Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 05-13-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Yellowstone NP

My fellow traveler's have never steered me wrong. I am inquirying into nice campgrounds near Yellowstone NP since my 37 footer will not fit in Fishing Bridge. I'll be coming from the Tetons (south) and, eventually, exiting to the east. What campgrounds have impressed my fellow fifth wheelers? Thanks!

Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 02:28 PM   #2
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
We stayed at Fishing Bridge with no problem. Kind of tight but we got in OK. It was nice being centrally located in the park, not having to drive miles and miles from outside the park
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Fire5er
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3403
West Yellowstone is very nice and they have some really nice GCs. We really like Yellowstone Grizzly RV Park http://www.grizzlyrv.com/. This link shows places to the south http://www.yellowstonepark.com/where...outh-entrance/ but I have never stayed at any. We have stayed in a hotel in Jackson, but Jackson is a long way from Yellowstone. Good luck. We love Yellowstone and know you will have a great time. Hope you have a week or more.
Fire5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 03:58 PM   #4
timandsusan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5165
My 37.5 foot fit in Fishing Bridge with a crew cab, long bed F-350. Tight--yes, but it fit. We have also stayed at West Yellowstone, MT--Grizzly RV Park--nice town, good location, and great RV Park. Enjoy your time in Ystone! Wish I could go again! Wait until next year.
F-250 King Ranch Crew Cab 2012, Single Wheel, 6.7 L Diesel, Transfer Flow Internal 50 Gallon Fuel Tank, Upgraded Ford Software for 50 Gallon tank, 2006 3475Rl with Mor-ryde King Pin, 2nd AC, 2nd Battery, Pressure Pro TPMS, Wet Bolt Shackle Kit
timandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 PM   #5
onekla
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12436
We have stayed at the KOA and Grizzly at West Yellowstone. We keep going back to Grizzly, in fact we will be there again next month. It is in town but backs up to the forrest, the sites are level and much easier to get set up in. It may cost a little more that KOA but it's worth it to us. The staff was very friendly, the restrooms/showers were very clean and the laundry rooms were spotless. We drove through Fishing Bridge and yes, it is centrally located in the park, but the sites are so close together that you could probably hear your neighbors snore. Your slides nearly touch your neighbors. Not our kind of camping. We enjoy the drive into the park each day. We're early risers and enjoy driving into the sunrises which have given us some of our most treasured photos. KOA is more "kid friendly" which worked for us in years past. This will be our 4th trip to Yellowstone. I hope you enjoy your trip! Enjoy!
onekla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 05:49 PM   #6
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Check the National parks web site carefully before finishing your plans. When we were there last year there were some road closures or single lane situations due to wash outs. Also might want to check on Wyoming and Montana DNR web sites for same. We would have found it difficult to depart to the east at that time, so opted for West Yellowstone and then a run north, towards Billings, and then east and south and on to Custer.

I am not saying the road closure that would have affected us is still an issue, what I am saying is that the situation can change, mud slides, roads washing out, that sort of thing.

I believe we stayed at Rustic Wagon RV, they do have some pull through sites, and they have some small sites. The owner gave us one that held Tana, but, did not hold Big Butt, after asking us if we would mind parking Big Butt in the site across the road and walking to our truck. Nope, we did not. We shoehorned Tana in there, cause it really was a small back in site, but, once in it was not an issue, and we were fine. And, at that time Rustic Wagon was about $45.00 a night, and some of the other campgrounds around were up to $75.00 per night. The campground was clean and we had no issues, other than, we had to shoehorn it in. We were happy to do so. Worked for us, may or may not be something you can deal with, or want to.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 02:23 AM   #7
camper4
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6635
We fit in Fishing Bridge. Real snug and no electric and limited generator time but it was a great location for a home base. We would do it again.
camper4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 11:21 AM   #8
Art
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5316
Thanks for your input!
Art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I like to stay in the Madison CC. It is kinda away from some of the crowds and is centrally located in the park. I should be in Yellowstone in August. Let us know how many elk you see. When I go there seem to be fewer and fewer elk. I've been to Yellowstone about 8 to 10 times and there are fewer and fewer elk each time. Wyoming game department says the elk herds are way down.
Lymwood
mlh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:12 AM   #10
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We have stayed in the park and found the conditions cramped to the extent that our nex door neighbor had to ask us to pull in our slide so he could unhook. Grizzly in West Yellowstone is a beautiful park, and highly recommended. We found it to be a little pricey, but worth it in the long run.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 04:49 AM   #11
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
We do Yellowstone every year. We have stayed in Fishing Bridge with the Monty, no problem. West Yellowstone is going to offer you the most options. Personally we prefer Rocky Mountain RV in Gardiner (North Entrance). We are mostly interested in things on the North & East side of the Park. West Yellowstone is going to offer the best access to all areas of the park.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 05:07 AM   #12
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
How do you get that rig into Fishing Bridge? They must have improved access since I was there.
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #13
RickW
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9139
You would be amazed where I can get that rig but I have not gone back to Fishing Bridge since I started pulling with the Volvo.

For anybody who has never been to fishing bridge, you are up close and personal with all your neighbors. Each slot has room for 1 RV & 1 Vehicle. That is it. It was designed by an engineer for efficiency and not for comfort or scenery.
RickW is offline   Reply With Quote