Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-10-2016, 04:45 PM   #1
Kenleys Oompah
Established Member

M.O.C. #18656
Busted landing gear gearbox

Wow, I hate to post a whining feel-sorry-for-me post. Well, actually not that bad.

While extending the landing gear to mount my Mountaineer, I heard a high-pitched grinding noise, (probably left it running longer than I needed to) and the gear ceased to extend. Crap. Got the emergency crank (first time ever) and started turning. You know, if you're by yourself, it's a trick to determine which way to crank if you've never done it before. Then I noticed the shaft to which the crank was attached was moving as I tried to crank.

Took a closer look and found plastic lugs which held the motor/gearbox to a vertical mounting shaft had broken (more crap) so the entire motor was torquing as I tried to extend the gear.

There I was! Alone and the last one to leave this area in the CG, and not able to raise the front of my camper to mount onto the tow vehicle! Do I crouch under the pin box and push up really hard? Nah. Thankfully I had several pieces of 2x10 which I was able to arrange in such a fashion that they kept the gearbox from turning while I continued to extend the landing gear. Juuuuust enough to mount the trailer to the hitch.

We can skip the long discussion of whether or not I plan to fix this myself (way too much crap). It's at the shop getting repaired. Sadly, the tow vehicle is with it. Oh well, I had other stuff that needed to be worked on.

Has anyone else had this happen?

2006 Mountaineer 329RLT
2011 Ford F-250 Lariat 6.7
Kenleys Oompah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:49 AM   #2
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

That is why I carry 2 6 ton bottle jacks and 6 4X4X24 inch blocks of wood in the TV.

Both of my front legs failed on the first long trip we made and I had to go get them to hook and unhook for the rest of the trip. One of the legs even fell down on the road at 60 Mph.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 12:55 AM   #3
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Had one leg completely fail on the old single motor setup a couple of years back. Managed to get home, but had to jack up that side & then both to get unhooked and level the trailer. That managed to screw up the working one as well, so I just replaced the whole single motor setup with a new Bulldog two motor set. Wasn't that hard to do (although I had 2nd, 3rd and 4th thoughts when making a hole in the lower front for the switch assembly!). I posted a thread here about the costs in 2014: http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...hTerms=bulldog It only took about ten hours to do the work and a lot of that was spent removing the old and finding the right place to make a hole.

The new system vastly much better, although I had one motor seize up, but Cequent replaced it immediately. I don't worry about over taxing the motors when lifting the front, and can level side to side a bit. It also surprised me how easy it is to remove the legs - not a whole lot holding them on!
Old 06-11-2016, 03:35 AM   #4
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Yes it has happened many time.You can get a kit for repair.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 02:43 PM   #5
maxjr758
Established Member

M.O.C. #18468
hade this happen today after driving through horrendous traffic from Coral gables to Homestead. curb side would lower or raise, made a popping noise. I suspect the gears striped ? any advise on fixing it . were at USCG Marathon KEY
maxjr758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 03:08 PM   #6
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Happened to us as well. Venture had the replacement parts. I carry two large bottle jacks for flats and situations such as you experienced. Manual crank moves easily if you jack the weight off the legs before cranking.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote