Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-23-2005, 08:52 AM   #1
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
Black Water Tank?

I have used my RV 4 times and had no problem a the dump stations. Last time the black tank didn't empty completing. This weekend I could not get the black tank to drain at all.
What can I do? I don't have a flush valve installed. Does camping world have something I can use? Help

dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 AM   #2
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
Not actually sure what the problem is. It is important to keep the black tank close until it is full and flush with plenty of water. If you don't you could have these problems. It sounds like you may have solids that have plugged the drain. Are you using chemicals? Also there was a post about a drain defect. You can buy add on flush systems, hope this helps...Les
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by dannyl

I have used my RV 4 times and had no problem a the dump stations. Last time the black tank didn't empty completing. This weekend I could not get the black tank to drain at all.
What can I do? I don't have a flush valve installed. Does camping world have something I can use? Help
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 09:52 AM   #3
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
You could purchase a Flush King from most any RV dealer, but especially from Camping World. Cost about $40 and attaches to your sewer outlet. You connect a water hose to the Flush King (with the Flush King valve closed) and have the black water valve open. Then turn on the water to the Flush King and let the water go back into your black water tank. Don't run the water too long--or have your wife stand by the toilet with the pedal down and watch for the water to come up. If water comes up to your toilet bowl, you will have dislodged anything that may have blocked your outlet.

When we first started full timing, we had a tendency to not use enough water when we flushed the toilet. Once, on a Sunday morning when we were getting ready to go to church, I noticed the contents of the black water tank getting mighty close to the toilet itself -- I had just dumped the black water the day before. What had happened was that some of the "stuff" had gotten caught near the bottom of the pipe going into the tank and gradually built up until the upper pipe was plugged. After some calming down, no swear words, I got out my trusty flexible wand and began poking down throught the toilet and the pipe until everything dislodged. Now, we use plenty of water.

One of the things that helps is my wife puts some of her toilet paper (you should know what I mean) in a waste basket. This serves two purposes: don't need as much water and the tank doesn't fill as fast.

Hope this helps some. Works for us.
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 11:55 AM   #4
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
I vote for possibly not using enough water. We also use the trash can for the "gently used" paper. Less paper, MORE water! The use of Calgon water softener (or like products) has been useful for a lot of us. Put in a bit with 3 to 5 gallons of water in the tank before travel. Sloshes around, cleans tank. If you have a lot of sludge built up, you might need professional help. Good luck, let us know your fix.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2005, 07:09 PM   #5
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
A co-worker of mine says that when he's on his way home from a trip he will empty his tank of whatever waste and solids that may be there then puts about 5-10 gallons of fresh water and a few bags of ice, cubes not blocks :-) back in.
He feels that the ice bangs around and knocks the build up off the sides then melts away. He has a little water for road side potty stops and then dumps everything when he gets home.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2005, 09:55 AM   #6
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Are you sure the dump valve is opening?
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 09:24 AM   #7
dannyl
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4190
I took the unit to my dealer and the dump rod was not opening the valve. They didn't go into detail about the fix but there was no plug noted or expressed by them.
I had a flush installed by the dealer to flush the black tank and hope this helps with the dumping.
Thanks for all your responses. This MOC and the users are a fountain of information.
dannyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 12:00 PM   #8
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I've been fighting a similar problem recently. In my case it's tissue clogging the tank outlet. Long story as to why but it's legit. The paper passes the shake test and does dissolve when agitated in water. So, use that black tank flush to fill the tank half way or so, then dump. Do it repeatedly until you get it all out. Or, fill the tank half way, then hitch up and drive it around until the agitation of the water dissolves the paper into little pieces. I don't know how much driving we're talking. Maybe 20 miles or so? More?

I didn't get it all out but did get enough to make the tank usable. But when we leave here Jan 2nd I'll make sure the tank is half full of water and when we make our first night's stop 390 miles later I'll dump it out. It should dump easily by then.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote