Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-13-2014, 01:53 AM   #1
Shep

M.O.C. #14592
New guy questions

I'm new here just a couple questions, first I have a friend that owns a 2009 montana with all the remote stuff.
He has been having trouble with the manual switches not working, so he's had to use the remote all the time (it's the only thing thats working)
A couple days ago he parked the camper next to his house very close, like three feet away.
He lowered the landing gear unhooked the truck, and all of a sudden the slides started extending.
Before he could get to the battery to unhook it two slides hit the side of his house and it didn't stop long story short, a lot of damage the pump motor we unhooked because it won't stop running.
We retracted the slides with a reversible drill, he's taking the unit to get a estimate for repair today.
My question is has anyone had this kind of problem and if so what was the culprit?

Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:57 AM   #2
Shep

M.O.C. #14592
Number two question, I have a 2002 montana, under the super slide is a plastic plate that looks like nylon, it has a beveled cut where the slide hits and lifts.
White nylon, my question can I buy this somewhere and what is it called?
Old 08-13-2014, 02:16 AM   #3
Ishler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1328
The first problem sounds like the remote module. This has been documented in the past. The second problem is probably the module also. You can bypass the module by removing the 12v power feed from the side (input) and connecting them to the 12v terminals on the top(output)(leave the existing wires there) this bypasses the module and only the switches will work. For full functionality the module will have to be replaced.
Ishler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:58 AM   #4
Shep

M.O.C. #14592
Thanks we suspected the module.
The second question was what the plastic slide lift is called and where I can purchase one?
Thanks again
Old 08-13-2014, 04:57 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Shep

Number two question, I have a 2002 montana, under the super slide is a plastic plate that looks like nylon, it has a beveled cut where the slide hits and lifts.
White nylon, my question can I buy this somewhere and what is it called?
If I understand what you are talking about correctly, my 2002 came without one at the back doorside slide. Keystone forgot to put it in, and I questioned the racket/noise when opening and closing. Good news for me it was under warranty. Bad news was the dealer had to pull the slide out of the coach to replace. Hopefully I did not understand correctly!
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:48 AM   #6
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
It would help is you told us the model of your 2002 Montana and exactly which slide you are referring to. But having been through this recently I think I know what you are talking about.

There is (at least in mine) a strip of nylon about 1" wide running the length of the slide. I believe in older rigs they used a Teflon material. You should be able to get it from a Montana dealer. But as 1Retired06 wrote, the bad news is you have to remove the slide to replace. But I bet you knew that already.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 01:32 PM   #7
Shep

M.O.C. #14592
Yes I knew the slide would have to be removed I didn't know what it was called?
Old 08-14-2014, 07:16 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
I don't know what that strip is called either. Mine was Nylon and a portion was crushed. The older Montanas used a Teflon material. The dealer speculated the nylon could be replaced but my heavy slide would probably crush it again in a year or two. They tried hard to get some Teflon strips from another brand they carry. They finally discovered some material which is stronger than Teflon and still slippery. The product is called Ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHWM for short), it comes in strips and was available locally. They fabricated a replacement for the slide opening and it works fine. Hopefully it will last a long time as it was s lot of work to pull out the slide and install the strip.
Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:38 AM   #9
Shep

M.O.C. #14592
Thanks Carl your answer was what I was looking for, I have the same problem to an extent, three screws came loose on the bottom of the slide,
They dug into the teflon strip and busted it up we have put in a steel piece where the damage was done but I was wanting to replace the teflon piece.