Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-07-2016, 02:57 AM   #1
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Its Cold In Here!

We have a 2017 Montana 3661RL and the furnace will not come on. 12vdc fuse is good, gas turned on and no errors on the Dometic living room control panel. The AC, fan and heat pump functions work but furnace will not fire up. I looked at the furnace and all wires are securely connected. What next? The bedroom Dometic control panel doesn't turn the furnace on but I don't think it should. Thanks for any assistance!

Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 03:37 AM   #2
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
With the furnace selected on the thermostat, listen for the ignition sounds. Do you hear the motor start up to provide the initial startup sequence? If you don't get that, then the sail switch won't allow the control board to start an ignition sequence. Has it ever worked? You are under warranty, so dealer should repair. If you want to pay, then a mobile service tech is your next step. There is an internal led that will flash a code to tell the service tech if it is a circuit board failure, limit switch, flame sense fault, or ignition lockout fault. Unless you understand furnace operation and have some technical knowledge, don't try to troubleshoot this problem. Just my opinion as a former engineer. John
Old 11-07-2016, 03:57 AM   #3
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
Turn your gas off and turn it back on slowly.
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 04:25 AM   #4
Travelling Three
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19003
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by jcurtis934

With the furnace selected on the thermostat, listen for the ignition sounds. Do you hear the motor start up to provide the initial startup sequence? If you don't get that, then the sail switch won't allow the control board to start an ignition sequence. Has it ever worked? You are under warranty, so dealer should repair. If you want to pay, then a mobile service tech is your next step. There is an internal led that will flash a code to tell the service tech if it is a circuit board failure, limit switch, flame sense fault, or ignition lockout fault. Unless you understand furnace operation and have some technical knowledge, don't try to troubleshoot this problem. Just my opinion as a former engineer. John

Thanks John for the reply. There are no noises coming from the furnace, completely dead. I didn't see a red LED flashing either. The sail micro switch and wiring appeared to be securely attached. It appears the furnace isn't getting 12vdc but I haven't tried to measure it anywhere in the furnace. The furnace has never worked, at PDI it has Hot inside the unit and the PDI tech said the furnace would not come on under the heat conditions inside the unit but that he had it running during his PDI several days earlier. We've never had furnace problems with previous campers so I believed him...should have known better.
Travelling Three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 06:24 AM   #5
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Where did you buy your unit? I'd like to know so I don't go there for service if needed. Your service tech on your PDI was "full of bull"! The furnace WILL come on no matter what the temp is. You just have to turn the temp up higher than the inside temp is. If it were me I'd be taking the unit back to the dealer and tell them to fix it NOW! If you are on the road, call Keystone Customer Service and find an authorized dealer or mobile tech that can come out to your unit or that you can take it into to have it fixed. It's a new unit and under warranty! The call to Customer Service will get a file started on you problem and then they should recommend you a dealer to take it to if out of your purchasing area. Be nice about it when talking to the Service Rep from Keystone but ask them if they would like even more write-ups when the pipes freeze in the unit and they have to replace them because you have no heat to keep the pipes from freezing! Keep us informed on what you come up with.
LC may have the answer also. One thing I would ask is if you have propane going to the stove? If not, this could be the problem! If you turned your gas on to quickly, it triggers a valve in the tank to shut off the gas because it's sensing a rapid leak or whatever. Turn the propane off at the tanks, wait about two minutes and then turn the gas back on VERY SLOWLY! Have had this happen to me several time when replacing a tank. To big of a hurry!

Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 11:29 AM   #6
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
Assuming it is not a gas lockout, my manual shows a switch on the motor housing. Make sure it is on. I did have my outer cover off to clean out some mice stash once, but I can't remember where the led was. John
Old 11-07-2016, 11:56 AM   #7
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
This summer I thought my regulator between tanks was bad. Neither tank showed any propane an the stove wouldn't light. Once earlier in the summer I thought only one side tank was bad, as I filled them both and only one worked. Anyway, I read up on tanks and found a way to get the 'stuck' internal shutoff to open up. I took out the tank, dropped it a couple of inched onto concrete and while I was at it, turned it on it's side. Both of these were suggestions in articles on how to fix the tanks.
After this BOTH tanks worked! Kind of funny that both would stick at the same time.
So give it a try!!

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 04:30 PM   #8
tooth ferry
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17209
Just had very similar problem with furnace on my 2014. Turned out to be a wire nut had let go inside the inside cover of the living room AC. Thank goodness,simple fix.
tooth ferry is offline   Reply With Quote