Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Possible 2006 Pinbox Problems

Good Morning,

I have previously said a few words about my problem on a different portion of this site, but thought I would also mention it here in hopes that I might get a few more comments. Basically, when my 06 3400RL was delivered in Nov. I noticed that it had a shorter (non-extended) pinbox which will likely cause some problems in the future if I'm not careful. The bigger problem is that it was installed to the top of its adjustment range, and since the trailer was riding 2.5" high at the front, my only choice was to lower the TV hitch. Since it was already only 1 hole (1") below its lowest setting, I am setting with the trailer front at 1.5" high (when the TV is level). For the record, my TV is a 2500HD with nother special in the way of higher suspension.

When I talked to the Mor/ryde people about installing one of their rubber pinboxes, I was told that it was not recommended since it would raise the trailer front an additional 1". This seems like a problem in the making since I was told by the Montana dealer that the Mor/ryde pinbox would likely become an option on the Monty.

I finally was able to talk with Montana Customer Support. They confirmed at all 2006 units 34' and under are being built with the extended pin box. All units over 34' are being built with the shorter pin box which does create some turning interferences. Apparantly that is one of the reasons they are coming out with the new 30% improved turning radius front cap. Mostly to get back what was lost in using the shorter pin box. I was told the use of the shorter pin box was required by the manufacturer.

They are investigating my problem that this change has also created a mismatch in the king pin height. Sometimes it's 1 step forward and 2 steps back.

Any ideas?

rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 05:11 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Hummm.I spoke to the Mor-Ryde folks yesterday about installing the hitch pin on a Montana that I will order which looks more and more to be the 3400 since the 3670 is gone.They indicated no problem.. now I do have the 05 Ford 350 which you would think would raise the camper even higher that your F-250???. Not worried about the turn ratio since it is a long bed... I am, like you now confused//I have the 16K draw tite hitch. Mor-Ryde also told me that the Pin box was not being considered as a option at the present time because of a problem with Montana Powder coating the frames starting in Feb and doing that would melt the rubber on the pin box. I will quiz the Montana reps at the RV show this afternoon....
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 01:57 PM   #3
rickfox
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2959
Rich,

My hitch is also the Draw Tite 16K; however, it is the slider model since the TV is a Chey 2500HD Crew Cab short bed. The hitch slides on 2 rectangle tubular rails (about 1.5" thick) that are pinned to the bed rails. I don't have any idea if this set up places the hitch higher in the bed than with the non-slider model. Currently, my hitch plate is 16.25" above the bed and the bed is approximately 33" above the ground. There is some guesswork here since I am estimating how much the rear of the TV will settle if it were under the load of the trailer.

As I mentioned earlier, neither Mor/ryde nor Montana are aware of any problems, but both have asked that I take pictures, make measurements, and email the info to them. And Montana has stated there have been changes made to the pinbox area on the 2006 models.

I'm guessing there has been some kind of slip up in the design or contruction. As I mentioned, my TV is a stock suspension Chevy 2500HD (I do have Firestone airbags, but only to keep the TV level) and there are a whole lot of short bed TV's using slider hitches. There is no adjustment left - either on the trailer or the TV, and the 3400 is still 1.5" high in the front. Since, the Mor/ryde pinbox would raise the front yet another 1", the Mor/ryde customer service tech recommended against installing it until the situation could be further investigated.
rickfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2006, 08:22 AM   #4
hazmic
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4962
I have a 3475 and it has a pin box that is short as you call it. Remember that if you put a extended pin box on,you have more pressure on the frame plates that hold the pin box. I have a F350 with a 8' box and have no problem with the trailer hitting the cab. The trailer sets over the axle. Also i think that the pin boxes have a weight carry capacity and the shorter the pin box,the more weight you can carry. Something also to check.
hazmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 04:58 PM   #5
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Some hitches seem to have more vertical adjustment than others. You might see what you can find out about hitches. You don't want the rig so low that your clearance above the bedrails becomes a problem, either.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote