Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2006, 04:55 AM   #1
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
Stereotypes

I just got an e-mail from Good Sam pushing their VIP awards insurance. And there is this "So Called" testomonial about this couple breaking down in Winslow Arizona and "This gap toothed mechanic with greasy hair and coke bottle glasses" is working on their RV.
I work on some of the nastiest equipment in the industry. Heavy equipment. There are numerous grease fittings which at every point has grease coming out of it and when I am called it is because something like a hydraulic line has broke. Simply put NASTY work. My work boots have never been in my house. There is not a spot of grease that makes it into my house and first stop is not the sofa but the shower. My work is nasty I do not have to be. I am not alone. I think most mechanics are reasonably clean. After all we do not want to work around the gap tooth greasy haired pigs either, they get run off. I know it is a commercial just trying to make their point. Just not very fair to portray mechanics that way, especially considering most of the corruption is done in the office by the clean guy wearing the slacks and shirt.
Just venting, have a nice day!

trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #2
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
I agree Rick,
My dad was a Plumber, I remember how he related job stories to me, he always cleaned up the job site when he was done, had shoe covers for home calls and I don't think he had any Bu## crack instances. Nevertheless, any Plumber commercials are not flattering to Plumbers, by any means.
No wonder many people hate commercials.
I'm a Pipefitter, specializing in Heating, Cooling, Electrical and Refrigeration, I do not resemble the crooked heating and cooling guys on TV news exposeas.
Keep making a good living for your family and bear in mind, many, many, people know mechanics clean up nicely!
Ozz
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 07:24 AM   #3
txkrumm
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5920
I too am a mechanic, My wife says I am more obsessed about my finger nails than most women. When I shake someone's hand I don't want them to know my profession by the grime under my nails.

Remember the old Ammoco commercial, the guy holding the water hose and wanting to work on transmission's, they made him look extremely uneducated.

The new cars and trucks have more computers than the first space shuttle, so we have to be on top of our game. Food for thought.

steve
txkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 08:30 AM   #4
Montana_1240
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1240
The type of people who say something like that, (broad and most often incorrect generalizations,) are quite often frustrated racist types who know that they can no longer get away with equally, or more slimy comments about people of other races. So they take aim at folks who aren't subject to the sensible protection of anti-discrimination laws.

When they open their mouths, they are identified. And what they say can, and should be used against them. If they write in a paper or periodical, let the publishers know your thoughts. If they are holding or seeking an office, let your fellow voters know your thoughts. In this case, let Good Sam's publication know. If they claim it was just a "joke," or meant to be “cute,” let them know it wasn't funny or cute.

If truth be told, we folks who live in RVs are also stereotyped, (most often incorrectly,) by a large segment of the population. Because I know a lot of fellow RVers, I know how incorrect such claptrap is, and defend us, or dismiss the comments as being from frustrated and obviously ignorant folks who speak before thinking on things they don't know about.

Just a Homeless Trailer Trash Guy,
Steve
Montana_1240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
One of my complaints with Good Sam is the amount of ads they bombard you with, day in and day out. I get more ads from them than any other organization to which I belong...and as noted above, they are bad ads.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:21 PM   #6
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Yes, I agree, I put them on my 'Blocked sender list'
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 12:29 PM   #7
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I, too, do not like all the Good Sam ads and inappropriate characterizations of people or professions. I must admit that I have their emergency road service (I have had to use it and it was great) and I just ran through them to GMAC for my insurance on my rig. Best deal I could find. Personally, I think when you are dissatisfied with what a company is doing you should contact them and let them know. That's what I did...even though it did not seem to stop the ads. I'm not trying to defend Good Sam, just throwing in my 2 cents worth...
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 01:34 PM   #8
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
As Txkrumm said todays engines are very specialized in cars and now getting into heavy equipment. The old "Grease Monkey" is over. It is a technical field and I probably make a better living financially than many "White Collar" workers. And best of all I am not stuck in a office.
Old 07-16-2006, 02:27 PM   #9
TheCoachPotatoes
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3847
I'll bet they are just jealous because you can do things they can't. I think the only difference between a truck mechanic and a surgeon is that the surgeon fixes people, and you fix trucks. Both are very technical jobs and not everyone has those kinds of gifts.
TheCoachPotatoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:28 PM   #10
Sweetfire
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4483
What I do with all the ads that have postage free return envelops is to stuff all the papers back into the envelope, that don't have my name on them, and mail it back to who ever sent it. They have to pay someone to open it, just a little pay back.
Sweetfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 03:34 PM   #11
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
A huge difference between me and a Surgeon it if a Surgeon kills his patient, the family still gets an outrageous bill.
I have to make it run if I want to get paid!
Old 07-16-2006, 05:30 PM   #12
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
I do the same return envelope stuffing that Sweetfire does. It takes only a moment but gives me great joy - lol.
My postal delivery person (I call her the mail/female) must think I fall for every advertisement I get.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 08:00 AM   #13
rickety
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4855
I too agree Rick. I worked with my hands most all my life, from aircraft mechanic, auto, andservicing dishmachines. For the most part (90%+) Mechanics are the salt of the earth, clean and most of them well educated in the art. Being a mrechanic requires knowledge in many different fields, flow mechanics, heat, air, electrical, hydraulic, just ot name a few. Hats off to the "Wrenchers"
rickety is offline   Reply With Quote