling unit has developed a leak. When that happens it smells like AMMONIA. Remove your lower panel and look for a yellow/greenish powder or puddle. Down near the gas burner {common}

The cooling unit can be replaced. If you are mechanically inclined it would take you approx. 1 day. A replacement cooling unit costs approx. $450.

I replaced my cooling unit yesterday, Dometic 2852. Of course 2.5 yrs old and no warranty.

However do a few checks before assuming it is cooling unit:
Disconnect 110 and see if it works on gas
Check your thermistor (Thermocouple on your fins slips off}
Check your heating element
Should be 2 fuses inside your circuit bd 3&5 amp

Some models slightly different

Hope this helps Need further info contact me by email
BlackLab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Blacklab,
Thanks for info. That is good stuff to know.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 06:19 PM   #9
mobilrvn
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2056
BlackLab, Thanks for the info. Didn't find any greenish yellow powder or puddle. Everything else checked out OK. I'll have my fight with Dometic over the warranty when we get back, but what I wanted to do is warn MOCers to go back over their papers, manuals, warranties to make sure that they dot eyes and cross tees as required so there is no arguement if something breaks within the warranty period. Our Dometic is warranted for three years and it is the same model as yours---maybe they owe you?

"Stuff" happens everywhere and we haven't been on any BAD roads in Mexico since we got our Montana--have even shelled out for toll roads! Mexico is a great place to spend the winter. The prices are cheaper, the weather better, the people are nice and the food is great. You met other RVers from all over the world. You just drive the roads like you find them. We have been on much worse roads in the US---try the northern tier of states and I-10 in LA will kill you. You only go around once, so make it a hellofa dance.
mobilrvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:12 PM   #10
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Mobilrvn, did Dometic tell you that you have to have that inspection done? Last May we developed a crack in the freezer of ours. It was, at that time, 34 months old. I emailed a picture of the crack to Dometic. They told me they will replace it free of charge under the 3 year warranty if a repair facility would tell them it was not cracked because of any impact. So ours was replaced at no charge for the fridge despite never having been inspected. They did not even ask. Be aware the 3rd year of warranty covers parts but not labor to install it.

techservice@dometicusa.com

Good luck.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote