Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 05-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #21
GreatWhite
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13339
I don't know squat or any of his buddies.. but, a thought.. are there limit switches on this? Could they likely be a culprit?

Do NONE of the slides work now?

Also wondering.. if the motor sounds like it's working.. is there a sheer pin that might be busted?

GreatWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #22
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
http://www.lci1.com/OwnersManuals/hy...20Gear-Web.pdf
I'm assuming you don't have a volt/ohm meter and amp probe.
If your pump motor is the same as in the drawing you should be able to eliminate everything behind the motor by disconnecting it from the RP Trombetta (solenoid) and apply power directly to the motor via jumpers from a reliable battery. If its ok it should run.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 10:33 AM   #23
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
This morning I found a video on YouTube on how the solenoid worked and how to test it. So I decided to go out and use what I learned. Solenoid still had power so I removed the switch cable from where it connects to the solenoid and jumped it directly to the battery….the slide motor started right up and began to move the slides. So I reconnected the switch wires to the solenoid and went in to the slide switch to recheck if I still had power at the switch. The switch still had power so I pushed the switch…nothing. So I removed the power wire from the slide switch and the “IN” wire from the switch and touched them together…nothing. I then removed the “OUT” wire from the switch and touched it to the power wire….nothing. So I decided to start over and go back over everything I did before. I went in and checked the 15A fuse in the 12V electrical panel and this time I had a light on above the fuse for the Slide/Porch light. I pulled the 12V 15A fuse out and it was burnt through (I had checked this fuse three or more times before and it looked ok and there never was a light on above the fuse). I replaced the 15A fuse and went out and pushed the slide switch… the switch worked!!! Everything is working ok now. Thanks for all the suggestions and help.
Bingo: By the way I went to Lippert and found the Lippert hydraulic pump assembly for $1240+, then did a Goggle search for Hydraulic Power Unit With 2QT Pump Reservoir Kit Model 643150 and found RVupgradestore.com and they only wanted $394.
http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Lipper...1.htm?CartID=1
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #24
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
For future reference remember that the fuse lights only light up when a switch or device is being used. So if you pressed the switch, it would light up then, but only when the switch was being used. On the cost issue, I am thinking that when the dealer replaced the whole thing on our previous 3400 that at that time it was around $300. We had a $0 deductible so it did not cost us anything on the extended service plan. Glad you got it worked out and you did a great service by detailing everything for the MOC for future reference as well. As well as saving yourself a bunch of money!!
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #25
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I've said for years that when a solution eludes you time after time, it usually ends up being something simple we overlooked to begin with. Good to here you're operational again.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #26
jmill8
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13434
Send a message via MSN to jmill8
I replaced motor/pump unit due motor drawing excess amps and kicking thermal switch. In my case, I pushed switch, slide would move little then stop. After rest period thermal would reset and could move slide little more till thermal kicked again. Probably not your problem but never know.
jmill8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #27
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Jim, most of us increased the amperage on the breaker, is yours OK now?
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 05:11 PM   #28
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
As Ozz said, many have increased the amperage on the breaker. Certain years had 30amp breakers. When this problem occurred, Keystone had the dealers replace it with 50amp breaker. They claimed everything was fine for 50a but they'd used smaller breakers. Probably a cost thing. Ours came from the factory with the 50a breaker.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote