Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-14-2012, 02:54 AM   #1
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Propane woes

Finally got away for a few days. Both propane tanks were empty so I had one filled and installed that heavy sucker on the right side (broke a d***ed nail). One of the few times I need a man around the trailer...

No flow on the right side, moved it to the left side. Now my back hurts...

Low flow on the left side. Yes, the selector switch is set correctly...

Stovetop lights, but not as much flame as I used to get. If I turn on a second stovetop burner, flow drops.

Condensation on the hose at the valve (enough to drip), tank is damp, too.

Odor in the tank compartment when the valve is open.

My initial assessment of the problem doesn't make sense as there are too many things gone wrong at once. Bad right side regulator? Bad tank switcher-thingie? Tank overfilled? Leaky tank? Is there one thing that could be causing all this? Never had a problem before this outing.

So I'm reduced to opening the tank only when I'm cooking, for now. Pain in the butt. Where's my tent???

patbarton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:28 AM   #2
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Did you open the valve on the tank very slowly to allow pressure to increase slowly? I recently had both tanks empty together and finally got
Normal operation after filling both tanks and opening valves slowly. Also had gas smell . Larry
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:31 AM   #3
Champ_49
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9045
Send a message via Yahoo to Champ_49
May not cure your problem Pat but will give you a couple of ideas. You say you have only one tank in place is my understanding. Make sure both are hooked up as I never trust them valves from not leaking themselves. Next close your valve and unhook your hose to full tank. Once you have done that hook it back up, but WHEN you turn the valve on, turn it on very Slowly. Sometimes them valves don't like to be opened fast. If that don't work the history of them valves is failure happens quite frequently. Thats means replacing the valve. Hope this helps, and I am sure others will come along with some ideas also.

Dave
Champ_49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 03:35 AM   #4
southern thunder
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12211
You might mix up some soapy water in a spray bottle and spray on connections to see if you have a leak.
southern thunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:03 AM   #5
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Agree on checking for leaks. You didnt indicate if tanks were left open or closed. I would think unusual that you would find both tanks empty. Common thread of course is the regulator, if the tanks were left open.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 04:38 AM   #6
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Both tanks are connected; empty tank's valve is closed. I'll try the slow-open thing later today,

Thanks, y'all!
Old 03-14-2012, 05:28 AM   #7
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Did you lay the tanks down on their side?....there is a valve inside the tank that may be out of position.
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 06:26 AM   #8
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
I have been told in the past that after running out of propane that I could have an air lock as well. The process I am told is to disconnect both tanks, go inside to the stove and open range burners to unlock pressure. Then shut of all controls, re-attched both tanks and open propane tank slowly. When they say slowly they mean extremely slowly. One day when I was having this problem and it was extremely quiet here on the acreage I could hear a click when I was opening the propane valve at the tank. That meant I opened the valve too fast and the flow check valve(or whatever it is) clicked in and shut off the flow. I then had to repeat the proceedure above all over again and it worked. I also would place the full tank on the drivers side and try to get the system first working by drawing 1st from the shorter route. Keep us posted.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #9
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Pat, I'd be with Steve on this one! IF you layed the tank/s down or it fell over on the way to or from the fill I'd say it has closed that check valve some so the flow is not there. You may have to remove the tank (another back breaker) and shake the tank to free up the valve. If that doesn't do it then I'd say Darmar has the cure! Let us know what you come up with!
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2012, 05:30 PM   #10
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Well, I know the tank has never been on its side, so that wasn't the problem.

I disconnected both tanks, opened the gas at the stove, and went to sloooowly turn on the tank on the driver's side. Right off I heard gas leaking. I ran my fingers along the tube and sure enough, there was a considerable leak! P.S. There is a little red regulator on this side.

Moved the tank to the opposite side, opened the valve slowly, and turned on the stovetop burners. YAY! Good pressure! And no leaks.

I can't believe I didn't hear that leak earlier (it was LOUD).

Thanks to all for the suggestions. Now I can enjoy my camping trip without being afraid of being blown up in my sleep.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Is it leaking from the regulator? If so,it might not have leaked right away,it is probably the regulator failing.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
patbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11268
Joe,

As soon as I felt the leaking gas with my finger, I sort of "forgot" to check exactly where the leak was. I think I said something that rhymes with "spit" and isolated that side of the system.

But it felt as though there may have been a break in the hose. I'll check it more when I get home. As long as it isn't leaking now, I'm happy for the time being. There is plenty of propane in the tank to last the week. My guess is that the break happened while taking the Mountie to storage. I probably forgot to shut the tank valves, and with the switcher-thingie set in the middle, both tanks drained through that leak over time. Bouncing down I-59 in Alabama likely aggravated the break.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #13
pineranch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9765
Don't recommend setting the switcher-thingie in the middle. Good way to drain both tanks then you are up a creek. Tempted to tell a blonde joke, but it's Lent.
Mike
pineranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
Pat
I had exactly the same problem you described two years ago. Red regulator went bad ( not the main regulator) but the one on streetside. Replace it. Then you will also have to replace each of the hoses that feed from the tanks to the regulators (not expensive)
Each of the hoses have a diaphragm that shuts down the flow when it detects a leak or over pressure.
Hope this helps. I am traveling down to your neck of the woods to Desoto state park tomorrow to try out the new truck. Not a long haul from Ooltewah, getting ready for a Carabelle FL fishing trip in may.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 12:58 PM   #15
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Pat, still be very careful and check where the leak was with soapy water. When I had my problem in NM (Keystone had over threaded the black pipe causing a leak) the repair tech told me not to use the propane until he could fix the leak. He said he has seen a number of the switcher things leak, at least slightly back the other way. Mine was fine and hopefully yours is also, but I would check the leak with soapy water just to make sure.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #16
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
Thats the main reason I will not have the small regulator on mine. I never saw a need for it and they seem to be prone to leak. mine never had one I just open that side slowly and never had a problem. JMHO
Bobby
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote