Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2007, 06:26 AM   #1
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
Generator 's

Does anyone have , or have any knowledge of the Gauaridian 5500 LP Generator ,,,, I'm getting prices of about 50% lower than the Onan ? I plan on using the generator on the road and a once in a while situation ,, I knaw the Onan is good but the other is very tempting ? Any opinions ?? Thank's jerryb

jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2007, 07:26 AM   #2
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jerry,

I hadn't heard of them until now - http://www.ampgenerators.com/guardia...-lp-m4703.html

Best part is they have the same bolt pattern as Onan, which is what Keystone uses for the generator prep template. I have no experience with Guardian, but there is sure nothing wrong with that price! I'd be interested in what you hear.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2007, 01:03 PM   #3
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
I am pretty sure Guardian and Generac are the same folks and that is heck of good buy. I never thought of them I just bought a Onan, for about 1700.00 more than the 6500 Guardian. I had a Generac for many years with no issues from home use and for my lodge house use,m still have it but don't use it unless power is out here at home. Finally got power at lodge house, so I would say go for it.
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 12:53 AM   #4
jerrybb
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6198
Well I have done a lot of researsh and really answered my own questions ,,, althought the Generac/Guardian is a lot less expensive , the Onam is better Quality by far ,,,, better warranty ,,,, and more place's for repairs across the country ,,, so I am going with the Onan 5500 watt lp ,,, did get a real good price to , Just thought I'd pass this on!
jerrybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 05:20 AM   #5
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
Jerry - sounds like you did your research. You won't be sorry with the Onan. Ours has performed well. Takes a little to get it started if I've had the tanks shut off, but if I purge the air out of the lines through the stove first, that usually does the trick.

I've had ours serviced at Cummins here in Denver. Kind of cool to pull in with all the big boys with the rear diesel pushers or over the road trucks, and there's me with my little 2 cylinder.

Enjoy
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 08:04 AM   #6
Delaine and Lindy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6650
Hi Jerry, we had a Generac/Guardian (Gas)build in Arizona by Mountain Master its a 50 amp system its called a tool-box Generator. Its mounts in the bed of your TV. It's totally portable we don't use it for travel, we also have a Onan. We use it here at our Home Base in Tennessee. This is our 2nd system by Mountain Master, had a 30 amp system the first time. I use the Generac were ever I need electric and I just set it in a two wheel trailer I got just for that purpose. It will also be used here at DW's dads farm. It is fully automatic with remote control and all the safety systems for low oil which will shut the system. We also have a 5500LP on board system, its by Onan.

Camping World will do repairs and warranty service for the Generac, its makes less noise than the Onan (my opinion). And haven't had any problems with either system. However Onan has a very good reputation. Good Luck....GBY....

Mountain Master in Arizona does a great job on design and their system works.
Delaine and Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote