Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2016, 07:06 AM   #21
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
These things are large. I go the speed limit and get in the far right hand lane most of the time. Takes a lot to stop and I haven't changed the tires over to a better tire. So wave when you go by.

Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 12:43 PM   #22
oceandansar
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17865
when we hit the road I'm in no hurry on the interstate I run between 65 and 70 besides worry about blow outs it kills the mpg. we actualy take the 4 lane backroads when they are available.
oceandansar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 03:44 AM   #23
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I hear you. I still have the e-rated Trailer King tires and I was worried the entire time I was returning to FL from VA in 97 degree temps, driving no more than 65 and using the temp gun at each stop. Many FWs and TTs passed me at 70+, but I didn't see any down the road with a blowout. Perhaps some had LT tires or higher speed ratings, but........
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 04:00 AM   #24
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Trailer Kings are rated maz speed 65.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 05:25 AM   #25
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
We have new members joining and reading our posts every day. I hope they are smart enough not to do what some members brag about...driving an over weight truck and exceeding the speed limit. Even driving the speed limit on some highways out west is too fast for these rigs.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2016, 06:23 PM   #26
Mr Pachu
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17922
My Trailer King tires were rated for 75mph, (124/120L) but they were replaced with Sailun S637's.
Mr Pachu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 04:03 AM   #27
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We can not even put a count on the number of RV along side the road with blown tires on our recent 5,374.6 mile road trip most of it out west in very high temps.

Most of the time the speed limit was 70MPH and us at 62/65 were passed BY rv's as if we were standing still.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 07:47 AM   #28
Arizonacouple
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15914
I'm good and retired so maybe my perspective is a little different. I love to tow at 60mph. I'm relaxed because the road is wide open in front of me as everyone else is driving at s faster speed. I get to see the countryside instead of someone else's fender. Also I have plenty of opportunity to change my route if I see a destination that might be interesting. My motto: I'll get there when I get there.
Arizonacouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 10:09 AM   #29
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Arizonacouple

I'm good and retired so maybe my perspective is a little different. I love to tow at 60mph. I'm relaxed because the road is wide open in front of me as everyone else is driving at s faster speed. I get to see the countryside instead of someone else's fender. Also I have plenty of opportunity to change my route if I see a destination that might be interesting. My motto: I'll get there when I get there.
You can travel with us anytime.
Old 08-14-2016, 10:24 AM   #30
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I suggest you hot doggers go here and watch and read this! http://fifthwheelst.com/towing-to-fast.html
Last year I saw one of those $500,000 tag axle MH totally demolished bowing a steer tire after passing me like I was walking speed.
jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2016, 03:54 PM   #31
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
I think everyone has a different speed at which to tow their RV. I also think everyone has valid points as to why they tow at that speed. If 62 is the safe speed why isn't 55 a safer speed? If 70 is to fast why is 62 the right speed. I think it boils down to what you are comfortable towing at. Don't get mad at me but if I was 65/75/85 I would probably tow at a slower speed. At that age your usually not restricted to being back to work at a certain time and your reflexes are probably becoming a bit slower. In other words you are starting to become a road hazard in some ways, no different than those going to fast. Not trying to start a war here but actually stating statistics. In my driving in a car around the Phoenix area it is amazing that most of the problems on the freeways are people who are quite a bit older driving 10/20 MPH under the speed limit in their cars (not RV's) with traffic going hellter skelter all around them, there is also those that are not that old but are in to big of a hurry and are trying to go way faster than the flow of traffic. Either way it is a safety issue and makes a huge hazard on the roads that you have to be aware of and take into consideration.
I agree you can stop an RV at 62 MPH better that at 70/75 but I will bet my money on it that I can stop my RV at 50 MPH better than you can at 62 MPH.
I am not trying to piss anyone off but merely trying to apply logic here to the best speed at which to tow a trailer. There is no best/safe speed at which to tow a trailer. I believe that you should obey the speed limit and take into consideration the TV, RV and the tires and setup that you are towing with. Just because some people are more observant than others and have quicker response times than others mean that they might be able to safely tow a bit faster than others. Driver attention or fatigue also has a lot to do with towing ability. Bottom line is it takes a certain amount of distance to stop with our rigs towing a trailer. If somebody is able to see an accident about to happen and apply the brakes sooner it makes a huge difference.

I say drive at a speed that you are comfortable with but realize others may be comfortable driving a bit faster. I am not advocating people tow 75/85 MPH consistently. I am just saying their is no perfect speed at which to tow. It all depends on equipment, traffic and drivers ability and experience.

You will see me pass cars to get out of a pack of people doing what ever the lead car is doing on a snowy road because I do not like being part of the train. I would much rather pass a few cars and get out of the pack so I am not depending on what some other drivers abilities are or are not up to par. It is amazing as how people drive. As a comedian once put it, "any one going faster than me is an idiot and any one going slower than me is stupid".

Ok now I am safely off my soapbox without having anyone rear end me or having run into the back of another rig or even just been evolved in an accident.

Tom Marty

Old 08-15-2016, 07:12 AM   #32
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Is it not wise to run with in the speed rating of your tires. Many of these OEM tires do not
support speeds of 75/80 MPH or even 70 MPH.
Old 08-15-2016, 08:42 AM   #33
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
What Rich says is true. So why do the manufactures put 65 MPH rated tires on these rigs and send them out on 80 MPH interstates. I don't think you are unsafe running the speed limit, in the right place with the proper tires. These speed limits were put there because the highway thought they were safe.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 09:40 AM   #34
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We agree with Lynwood. For many of us like myself and wife we are retired. We have no particular schedule when traveling. We have no deadlines to meet. We are fully aware of how long it might take to stop @ 23,000 lbs of truck and Rv and in a panic stop there is little chance that we can do it no matter what the speed. The truck will pull the RV at 80MPH, We have the properly rated tires. But at this stage of our lives we prefer to take our time and get there when we get there. 62/65 MPH is not exactly slow. We travel mostly interstates and TPKS and keep in the right lane when on the secondary roads the speed limits are usually in the 60/65 MPH range anyhow.

We saw some pretty high tire temps in Mew Mexico and Arizona with air temps over 100 degrees and we measured the concrete in a truck stop at 124 degrees. If you are running a tire rated at 65 MPH at 75/80 in temps like that your chances for trouble are very high.
Old 08-15-2016, 02:45 PM   #35
TLightning
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7871
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mlh

... I don't think you are unsafe running the speed limit, in the right place with the proper tires...
JMHO, but some speed limits out west are 75 that's too fast to be pulling any trailer, regardless of tires.
TLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 03:33 PM   #36
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Why is 75 too fast when at times you can't see a vehicle in front or behind you? You have close to a hundred yard sholder on the side of the road. Why would 65 be safe?
Lynwood
Old 08-16-2016, 05:08 AM   #37
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
We just returned from a 10 day trip to the Upper peninsula. On the way home, just south of the Mackinac Bridge, I had a new Ford Powerstroke pass me doing probably 75-80 pulling a "Colorado" 5ver. I could see the right front tire on the trailer waving at me as it whizzed by. Sure enough, 25 miles up the road, there he was standing beside the trailer with his hat off scratching his noggin'.

Once I hitch up Hannah and her big a** to old Vinnie, I consider myself a truck and follow the truck speed limits and stay out of the left lane unless absolutely necessary.
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 05:39 AM   #38
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
You should have stooped to see, that is make sure he had his OEM ST tires on.
Lynwood