Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2006, 04:49 PM   #21
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
Sounds like you are really doing your research. To the best of my knowledge the trailering equipment pkg is a class 4 receiver hitch and wiring harness on the rear bumper with provisions for a wire harness in the bed for gooseneck and 5th wheel towing. The trailering mirrors are much better than previous models, I would make those a must. The ext cab longbed 3500 Duramax would also be an amazing towing machine. Happy shopping, I hope you are able to find the right truck for you and your wife. =)

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:36 PM   #22
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
Steve try pushing the button next time you are backing with the trailer. After the beeping stops put it in drive and then go back to reverse. It should sound again. My '04 and current '06 both reset to on once it is removed from reverse.

And just for the record I have owned 1 Chevy truck in my lifetime so far and it was an awesome truck. It was a big block 454 and pulled like a freight train. But only got 10-11 mpg and that was when I got interested in the diesels. But Chevy didn't have much of a diesel back then and the 7.3 was the best out there at the time. That got me hooked on Fords and the rest is history. Although, someday I may wonder back to the other side of the fence and try them again. Will have to change my user name then.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:35 PM   #23
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
David:

My comments about the birthing problems of the Ford 6.0L engine were intended to inform you, if you were not already informed, of those issues. Those birthing problems may be history for all I know. From what I have heard, Ford has supported customers who have had these problems with the required warrantly work and in many cases have exchanged whole trucks at no cost to the owners. So it appears Ford has been honorable trying to resolve a nasty problem. My friend in California who went through 3 of them obviously became so frustrated by the hassle he had to move on. Ford not only replaced the F350's he had problems with but also paid for the aftermakrket add-ons he had installed to get him back to where he started on the first one. Ford was trying but the God's were against them.

I have owned Ford trucks for years and it would be very hard for me to change brands. Over the many years Ford trucks have been very reliable for me and have always performed to my expectation. In 2003 I picked up that Ford was having birthing problems with the 6.0L engine so I stayed with the 7.3L engine. If the 6.4L engine performs well on future Ford trucks I will probably own one someday. But as happy as I am with the 7.3L engine it may have to get a bit long in the tooth before it gets retired. There is one philosophical argument I have against the 6.0L or 6.4L engines vs the 7.3L. In order to produce the same and/or higher HP they have to turn at a higher RPM than the 7.3L. More RPM equals more wear (or less life) in my simple analysis. I'm sure that is an over simplification.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 03:16 AM   #24
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't get me wrong about the diesel..We hope to have one in a year or so IF there is a good one out there.We would not have bought ANY brand of Diesel in 05 or now.Perhaps we are to close too the issue being here in Ford country and driving a diesel every day. We have been to many seminars (Ford , International) on the up coming effects of the new EPA and fuel standards on the diesel motor.These were not rumors but factual data. My interpretation of that data ,and my interpretation only, was ..wait and see how this all falls out.Meanwhile the V-10 yanks the 3400 around with no problem and not real great fuel milage but then again when the diesel guys are real honest about their MPG, it is not all that bad..remember I drive a Diesel every day..keep fuel logs on everything we drive.. I am real hard to fool..

Rich& Helen N.Ridgeville,Ohio.

F-350SD, Lariat, V-10,4:30 Diff, tow command Long bed, Crew Cab Dually, 06 3400RL
Mor-Ryde Pin Box

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:46 AM   #25
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
David, I don't know about the GM's but on the Ford I don't think there's much difference between 2006 and 2007. Mostly trim. Until the new engine is available, anyhow.

Ron, thanks! I will now turn that thing off when backing the Montana without worrying that I will forget to turn it back on.

Diesel mileage. Seems to depend a lot on the rig, the terrain, the wind, and the speed. No different than for gassers. My diesel mileage went down a bit with the last reflash of the engine computer. Towing a total rig weight of 22,920 I'm averaging between 11 and 11.5 overall. With my '99 F350 V10 gasser with total rig weight about a thousand pounds less I averaged 8.2. Solo with diesel on the road I average anywhere from 17 to 21. With the V10 it was 12 to 14. Yesterday on a trip to Topeka I held speed to under 70 and averaged 19.2. There was a small amount of city driving in there and two stops at toll booths. That's just an 80 mile trip though. City driving varies and so does the mileage. If it includes maybe half city freeway I'll average 16 to 17 solo. With the gasser it was 10 to 12. If it's all city stop and go it will be in the 15 to 16 range. In winter when on winter diesel in cold climates mileage will run 1 to 2 mpg less. Overall I average about 40% better mileage with the diesel than with the V10 I had. I paid a premium for the diesel but expect to get it back at tradein time. I did with the prior diesel tradein. There are lots of reasons to go with gas over diesel or diesel over gas. The above is just one factor to consider. Personal preference is a big factor.

Ron, many people probably won't believe this but I've owned more GM vehicles in my life, including the first two and four of the first five. Only one was a GM truck and it was a captive - brand spanking new 1975 Chevy Luv pickup lemon. I think it was almost as bad as Ford's captive Courier. I've had one Dodge, a conversion van. Good vehicle. I've owned about 60 vehicles, not including motorcycles and rv's.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:55 AM   #26
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I do not see myself going back to a gas motor as long as I own a truck. My GM dealership claims for the "average" driver to benefit from the additional cost of a diesel, they would have to keep it 5 years or more. Of course those of us who drive more will recoup the cost much sooner. My truck averages 19/21 highway empty (all the time). Have seen as high as 23 mpg empty on the open roads under 70mph. All city driving averages 16/18. Towing the coach comes in 12/14 mpg and the boat is 16/18, as Steve said,"There are lots of reasons to go with gas over diesel or diesel over gas. The above is just one factor to consider. Personal preference is a big factor."

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 08:01 PM   #27
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Here are a couple more options you might want to consider. You have the "camper/5th wheel trailering package" option, $35, which is a 7 wire plug that comes between the cab and bed. You can then have it installed in bed of truck to make hooking up easier. I didn't get it, and just plug mine into plug at bumper, which comes with trailering package. The spare tire lock is now an option. I think it is $15 bucks, and well worth it. My '02 came with the winter front covers, but that is now an option. I very rarely use, so unless you live in real cold weather, I would wait and get aftermarket if you decide you need. You want the heavy duty trailering like you said. The new trailer mirrors are woth the extra bucks in my opinon. Don't know if you have considered the sunroof, but what the heck is a few more bucks? As far as the alternator package that Ford offers, the Ford dealer said unless I was going to convert it into an ambulance, I didn't need it.

2004 Montana 2955RL
2002 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LT
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 02:51 PM   #28
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Couple of more GM tidbits...the 5th wheel trailer option comes with the wiring, but not the end/recepticle, don't ask why not, and the D/A comes with an engine heater as standard. The spare lock has always been an option, it was on my 1500 LT. I too have heard lots of good things about the mirrors...finally.

My dealer called today and said my 2007 Classic D/A DRW CC is built and is 'enroute' to him...whatever that means.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:17 AM   #29
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
My Ford came standard with the spare tire lock but forgot about it until I had a flat and the service guy couldn't get the spare to drop. The handle just went round and round. Once the light went on and I remembered the "key" thing in the glove box, all was well. Just don't lose that key.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 06:35 AM   #30
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
I hate to disagree with you Cat320, but I pulled the sticker from my '02 LT, and it lists the spare tire lock as a standard, not an option. As I remember, it was '03 or '04 that it became an option, the same time the winter covers became an option.

2004 Montana 2955RL
2002 Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison LT
2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #31
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
2002dura wrote..."I hate to disagree with you Cat320, but I pulled the sticker from my '02 LT, and it lists the spare tire lock as a standard, not an option. As I remember, it was '03 or '04 that it became an option, the same time the winter covers became an option."

Sounds like 'ole GM trying to generate some more revenue by changing things from 'standard' to 'option.' When I ordered my 2005 LT, I told them I did not want the lock...I guess they make them all with locks, because my truck came with it as a $15 option, and the dealer 'absorbed' the cost. When I ordered the 07, it was still listed as an option, but I told them that I'd pay for this one!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 05:06 PM   #32
boat391
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5756
The biggest option I can suggest is the rear seat Dvd player the best babysitter in the world the grand daughters love it and stay entertained for almost the hole trip except for potty breaks lol we have a fully loaded 03 duramax dually for my money its the only way to pull my 3400 this is my second one and will be buying another when the time comes

tim ford
boat391 is offline   Reply With Quote